U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,784,037 times

Advertisements

It's simple ...

Charlotte IS North Carolina
Cincinnatti IS Ohio
NYC IS New York State
Phiadelphia IS PA

The overspill from these areas into neighboring states should not be considered a portion of that particular city or metro area ... but they oftentimes are.
Charlotte is a part of Mecklenburg Co ... and I always disliked the association with neighboring SC ... it distorts the identity of the region in some ways.

I'm just particular about such things ... when I think of Charlotte, I don't think of Rock Hill, SC ... even tho it's included as part of Charlottes overall metro area.

When I think of Detroit, I don't consider Windsor, Ontario as a portion of metro Detroit ... although it's considered in that manner.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:45 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,920,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post

There are indeed many moving to North Carolina ... there's no doubt about that.
But to insinuate that the majority of masses are moving to NC when they become dismayed with their present location is a bit over the top!
There are also a great many who are leaving North Carolina too ... in part due to the still conspicuous "redneck" factor, the overcrowding and skyrocketing costs of their cities and the toll it is exacting on the once untouchable allure.
North Carolina is gorgeous ... in the western regions. The mountains are spectacular ... the piedmont is a real "snore and bore" and the coastal regions look like any other coastal area.

Florida, with all of it's weather related dangers and mosquito infested swamps still attracts more than North Carolina.
Let's not forget the awesome American southwest either ... Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado are attracting many, many new residents.
Are you drawing these conclusions from the same source where you figured out that Columbus has 250K greater population than Charlotte? No doubt the NC mountains are beautiful. Charlotte is only 90 minutes from there including the highest mountain range in eastern North America. It's one of the great things about this area we are also 3 hours from the beach. So in the same weekend you can snow ski and water ski.

I laughed at your characterization that Florida is full of mosquito infested swamps and the NC Coast, with it's outer banks and sound, are just like every other coastal area. This is obviously spoken from ignorance so I'm not going to try and clear that one up. I won't make the same broad incorrect generalizations about Ohio because it is pointless and I don't need to take this tactic to prove anything about Charlotte. Obviously you are not familiar concerning Charlotte's relationship to SC that extends back to colonial days. My mom's family has been here over 200 years, they have lived on both sides of the line, and all consider themselves part of Charlotte. Remember this used to be Carolina, but I assume that someone from a place that was not one of the British colonies and original 13 United States probably didn't consider this.

If you don't believe us about people moving to Charlotte then read the endless relocation topics in this on the reasons why people want to move here. I would challenge you to show us anywhere on this forum where there is an equivalent for people looking to leave NC.

You are of course entitled to your opinion the Southern Piedmont is snore and bore, full of rednecks and overcrowded and expensive. We don't mind that you have this opinion because thankfully, you are one less person that is going to move here from your state.

Last edited by lumbollo; 11-19-2009 at 05:07 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,784,037 times
Yup, I've already lived in North Carolina ... other than it's beautiful mountainous regions, I have lost nothing there at all.
To correct you though, I have traveled throughout the entire state of NC ... so I'm well aware of what I'm saying here. The coastal areas in North Carolina have very few differences from the coastal areas of Florida, South Carolina or Virginia ... other than the fact that the NC coast isn't as
commercialized or overbuilt.
I'm glad you don't want me to move to North Carolina, I could care less! ... but then you need not worry, I've been there and done that!
If I ever left Ohio again ... Colorado, Utah or northern California would be on my radar.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,920,480 times
Quote:
I'm glad you don't want me to move to North Carolina, I could care less! ... ...
I always say its actions not words that matter. In regards to caring, I have not made ANY posts in this forum anywhere in the Ohio section if there is one. For one that doesn't seem to care what Charlotteans think, you sure have made a lot of posts in the Charlotte forum. Like I said its the actions.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:07 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,987,171 times
Ok, I see TONS of population stats on this thread. Hopefully I can help separate the myths from reality.

Charlotte and Columbus are two cities/metros that both could brag that one is larger than the other. Take a look at the city/county/MSA/CSA population's of both.

Columbus
754,885 city (210 sq/mi roughly)
1,118,107 county (540 sq/mi roughly)
1,725,570 MSA (3,200 sq/mi roughly)
1,953,575 CSA (5,200 sq/mi roughly)

Charlotte
687,456 city (287 sq/mi roughly)
902,803 county (526 sq/mi roughly)
1,701,799 MSA (3,100 sq/mi roughly)
2,338,289 CSA (6,500 sq/mi roughly)

As you can see, Charlotte is smaller than Columbus at the city/county level. However, Columbus's population drops off VERY quickly outside of its county boundaries. Charlotte has relatively large suburbs and "ring cities" (ie, Gastonia, Concord, Rock Hill, Monroe, Lake Norman, Kannapolis) that help boost Charlotte's CSA (Combined Statistical Area) population to nearly 400,000 more people than Columbus's CSA. In short, Charlotte acts like a larger city than Columbus simply because Charlotte has more folks on a daily basis coming into Charlotte (or more folks socially/economically dependent upon Charlotte).

If Charlotte were an Ohio city, Charlotte would be Ohio's 2nd largest CSA/Metro region behind only Cleveland.

Cleveland
433,748 in city and 2,896,968 in metro
Cleveland | Emporis.com

Charlotte
687,456 in city and 2,338,289 in metro
Charlotte | Emporis.com

Cincinnati
333,336 in city and 2,198,337 in metro
Cincinnati | Emporis.com

Columbus
754,885 in city and 1,982,252 in metro
Columbus | Emporis.com

And when it comes to GDP (Gross Domestic Product) Charlotte is a Top 25 metro according to this particular measure of economic activity. No metro in Ohio made the latest Top 25 GDP list.

