U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:33 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Charlotte is also dedicated to smart growth, maybe even more so than Columbus. We've got our first leg of light rail with plans for future expansion, and we've also got plans for our streetcar network which are nearing fruition. The light rail line has resulted in LOTS of urban infill along the line which is a hallmark of smart growth. The streetcar network will do the same. I'm not sure what Columbus has in this regards, but to insinuate that Charlotte is not concerned with smart growth is very disingenuous. As a matter of fact, check this out to see how positively some Ohioans have reacted to the smart growth taking place here in Charlotte.
Thanks for making the photos available. They were interesting.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 15,498 times
Default delaware county....

i know nothing about living in north carolina and we are looking into relocating ourselves due to my wife's RA...she needs a bit more milder winter compared to the potential frigid temps here in central ohio....youre best bet in the columbus area , if you are in decent financial straights, is to relocate to delaware county(delaware, sunbury, olentangy, and points inbetween)....

Old 11-15-2009, 12:50 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,785,931 times
Default Columbus VS Charlotte on "SMART GROWTH"

I never suggested that Charlotte isn't trying to initiate some standards of "SMART GROWTH" for their burgeoning area ... however the proof of my statement concerning the growth patterns between Columbus and Charlotte is readily evident.
Columbus is booming and is continuing to experience population gains, just as Charlotte has.
Charlotte though does not have an adequate infrastructure to maintain such explosive growth ... whereas Columbus certainly does.
Our extensive freeway system is impressive and we have a "BIG CITY RUSH HOUR" as more evidence of the growth we're experiencing here ... but our freeways are NOT over burdened as they often are in Charlotte.
Charlotte will eventually catch up as new freeways are constructed to accomodate the incredible sprawl that is occuring there.
My family originated in North Carolina and my remaining relatives in the Charlotte area are "beyond dismayed" with the multitude of problems the "out of control" growth there has created.
A "sometimes" two hour commute from Concord ( north side ) to the Mint Hill area is beyond maddening during the rush hour.
I believe the city fathers in Charlotte are busying themselves with trying to position Charlotte as an equal to Atlanta ...
Atlanta is a beautiful and vibrant metropolis ... with even worse traffic conditions.
It's just the cost that one must incur where "manic growth is concentrated and where "growth" ( not smart enough growth ) seems to be the first order of the day at city hall!
Maybe some Charlotte officials can take a visit to Columbus ... to see how it all comes together where "SMART GROWTH" is already happening.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:12 PM

184 posts, read 508,468 times
I would shoot myself in the head before moving back to Ohio....4 years in Cincy was enough to see what has happened to the rust belt...and the gray winter...starts in september and lasts until april...nothing but gray skies, gray trees, gray ground, for miles and miles and miles....

Obviously my $.02, but being from out west originally, living in both Cincy as well as Charlotte... Charlotte has ANY city in Ohio beat hands down.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:17 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,129,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspoon View Post
I would shoot myself in the head before moving back to Ohio....4 years in Cincy was enough to see what has happened to the rust belt...and the gray winter...starts in september and lasts until april...nothing but gray skies, gray trees, gray ground, for miles and miles and miles....

Obviously my $.02, but being from out west originally, living in both Cincy as well as Charlotte... Charlotte has ANY city in Ohio beat hands down.
+1 x 1000

and include depressing Cleveland in that.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:35 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,289,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I never suggested that Charlotte isn't trying to initiate some standards of "SMART GROWTH" for their burgeoning area
Actually, you did. You stated, "COLUMBUS tops CHARLOTTE anyday! Columbus is still an actively and fast growing metropolis ... the difference is? Columbus is experiencing 'SMART GROWTH'..." So if, according to you, the difference between Charlotte and Columbus is that Columbus is experiencing smart growth, then the very clear implication is that Charlotte is not.

Quote:
however the proof of my statement concerning the growth patterns between Columbus and Charlotte is readily evident.
Columbus is booming and is continuing to experience population gains, just as Charlotte has.
I think you're being quite misleading here. You're making it sound as if Columbus has been growing just as much as Charlotte has, which is certainly not true. From 2000-2008, metro Columbus grew by 9.9%, whereas in that same period of time, Charlotte's metro population increased by 27.9%. Any city that grows that much in a relatively short period of time will have some sort of issues with infrastructure catching up, whether it's Charlotte, Atlanta, Chicago, or DC.

Quote:
Charlotte though does not have an adequate infrastructure to maintain such explosive growth ... whereas Columbus certainly does.
That isn't certain, since Columbus hasn't been experiencing explosive growth as of late. Their growth rate is impressive for an Ohio city and might be considered "explosive" up there, but it's considered average down here.

