Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 AM

7,041 posts, read 14,943,139 times

Advertisements

I have recently been given the opportunity to tour eastern Asia for two weeks this summer at a very low cost. I had a similar opportunity last year that I bypassed due to many concerns here on the job/economic front (plus a massive earthquake) but this is something that really interests me. At any rate, my (grown) sons took it upon themselves to ensure that my deposit was paid as my Christmas gift.....SO.....

I am now going to have to get in better shape since walking will be a major component of this trip. I am considering the YMCA in Mecklenburg county as there are swimming pools (I love to swim) and could probably ease myself into an exercise program using water exercises and building up to water aerobics. My question is this:

Has anyone used the University YMCA? What are your opinions? Cabarrus County is on a completely different system and the closest facility is the Kannapolis one (that has an indoor pool). Has anyone used that facility? What would be the comparisons? The price difference is considerable so I really need to know/understand what I am either gaining or loosing by paying whatever fee I decide on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 11:46 AM

3,364 posts, read 9,979,674 times
I am in the Meck. YMCA I go swimming at lunchtimes a couple of days a week, I even have been known to go spinning as well.

I love all the different programs they have.

Same rule applies with any gym if you make use of it it is worth the money.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I am in the Meck. YMCA I go swimming at lunchtimes a couple of days a week, I even have been known to go spinning as well.

I love all the different programs they have.

Same rule applies with any gym if you make use of it it is worth the money.
Good to know. Which branch do you usually use?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,491,257 times
I have been to a few Y's in the area and have liked them all including the one in University. You might want to check if they have a discount agreement with your company. I don't have to pay a joining fee because of the agreement they have with mine.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Good to know. Which branch do you usually use?
I use the Childress Klien by the Hilton during the week and use Steel Creek at the weekends (does not have a pool)

Old 01-03-2009, 02:38 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,436,743 times
Congratulations on your commitment to an exercise program!

I joined the Y in Ft Mill several months ago and its a great facility. Hope you find your local Y to be just as nice!

Now....kick me in the tush and tell me to get back into the exercise program I was so dedicated to when I joined! LOL

Old 01-03-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post

Now....kick me in the tush and tell me to get back into the exercise program I was so dedicated to when I joined! LOL
Consider your tush kicked good and hard.

I can use the Ft. Mill or Gold Hill one 3 times a month with Mecklenburg membership.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Has anyone used the Cabarrus County ones? Since the price difference is fairly substantial, I would like to know the difference...

Old 01-03-2009, 06:54 PM

338 posts, read 791,817 times
I use the University one, it can get crowded after work, but for the most part they lots of equipment, friendly staff and it's kept clean. I have used the indoor pool a couple of times. It also is a Metro only site meaning you can't get a single location site membership for it, but the benefit of that is you get to use all the other sites in the county as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte