U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,147,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
I don't mean to sound confrontational, but who could possibly choose Columbus, Ohio over Charlotte? Charlotte has a much better climate, it's close to the ocean and the mountains, and, while it's not NY or Boston, it's a much nicer city than Columbus. Just look at the two cities' skylines.

In addition, I lived in the Midwest for seven years and met many people from Columbus. They were often rude and extremely unsophisticated. As Charlott draws residents from all over, they are, on the whole, far more cosmopolitan.
I would prefer Columbus over Charlotte. And I don't wish to be confrontational either....but myself I don't consider Charlotte "sophisticated" That to me is more for NYC, Chicago, those types of cities. I've ran into more rude since living here than I ever did in Ohio....by a long shot.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:06 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,712,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I lived in ohio 52 years, no Columbus is not nor never has been considered a country town by other Ohioans. Not sure where you got that info from.

Most Ohioans prefer Columbus over Cinci ...in a heart beat.

I lived in Reynoldsburg and I heard Columbus referred to as a large country town by many, many people both locals and newcomers. They did not mean it in an insulting way. As far as "Most Ohioans prefer Columbus over Cinci....in a hearbeat", isn't it pretty obvious that that is your personal opinion (Cincinatti metro= 2.1 million, Columbus= 1.75 million)?Seems to me that more people prefer Cinci. I pesonally enjoyed living in the Columbus area. I worked at the Defense Logistics Center on Broad Street, Whitehall. It was the least productive center in the U.S. But, that's another story. The Columbus zoo is second to none. My old friends from Dublin, Ohio are coming to Cornelis next week to look at moving here. They were here during the summer and loved it.

Last edited by vindaloo; 03-28-2009 at 09:32 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 11:01 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,147,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I lived in Reynoldsburg and I heard Columbus referred to as a large country town by many, many people both locals and newcomers. They did not mean it in an insulting way. As far as "Most Ohioans prefer Columbus over Cinci....in a hearbeat", isn't it pretty obvious that that is your personal opinion (Cincinatti metro= 2.1 million, Columbus= 1.75 million)?Seems to me that more people prefer Cinci. I pesonally enjoyed living in the Columbus area. I worked at the Defense Logistics Center on Broad Street, Whitehall. It was the least productive center in the U.S. But, that's another story. The Columbus zoo is second to none. My old friends from Dublin, Ohio are coming to Cornelis next week to look at moving here. They were here during the summer and loved it.
Parts of Cinci are dirty and old, not so much in Columbus...unless things have changed immensely from the 50 some years I lived there, and from last year when I visited Ohio.

The size of the city doesn't have much to do with it, it was where the jobs were and Cinci had many more blue collar jobs than Columbus did. Course one would know that if they lived in the state for a long time (6o's 70's etc) Lots of those blue collar jobs are gone from Cinci, but it is one of the reasons they were bigger than Columbus, besides all the people from Kentucky that moved across the state line

Old 03-28-2009, 11:08 AM

338 posts, read 790,232 times
I've found Cleveland to be the best city in Ohio by far. It has the best cultural institutions, has more liberal people and has nice old buildings. (Cincinatti does too, but the people there are too much like John Bohener reactionaries.)

Old 03-28-2009, 12:09 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,712,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Parts of Cinci are dirty and old, not so much in Columbus...unless things have changed immensely from the 50 some years I lived there, and from last year when I visited Ohio.

The size of the city doesn't have much to do with it, it was where the jobs were and Cinci had many more blue collar jobs than Columbus did. Course one would know that if they lived in the state for a long time (6o's 70's etc) Lots of those blue collar jobs are gone from Cinci, but it is one of the reasons they were bigger than Columbus, besides all the people from Kentucky that moved across the state line
I agree. What you say is true. Columbus is cleaner. That is a good thing. As I said, I like Columbus fine. I personally prefer Columbus to other Ohio cities by far. The three major Ohio cities are very different. Those that like real "city" stufff prefer Cleveland. I never liked Cleveland because of the crime and slums.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 PM

380 posts, read 1,614,573 times
Sorry, but one of my big pet peaves is when people cannot spell Cincinnati right. Cincinnati is my home town and it is a great city, so much better than Cleveland or Columbus. We also lived near Toledo, Ohio fpr 17 years. We moved to Charlotte for the weather and being near the beach and mountains. And you cannot compare Ohio weather to Charlotte. The gray winters would last forever. We love Charlotte. But I have to agree with what a couple people said here that I have always found Ohio people to be so friendly. I was so surprised that I didn't find that here. Ohio seems to have much more southern hospitality.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:13 AM

655 posts, read 2,096,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishlee View Post
Sorry, but one of my big pet peaves is when people cannot spell Cincinnati right. Cincinnati is my home town and it is a great city, so much better than Cleveland or Columbus. We also lived near Toledo, Ohio fpr 17 years. We moved to Charlotte for the weather and being near the beach and mountains. And you cannot compare Ohio weather to Charlotte. The gray winters would last forever. We love Charlotte. But I have to agree with what a couple people said here that I have always found Ohio people to be so friendly. I was so surprised that I didn't find that here. Ohio seems to have much more southern hospitality.
I've had plenty experience with Ohio (28 years), and yeah, there's no deficiency of likable, friendly people in the Buckeye State. Have I seen rude people? Sure, but I've also seen it elsewhere. Rudeness has no permanent residence.