Here is the Top 25 GDP listing originally posted by urbanactivistTX

1) New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY $1,264,896
2) Los Angeles-Long Beach Santa Ana, CA $717,884
3) Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI $520,672
4) Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX $403,202
5) Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV$395,747
6) Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX $379,863
7) Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD $331,897
8) San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA $310,825
9) Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH $299,590
10) Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA $269,799
11) Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL $261,263
12) Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA $218,771
13) Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI $200,856
14) Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI $193,947
15) Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ $187,431
16) San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA $169,325
17) Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO $150,810
18) San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA $146,687
19) Baltimore-Towson, MD $133,012
20) St. Louis, MO-IL $128,467
21) Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC $118,350
22) Pittsburgh, PA $114,707
23) Riverside-San Bernadino-Ontario, CA $113,080
24) Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA $112,420
25) Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL $110,510

http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional..._metro0909.pdf[

In all honesty, the great state of Ohio would KILL for a Metro area like Charlotte. I like Ohio (really I do), but Charlotte is not inferior to any Ohio city/metro. As an Ohio city, Charlotte would have the state's largest GDP, third best theme park, largest skyline, busiest airport, second best mass transit system, second largest city population, second largest CSA population, etc etc etc. Charlotte would be one of Ohio's shining stars (if not THE shining star).

Again, I like the comparison of Charlotte to cities in the Midwest because I have always seen those cities as Charlotte's "closest cousins". When Charlotte is compared to a southern city, Charlotte is often compared to a city that is too large (Atlanta) or a city that is too small (Nashville, Raleigh, Birmingham, Richmond). Charlotte's true peers are in the Midwest and I can show you guys TONS of stats to prove this. The one thing that I find most encouraging is the fact that Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in its peer group.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-19-2009 at 01:09 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 12:55 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,279,199 times
Quote:
It's simple ...

Charlotte IS North Carolina
Cincinnatti IS Ohio
NYC IS New York State
Phiadelphia IS PA

The overspill from these areas into neighboring states should not be considered a portion of that particular city or metro area ... but they oftentimes are.
Charlotte is a part of Mecklenburg Co ... and I always disliked the association with neighboring SC ... it distorts the identity of the region in some ways.

I'm just particular about such things ... when I think of Charlotte, I don't think of Rock Hill, SC ... even tho it's included as part of Charlottes overall metro area.

When I think of Detroit, I don't consider Windsor, Ontario as a portion of metro Detroit ... although it's considered in that manner.
Firstly, metropolitan areas are determined by the rates of commuting that takes place from surrounding counties. Surrounding counties that meet that threshold (25% of the workforce) into the core county/counties are included in the metropolitan area, and that makes all of the sense in the world. I have no clue what you mean when you say that Charlotte's association with neighboring SC "distorts the identity of the region in some ways." As someone stated before, this association extends back to colonial times. Charlotte has always been connected to SC in some form or another. As a matter of fact, early in its history, Charlotte was more connected to SC via railroad than to the rest of NC. Several of Charlotte's notable business and civic leaders, past and present, were/are native South Carolinians (Hugh McColl, Harvey Gantt, Edward Dilworth Latta, W.H. Belk, D.A. Tompkins, etc.). Furthermore, you're giving state boundaries too much credit here. They are more political than anything else. All of Charlotte's metro counties are Carolina Piedmont counties with similar histories (textiles, stock car racing, lots of Presbyterian churches), similar inhabitants (Scotch-Irish), similar development patterns, etc. The same is true of the DC region (which encompasses a federal district and two states [technically three]), NYC, Philadelphia, etc.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:11 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,123,903 times
Great post, UrbanCharlotte!!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:57 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,657,037 times
Columbus growth-the big land grab
Columbus made a decision in the 1950s that it would leverage it's water to neighboring communities and inorder to annex (and increase it's tax base). In 1950 Columbus was only 50 sq. miles large, it has grown to about 210 sq. miles. Cleveland used to be much larger city than Columbus. Actually it's city core is declining and without this annexing plan the city today could have been only 200,000 people. Columbus is/was surrounded by farmland and small communities (Hence why city is called Cowtown) which made it very easy to annex very large surrounding area around the city. They even annexed small communities outside it's county (Franklin) in neighboring counties. In the case of Cleveland and Cincinnati, these cities already were landlocked with strong neighboring suburbs. Columbus is no longer capable of doing this and only have only annexed 14 acres this year, in comparison they annexed 2100 acres in 2002. There is a sence that there could be some regional tension in future and could have a strain on it's tax base. I found this blog interesting The Urbanophile: Imperial Columbus and the Principles of Regional Finance (http://theurbanophile.blogspot.com/2009/09/imperial-columbus-and-principles-of.html - broken link)

Old 11-21-2009, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,409 times
I was born in Columbus Ohio, lived there for many years...still have family there. I wouldn't want to live there again. The roads are better, the zoo is great, ok.. sure. But the midwest way of life is not for me. I prefer the southern hospitality and the friendly way of doing things in the south.
People in Ohio are just different. They are not as friendly as the people I have met in the South. If I had to move back, I would look in the Dublin area... but if you get a vote, stay here!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:13 PM

53 posts, read 134,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Linmarke View Post
COLUMBUS,OHIO] Wow this is a bad bad bad place last time i went there i had my house broken in to and my car stolein. I'm always seeing it look's like drug dealers and from 10 to 23 years old in big groups commiting crimes. I think the bad is part of the Columbus city is the Southend. You no what i think of Columbus,Ohio is tooooooooooo badddddddd for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I had gotten robbed in Columbus too, a single mom with two kids. I was working a temp service job then, became depressed from the robbery incident that lasted two months, then lost the temp job because job didn't have benefits (damn temp services) I haven't found nothing but temp service jobs since living here. I would choose Charlotte any day. Please go the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or