U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:53 PM

2,367 posts, read 3,412,115 times

Advertisements

OK, here is the scoop, since I attended The Ohio State University, and lived in Columbus for a few years before moving down here....Columbus is the Ohio city that is most like Charlotte, but there are still many differences...to start w/, Columbus is all about the Buckeyes as it only has 1 Pro Sports franchise (the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets)...the city obsesses about our beloved Bucks, and all the TV stations and the paper, The Columbus "Disgrace" (I mean Dispatch, lol), and the local radio stations will all talk about the Buckeyes 90% of the time. They obsess about OSU football 100x more than Charlotte media obsesses about the Panthers. THE Buckeyes bball team gets more coverage than the Bobcats do here as well. Downtown Columbus, except for 1 area, doesn't compare to Uptown Charlotte...Charlotte has a very low vacancy rate (like 5%) compared to Columbus which is up around 15-20%...overall DT Columbus is dead after 5 as there isn't much in the way of highrise condos or even low and midrise condos unlike Charlotte, and there isn't much in the way of DT bars and restaraunts, except for in the very well planned Arena District around the Blue Jackets, Nationwide Arena...I wouldn't compare the Short North in Columbus to Southend here, but to NODA, b/c The Short North is a Gallery district w/ some pubs and other small shops and galleries. In fact, the first Sat of the month is the Gallery Hop in the Short North, and I think they have that in NODA too. That Short North is full of Gay and Lesbian bars too, as Columbus is considered one of the best cities for Gays and Lesbians in the country...tolerance is very high there for the Gay population, as there is very little discrimination toward them there....Columbus is a very sprawly city surrounded by very high sprawl suburbs like Gahanna (I lived there after I graduated) and New Albany out east, Westerville, Worthington, Dublin, Powell, Lewis Center and Delaware up north, and Hilliard to the west. There are some great older closer in suburbs as well like Bexley (governor's mansion is there), Grandview Hts, Marble Cliff, and Upper Arlington (next to the OSU campus). Most of these suburbs have fantastic shool systems, especially New Albany and Upper Arlington which are considered some of the best public shool systems in the country. The economy is much more highly diverse in Columbus, and that is why it is still growing despite the pop decline throughout most of the Midwest...there jobs in higher education (Ohio State University, Capital University, Franklin University, Ohio Dominican College, Otterbein College, Ohio Weslyan University, Columbus College of Art and Design, Denison University are all in the city or in the nearby suburbs). Of course, there are plenty of state gov't and county and city gov't jobs there...insurance is a big industry as Nationwide Insurance, Grange Insurance, and Motorits Insurance are all HQ'd there. The economy is more diverse than that though w/ companies like Huntington National Bank, Cardinal Health Systems, Wendy's International (yes, the fast food company), White Castle, Buffalo Wild Wings (BW3), The Limited (Les Wexner the Founder and CEO is well respected in the community, New Albany is his town basically, w/ the white picket fence around the town and a very strict zoning code), Abercrombie & Fitch and Worthington Industries. Shopping I think in Columbus is actually better than Charlotte, Easton Town Center on the Northeast side is Lifestyle center that is 5x bigger than the one in North Charlotte (can't think of it's name), and between Tuttle Crossing, and Polaris, their 2 major malls are every bit as good as Southpark and Northlake. As for weather, Charlotte is hands down much better, as Columbus is gray from late Oct to late April...it doesn't snow nearly as much as in Cleveland there, but they get about 30" of snow a year, and the temps will get below 0 several times a winter...spring is usually still cool and gray, and it can snow even in late April. In fact, snow flurries have fallen during the Memorial Golf tournament in late May though that was very rare. Summer is usually about 5 degrees cooler than here, but the humidity isn't nearly as high as here. Columbus does have a great zoo, and a decent water park called Wyandot Lake. I think Charlotte has better parks and has the 2 lakes nearby that are much better than the little lakes near Columbus. Columbus has better golf courses imo though, you can really only golf comfortably about 5 months out of the year. Charlotte tops Columbus in terms of mass transit, as Columbus only has busses, and isn't even trying to build Light Rail. Crime rates are about equal in the 2 cities. Columbus is overall a more liberal city than Charlotte is, but he suburbs are just as conservative there as here...overall, it's a pretty good city, and a great place to raise a family, it has a highly educated population, but I just can't stand the weather anymore...I still have good friends there though.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I believe that most people do. Cincinnati is more vibrant. People call Columbus a big country town, not that that is a bad thing.
Cincy, while not as bad as Cleveland is still more run down and dirty than Columbus is...Columbus is the only major city still growing in Ohio, and is a better city than either Cincinatti, or the place i grew up in, Cleveland. The people in those cities try and look down on Columbus b/c they envy what Columbus has since they are dead or dieing industrial cities.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,659,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Cincy, while not as bad as Cleveland is still more run down and dirty than Columbus is...Columbus is the only major city still growing in Ohio, and is a better city than either Cincinatti, or the place i grew up in, Cleveland. The people in those cities try and look down on Columbus b/c they envy what Columbus has since they are dead or dieing industrial cities.
I'm going off a tangent of OP but I lived in Columbus and Cleveland (actually also spent two night in Cinci this week) and I agree that some may prefer Columbus but I would live in Cleveland given a choice. I do agree with most of what you said in your previous post (CLT vs. COL) but I like the cultural diversity, history that CLE has over COL and Lake Erie (Alum Creek doesn't cut it). I grew up an hour north of COL and am a big Indians, Browns (still own season tix) and Cavs fan. I felt that Retail was taking over Columbus, way too much. Columbus obviously has benefited being the state capital and agressive annexing has significantly increased its land boundary and population. The milder weather in Col (vs. CLE) is a plus. There are many great suburbs in CLE, I most recently lived in Chagrin Falls which I consider one of the neatest, best towns in the midwest. The 100+ inches of snow per yr forced me to leave and I'm happy to now call Charlotte home.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I'm going off a tangent of OP but I lived in Columbus and Cleveland (actually also spent two night in Cinci this week) and I agree that some may prefer Columbus but I would live in Cleveland given a choice. I do agree with most of what you said in your previous post (CLT vs. COL) but I like the cultural diversity, history that CLE has over COL and Lake Erie (Alum Creek doesn't cut it). I grew up an hour north of COL and am a big Indians, Browns (still own season tix) and Cavs fan. I felt that Retail was taking over Columbus, way too much. Columbus obviously has benefited being the state capital and agressive annexing has significantly increased its land boundary and population. The milder weather in Col (vs. CLE) is a plus. There are many great suburbs in CLE, I most recently lived in Chagrin Falls which I consider one of the neatest, best towns in the midwest. The 100+ inches of snow per yr forced me to leave and I'm happy to now call Charlotte home.
I grew up in Pepper Pike, 100"+ of snow a year makes anywhere a crappy place to live imo...that is why I liked C-bus better, and why I love the Charlotte area.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:41 PM

338 posts, read 789,986 times
I don't mean to sound confrontational, but who could possibly choose Columbus, Ohio over Charlotte? Charlotte has a much better climate, it's close to the ocean and the mountains, and, while it's not NY or Boston, it's a much nicer city than Columbus. Just look at the two cities' skylines.

In addition, I lived in the Midwest for seven years and met many people from Columbus. They were often rude and extremely unsophisticated. As Charlott draws residents from all over, they are, on the whole, far more cosmopolitan.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:16 PM

897 posts, read 2,568,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
In addition, I lived in the Midwest for seven years and met many people from Columbus. They were often rude and extremely unsophisticated. As Charlott draws residents from all over, they are, on the whole, far more cosmopolitan.
Funny - I am a NC native (lived in CLT for years) and I find OH to be the exact opposite of what you described . OH sort of reminds me of what NC used to be before it was changed by consistent migration. I moved to central OH (Columbus) in 2007 and I have loved living there.

Charlotte & Columbus are quite compararable, but do have obvious differences. While Columbus may not have experienced the huge growth spurt that Charlotte has seen, the city is not the "cow town" that it is often described.

You will find that the Columbus forum is not as active as say the Cincinnati or Cleveland forums. I find it ammusing that some folks will venture over to give some discredit to our lovely city. I think alot of it has to do with a bit of envy on how well Columbus has done in attracting folks to move there (I know many native Southerners that live in central OH and love it). I have enjoyed being a tourist in the other OH cities and find them great weekend getaways with the family.