However, I've found plenty of friendly people here. There might be a few with some strong opinions (i.e. Yankees, politics, religion, etc.), but a smile and some respect goes a long way. Seriously. Also, Huntersville has plenty of relos, too. Just because they're there, doesn't mean they're born and bred.

I don't know, maybe I'm just too agreeable for my own good. ::Shrug::

Old 03-29-2009, 12:51 PM

2,371 posts, read 3,414,270 times
Quote:
I've found Cleveland to be the best city in Ohio by far. It has the best cultural institutions, has more liberal people and has nice old buildings. (Cincinatti does too, but the people there are too much like John Bohener reactionaries.)
You're clearly delusional...Cleveland is the dirtiest most run down of the big 3 cities in Ohio, and has lost more than half it's population over the last 50 years...in 1950, it had a million people, not it has 460,000. Some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country are on Cleveland's east side. The downtown completely dies out at 5:00 and unless there is a Browns, Cavs or Tribe game on the weekend, nothing is going on downtown during the weekends. Also, Cleveland has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, and is one of the poorest most poverty stricken cities in the nation. The people that live there are always depressed b/c of all those problems plus upwards of 7 months a year of cold gray skies and cold winds off the lake. Cleveland's downtown office vacancy rate is higher than the sky high rates in Columbus' downtown as well...I will give it to you that Cleveland has better museums (who cares? not me), and has a better orchestra, but, even though they have the Rock & Roll HOF, they don't even hold the inductions there b/c no one wants to go there. Columbus is much cleaner than Cleveland, and that is one big reason it compares well to Charlotte as we have a clean city here. Cleveland's liberal policies haven't helped the city's economy one bit...so, they may be more liberal, but so what, when they have high taxes, & very high per pupil expenditures for schooling, yet have the worst schools in the country, and is the most poverty stricken city in the country. I guess that it what liberals want b/c they have done nothing to change either thing there.
I still say the people in Ohio, and Columbus especially, are much nicer than anyone I've ever met from NYC, NJ, Philly, or Boston...New Yorkers look down at anyone not from there from my experience...they think b/c they live in the most overcrowded city in America, they are special.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:12 PM

755 posts, read 2,242,385 times
Quote:
I don't mean to sound confrontational, but who could possibly choose Columbus, Ohio over Charlotte?
Someone who couldn't afford private school tuition anymore.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:55 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,495,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
You're clearly delusional...Cleveland is the dirtiest most run down of the big 3 cities in Ohio, and has lost more than half it's population over the last 50 years...in 1950, it had a million people, not it has 460,000. Some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country are on Cleveland's east side. The downtown completely dies out at 5:00 and unless there is a Browns, Cavs or Tribe game on the weekend, nothing is going on downtown during the weekends. Also, Cleveland has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, and is one of the poorest most poverty stricken cities in the nation. The people that live there are always depressed b/c of all those problems plus upwards of 7 months a year of cold gray skies and cold winds off the lake. Cleveland's downtown office vacancy rate is higher than the sky high rates in Columbus' downtown as well...I will give it to you that Cleveland has better museums (who cares? not me), and has a better orchestra, but, even though they have the Rock & Roll HOF, they don't even hold the inductions there b/c no one wants to go there. Columbus is much cleaner than Cleveland, and that is one big reason it compares well to Charlotte as we have a clean city here. Cleveland's liberal policies haven't helped the city's economy one bit...so, they may be more liberal, but so what, when they have high taxes, & very high per pupil expenditures for schooling, yet have the worst schools in the country, and is the most poverty stricken city in the country. I guess that it what liberals want b/c they have done nothing to change either thing there.
I still say the people in Ohio, and Columbus especially, are much nicer than anyone I've ever met from NYC, NJ, Philly, or Boston...New Yorkers look down at anyone not from there from my experience...they think b/c they live in the most overcrowded city in America, they are special.
Many of your statements about Cleveland are false. Sounds like you are just trying to bash.

1. Downtown Cleveland is active during the weekends. The warehouse district and gateway are full of bars and restaurants, and they are not dependant on sporting events. Downtown Cleveland is the most active downtown of Ohio's 3 largest cities and has the most residents.

2. Cleveland's unemployment rate is lower than many other cities. In fact it is lower than in Charlotte and about the same as Columbus.

Most Northeast Ohio county unemployment rates are now at highest level in 15 years Cleveland Ohio Statistics & Demographics | Data Central - cleveland.com

The Columbus Dispatch : Franklin County unemployment rate jumps to 7.7 percent

Charlotte's unemployment rate hit 10.5% in January | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/business/story/608048.html - broken link)

3. Cleveland's inner city schools are bad, but most of the suburban schools are fine.

4. The office vacancy rate in Cleveland is not as bad as you make it sound.

http://www.clevelandplusbusiness.com/docs/Sept2008QERcleplusweb.pdf (broken link)

5. The Cleveland Metro area is safer than metro Columbus or metro Charlotte.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/MetroCrime2008_Rank.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or