Quote:
Our extensive freeway system is impressive and we have a "BIG CITY RUSH HOUR" as more evidence of the growth we're experiencing here ... but our freeways are NOT over burdened as they often are in Charlotte.
That's because you guys aren't adding nearly as many people as we are.

Quote:
Charlotte will eventually catch up as new freeways are constructed to accomodate the incredible sprawl that is occuring there.
You do realize that new freeways actually induce sprawl, right?

Quote:
I believe the city fathers in Charlotte are busying themselves with trying to position Charlotte as an equal to Atlanta ...
No, we're just attempting to be the best Charlotte we can be. We've simply positioned ourselves as a business-friendly metro for the past few decades and have reaped the rewards (and heartaches) that go with it.

Quote:
Maybe some Charlotte officials can take a visit to Columbus ... to see how it all comes together where "SMART GROWTH" is already happening.
It seems that you equate "smart growth" with a bunch of new freeways. That's not smart growth. Where's Columbus's mass transit system? Any plans for light rail or commuter rail? As I've stated, we've got our first leg of light rail, preparing for a future extension, and we've got plans for a pretty extensive streetcar network--and keep in mind that metro Columbus is actually a little larger than metro Charlotte, so it seems that if anyone needs to be taking notes from anyone else, Columbus needs to be taking notes from us. If Charlotte needs to look at any city in terms of smart growth, it would be Portland, not Columbus.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:54 AM

Default Columbus: A Shining Example Of What A City Should Be!

I try to remain objective in my postings ... whereas you seem to tapdance around the truth and the grim realities that are making the once appealing Charlotte area ... very unappealing to many longtime and newer residents.
Naturally, most composers on this site will go to the ends of the earth ... to defend their respective cities or hometowns ... I expect this.
However, overlooking such "blatant" facts regarding "a city that is struggling to maintain growth and sprawl" ( as in Charlottes example ) is ridiculous!
I never once said that Columbus was growing at a faster rate than Charlotte ... there are huge differences in our growth patterns. I'm well aware that Charlotte is outpacing Columbus with regards to overall growth ... but just take a look at the cost factors involved!
Charlotte is already experiencing concerns about the available water supply for such massive population gains ... what happens when the "tap runs dry"? It's been happening all over the southeast ... cities like Atlanta are facing the same dire consequences.
"How attractive will Charlotte remain with such explosive and poorly maintained growth" ... I feel that is a pertinent and legitimate question for many.
Both cities have impressive qualities, but only Columbus seems to have a better grip on maintaining a "smart growth" initiative.
And Columbus' ability to better maintain growth has nothing to do with the slightly lower pace of growth here ... "Charlotte needs to do a better job of getting a grip on the growth that will ultimately destroy the qualities that once made it so appealing to so many"
I laugh when people talk about Ohios gray and cloudy conditions as an obstacle to living here ... it's not like it is life threatening or that overwhelming.
For those who can't handle the sometimes cloudy weather conditions in Columbus or other parts of Ohio, I would suggest that you are experiencing some other "underlying" mental condition and should promptly make an appt. with a licensed therapist or "shrink"!
I love Ohios seasons ... all of them. Ohio is a remarkable state that offers many amenities ... and for those who refuse to see or acknowledge them, I say "GOOD RIDDANCE"!
I would take Cleveland or Columbus on their worst days or terms ... any day over a city like Charlotte.
I still find that Charlotte does have attributes ... but until something is accomplished to control the out of bounds growth and the accompanying problems, I'll stick with "The Discovery City" of Columbus!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:29 PM

Default CHECK IT OUT: "The Word On Columbus" on Youtube

Check out what's being said regarding the "Columbus" experience!

Go to www.youtube.com and type in "The word on Columbus" as your search query.
This informative video says alot about the positive attributes of life in Americas "Discovery City" of
Columbus.

To user "SunnyKayak" who deleted my previous posting, of course "this thread" pertains to Columbus ... and also to Charlotte, which is what this specific thread is pertaining to!
The video on youtube draws very fair comparisons between Columbus, Charlotte and other US cities.
If it seems "boastful" as you have suggested ... maybe there's a tad bit of jealousy on your part.
Allowing others to view this particular video is what keeps "these threads interesting" and moving along.
How absurd of you to have deleted the prior link!

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 11-16-2009 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: personal

Old 11-16-2009, 01:33 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,129,494 times
apparently since I have left Ohio they have started schooling in the extensive use of unnecessary quotation marks. Or maybe I was just too depressed from the gray to remember my classes.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:43 PM

Lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or