OP, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised with what Columbus has the offer.
CLT & CMH are both great places to live, work & play
Either one is a fine choice!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to sound confrontational, but who could possibly choose Columbus, Ohio over Charlotte? Charlotte has a much better climate, it's close to the ocean and the mountains, and, while it's not NY or Boston, it's a much nicer city than Columbus. Just look at the two cities' skylines.

I will agree that Charlotte has a more cosmopalitan feel to it, and definitely has a better skyline and downtown area, but Columbus is definitely not unsophisticated...in fact, I think more college grads live in Columbus than in Charlotte, and unlike some areas around here, Columbus does not have the country redneck thing going on like areas around Gastonia and some other areas on the outskirts here...also, Columbusites aren't rude, you want rude, go to NYC or Boston or NJ...in fact, I see more rudeness here in CLT than in Columbus, b/c of all the northeasterners here...Midwesterners aren't too much different than Southerners when it comes to politeness and what not.
BTW, again, Columbus is considered one of the best cities for gays and lesbians, and is also considered one of the best cities for African Americans to live and work in...I think there is just as much diversity in Columbus as in Charlotte...It also has a much better freeway system than Charlotte has...it has 2 north/south freeways both have 4 or 5 lines each way, not 3 like I-77 thru Clt, and it has 2 east/west freeways, again both are 4 or 5 lanes each way, plus the completed outerbelt is 5 lanes each way most of the way around except for the less populated southern part of the metro.
I do prefer living in the Charlotte area b/c of the weather, but it's hard to knock Columbus as besides weather, and the university, it's pretty similar to Charlotte, more so than any other city in Ohio or really the entire midwest w/ maybe the exception of Minneapolis.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 PM

338 posts, read 789,986 times
I'm not from Charlotte or Ohio. The following are simply my third-party opinions.

To each his own, but I found people from Columbus and Ohio, in general, to be quite rude. (People from NY, Philly and Boston are not rude. They are funny and outgoing. I guess it depends on your perspective.)

Also, the redneck element is alive and well in Columbus (and xenophobic too).

With limited exceptions, people from Columbus were really sad. They always stressed that "Port Columbus" is "international" (i.e., it gets a flight per day from Canada) despite the fact that they wrongly felt superior to people who weren't "Aaahhh-meeeeeehhhr-ican"! Also, they took bizarre pride in the corporations that were based in their cities (though this is common outside of the Northeast). I was amused by how proud people from "Cinci" were of Proctor and Gamble or people from Columbus were of The Limited. If either of these companies filed for bankruptcy, I think the respective Buckeyes would need medication and counseling.

I knew a group of "Buckeyes" who harassed two guys (one from Santiago, Chile and one from Kuala Lumper) about being from the "third world" despite the fact that Santiago and KL are VASTLY superior to Columbus.

People from Columbus (and for that matter most of Ohio -- excluding limited pockets of Cleveland) are quite reactionary as well. John Boehner is the poster boy for Ohio.

Anyway, Charlotte is nothing like Columbus, and it's much better. I can see comparing Charlotte to a little version of Atlanta, but not to Columbus.

Columbus
http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/imag...io_Skyline.jpg

Charlotte
http://media.photobucket.com/image/c...Charlotte3.jpg

Last edited by Londonlawyer; 03-27-2009 at 10:16 PM..

Old 03-27-2009, 10:14 PM

655 posts, read 2,095,846 times
Quote:
To each his own, but I found people from Columbus and Ohio, in general, to be quite rude.
Ah, cut it out Lonny, flattery will get you nowhere.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:51 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,146,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
If Ohio roads are so great compared to those locally and the highways are so well planned, can you explain how it is not possible to drive a direct route through Ohio, on a descent highway, from Columbus to Huntington, W.V. on the way to Charlotte? If one wants to stay on a highway, they must go via Zanesville which is not direct. Columbus is never catagorized as being on par with Cincy or Cleveland. They consider Columbus as a country town.
I lived in ohio 52 years, no Columbus is not nor never has been considered a country town by other Ohioans. Not sure where you got that info from.

Most Ohioans prefer Columbus over Cinci ...in a heart beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or