U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 09:33 AM

7 posts, read 20,051 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Are there any transplants from Northern VA? How has Charlotte treated you? Was it a good move or do you have any regrets?

Thanks for your comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 AM

21 posts, read 44,687 times
I lived in DC then Mclean as a kid, went to GMU. Moved down here 12 years ago. Both kids were born down here. My wife who grew up all over (military family) got a transfer via First Union, and loved it down here from the start. Once I realized she wasn't going back, it took me about 3 years to stop missing DC/NOVA area.

Now I go back and just cringe at the traffic in NOVA. I have family in Reston, Mclean and Arlington. All of them live in older neighborhoods where tear-downs are the trend. My brothers house is about 1800 sq ft, and the house across the street is being bulldozed to "make room" for a 5000 sq ft McMansion.

The only regret I have is leaving family back up there. They all used to visit a lot when USAir had $100-150 round trip tickets. Now they drive, which is not as appealing to them.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:04 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,128,863 times
I moved here from Arlington two years ago and have liked it so far. I actually prefer driving when I go up there because every single time I have flown into Dulles the flight has been delayed or cancelled. Only takes about 5 hours and I get to listen to XM/Sirrus.

I echo what btgo says about NOVA traffic though. Fortunately, when I go for business I can stay at the Hyatt in RTC so I don't have to drive in rush hour traffic.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:24 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,915,757 times
I lived on Oakton for 18 years before moving to Baltimore for a few years. From Baltimore I moved to CLT in November 2007. I miss the lifestyle of NOVA but not the high costs. Charlotte is a wonderful place to live and I enjoy my life here very much.

All that said, there are some things I still miss about VA and I visit there often. I sure do NOT miss the traffic there though!!! Should you decide to relocate away from VA, Charlotte would be an outstanding choice for a new home.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:26 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,868,655 times
DH and I relocated to Charlotte after a brief stint in Raleigh for six months. We lived in Alexandria for 10 years and have been in Charlotte for just over one year now. We also just purchased our first home, something we could not afford to do in Alexandria. Overall, we have been very happy here in Charlotte and are glad to be putting down roots here.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,343 times
I was born and raised in Herndon, and moved back to Fairfax for almost 3 years after graduating from Virginia Tech. My husband received a job offer down here in February, and we jumped at the chance to move. We miss our families and friends who are still in Northern VA - and delicious ethnic food - but we love the fact that rush hour isn't a concern (I used to commute to Bethesda), the city is so cute, and we can afford to buy a nice house here, which we were completely unable to do in Fairfax. We've loved it here so far!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,171,245 times
Yup. There are a ton of NOVA people down here. When I was at the DMV getting my licenese the guy told me everyone he has seen so far that day was from Fairfax County VA.

We love it down here. No complaints (except crime seems higher then NOVA).

Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 AM

307 posts, read 629,034 times
I currently live in Charlotte and I am from Fairfax Va. I lived in nova my entire life and came down here to try it out with my fiance because he was from this area and convinced me.

Well I am moving back to Fairfax. The main reason is bc things between us did not work out and all of my friends and family are up there. I really like it here, there are some things I am very fond of like Lake Norman, the wonderful parks around the lake, nice shopping, and low home prices. But I miss Nova so much. Uptown is nice but I don't think it compares to DC and I really miss DC too. I am actually happy to be moving back but sad about a few things down here that I liked and the fact that it just didn't work out for me.

Home costs are a huge thing too. I am not sure how important that is to you but you can probably have a better quality of life down here. Less traffic as well...

I hate the traffic in nova but there are ways to deal with it like live close to where you work. It all comes down to what is important to you and what you want in life.

I like Charlotte and will have fond memories of it but Nova is my home and it took moving to realize that.

Oh, I am editing this to add that while home costs are lower here there are a lot of things that cost more that I did not realize.

Sales tax is higher, my car property tax was higher, gas is higher, food costs more, utilities cost more, and my car insurance rates are higher. It's just something to think about and look into because I really did not.

Last edited by JLK706; 01-05-2009 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or