U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,058,840 times

Advertisements

There was an ad in the Observer last week and I called them to come in and have the work done. We have noticed that we have a lot of dust in my house and I thought this might help.

The man came in and had a huge vacuum with a HEPA filter on it and a 100 ft hose. He removed the grates from the vents and then snaked the hose into the vents. He did the same for the returns. He also did my dryer vent while he was here.

They offered 8 vents and 1 return for $59.00. Each additional vent was $10.00 and additional returns were $15.00, dryer vent was $25.00. Total spent this morning was $175.00 which I don't mind if it reduces the dust and "Cleans" them.

Here's my question: He "recommended" that I let them treat the vents and returns with something called EnviroCON to eliminate and control germs and micro-bacteria / dust mites and feces for an additional $128.00. They would also treat the vents with a sealant to prevent re-soiling and contamination for $280.00 additional. I declined at the time and he had "to call his manager" to let him know which I thought was weird.

1) Has anyone ever had their air ducts cleaned or do you clean your ducts regularly?

2) Would you have the ducts sealed?

Thanks,
Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 02:41 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,109,142 times
I am personally considering REPLACING my ducts. For just a little more money, you can get new, and better ductwork....

Old 01-03-2009, 03:55 PM

124 posts, read 322,805 times
I did some research on air duct cleaning before I sold my place in Va and was told what a delicate procedure air duct cleaning was and unless the person is extremely adept at doing this they could puncture the ducts and then they would have to rip out the ceiling and walls to replace the ducts to repair it and it was a very expensive thing. My brother who is very resouceful and has been in his home for 35 or more years said he has never had his air ducts cleaned or serviced and doesn't know the purpose of doing that except to make money for the offering company. I suggest getting lots of opinions before going forward with this costly expense. Sounds like they did a number on you. Maybe evironmental control company could answer some of your questions. Good Luck

Old 01-03-2009, 04:05 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,058,840 times
I don't think they "did a number on me". Taking a look at the hose that they used and the ducts that are installed, they couldn't have punctured anything. If it did nothing else than suck up the dust and debris that was left over from the construction process I'm happy. I was curious if anyone else has had it done and done anything additional.

There's a lot of companies out there offering this type of work, so I wanted to get some conversation started.

Thanks,

Old 01-03-2009, 04:13 PM

I've talked with a lot of HVAC people plus one young lady learning the trade and the consensus is this:

many builders in Charlotte in the late 80's and possibly 90's (maybe later, don't know) used cheap square ductwork when building the homes. Many used insulation that is INSIDE of the ductwork. Over time, the insulation breaks down and comes into your home as dust. Additionally, if you had a new HVAC system installed (that is more powerful than the first one), you have the added probability of breaking down the ductwork itself. Replacing this inferior ductwork is not horribly expensive...around $1000.00 or so depending on what is involved. I am going to call this spring for an estimate and see what all is involved . for that price, it would be worth it for me not to live in dust. (I am allergic to dust)

Old 01-03-2009, 04:56 PM

19,817 posts, read 55,819,182 times
I paid extra, when installing a new furnace, to have some kind of electrostatic filter added. It is supposed to be better at trapping germs, allergens, etc.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I paid extra, when installing a new furnace, to have some kind of electrostatic filter added. It is supposed to be better at trapping germs, allergens, etc.
I did, too. Apparently, though, this dust stuff (coming from the deteriorating insulation) is beyond that filter in the actual ductwork....rendering that filter useless for that situation.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:38 PM

440 posts, read 1,008,064 times
We moved into our 5 year old house this summer. I noticed 3 of the rooms smelled like body odor. I called my HVAC company who referred me to a co that specializes in cleaning. They said the smell was bacteria. They said I should get them cleaned & use their solution too. I asked them to clean it w/o the solution b/c I'm sensitive to chemicals. Well they cleaned, & there was no improvement, so I asked them to come back & use their solution & it eliminated the smells in 2 rooms completely & the other about 95%! They said I could have installed some sort of infrared type filter to prevent the bacteria from growing. Which i may do-about $600. & the job to do my entire downstairs was about $600. They said the cheaper companies skimp & they explained how but i don't remember. so anyway, can't speak about the dust situation, but they definately do something right with their cleaning. Oh & my allergist said it's totally normal for people in the south to get their ducts cleaned every few years.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:58 PM

124 posts, read 322,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPie View Post
We moved into our 5 year old house this summer. I noticed 3 of the rooms smelled like body odor. I called my HVAC company who referred me to a co that specializes in cleaning. They said the smell was bacteria. They said I should get them cleaned & use their solution too. I asked them to clean it w/o the solution b/c I'm sensitive to chemicals. Well they cleaned, & there was no improvement, so I asked them to come back & use their solution & it eliminated the smells in 2 rooms completely & the other about 95%! They said I could have installed some sort of infrared type filter to prevent the bacteria from growing. Which i may do-about $600. & the job to do my entire downstairs was about $600. They said the cheaper companies skimp & they explained how but i don't remember. so anyway, can't speak about the dust situation, but they definately do something right with their cleaning. Oh & my allergist said it's totally normal for people in the south to get their ducts cleaned every few years.
Just FYI an Excellent Site
"Should you have the air ducts in your home cleaned"

Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 PM

201 posts, read 856,013 times
We had them cleaned because we did a major reno and had floors done and the guys ran the ac...so we had SOOO much dust in there...

But I do want to mention that I think we were scammed regarding mold in the ducts..that's what happens when I leave the house for an hour and husband deals with them When I got home he told me contracted to have "mold" removed for upwards of a grand I think and showed me their pre-printed mold print-outs aimed to scare you...there wasn't even any kind of mold test done....there is totally no mold and we were totally scammed....general cleaning is probably a good idea and shouldn't be that expensive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or