U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 PM

16 posts, read 32,403 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Just got back from our exploratory trip to Charlotte. We are relocating to NC in about 4-5 months.

Spent a week in Charlotte. Loved some parts, some parts not so much.

Davidson/Lake Norman: Very interesting. As we will be opening a business (integrative holistic health center), I really liked the economy and booming nature of lake Norman and Davidson. I did not like the traffic, new build-up sprawl and the man-made lake. I really liked the economy, though. It was neat how many transplants there are from other parts of the country. Has any one on this forum experienced living in that area? Has anyone on this forum relocated from another area to the Lake Norman region that has any experience to share? It felt a bit sterile and very new. However, tons of potential.

Loved Dilworth! My mom lives there and what a great area. Thriving, beautiful, decent restaurants, close to downtown - really liked it. Does anyone here have any thoughts about opening an integrative holistic health center in that part of Charlotte? That sure fits the bill of what we are looking for in terms of neighborhood.

Liked downtown. I was pleasantly surprised by the downtown area. What about opening up something there? There was a small area of very cool homes and townhomes that reminded me of Boston. Can't remember what it was called.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:42 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,840,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalisticDoc View Post
Hi!

Just got back from our exploratory trip to Charlotte. We are relocating to NC in about 4-5 months.

Spent a week in Charlotte. Loved some parts, some parts not so much.

Davidson/Lake Norman: Very interesting. As we will be opening a business (integrative holistic health center), I really liked the economy and booming nature of lake Norman and Davidson. I did not like the traffic, new build-up sprawl and the man-made lake. I really liked the economy, though. It was neat how many transplants there are from other parts of the country. Has any one on this forum experienced living in that area? Has anyone on this forum relocated from another area to the Lake Norman region that has any experience to share? It felt a bit sterile and very new. However, tons of potential.

Loved Dilworth! My mom lives there and what a great area. Thriving, beautiful, decent restaurants, close to downtown - really liked it. Does anyone here have any thoughts about opening an integrative holistic health center in that part of Charlotte? That sure fits the bill of what we are looking for in terms of neighborhood.

Liked downtown. I was pleasantly surprised by the downtown area. What about opening up something there? There was a small area of very cool homes and townhomes that reminded me of Boston. Can't remember what it was called.

Thanks for the help.

I do believe Dilworth or its nearby neighbor, Southend, would be an excellent location for your business. The traffic up near the lake would bother me too.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,770,093 times
I agree with lovemountains those two areas would fit you best

Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 PM

6,276 posts, read 10,070,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalisticDoc View Post
There was a small area of very cool homes and townhomes that reminded me of Boston. Can't remember what it was called.
You have got to be talking about The Garden District in First Ward or Fourth Ward's Pine Street area. I am almost sure of it!!! I have made the same Boston comparison myself (never in public because I knew few folks would believe ANY part of Charlotte resembles Boston).

Are any of these neighborhoods what you were talking about? (click "watch in high quality" icon at bottom right of videos when they come up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH63A...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oDN...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohYW7...e=channel_page

At any rate, I think your business would do well in central Charlotte. Central Charlotte has become quite a booming urban district. It will only get better in time!!! Central Charlotte also has one of the lowest foreclosure rates in the city!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-04-2009 at 09:48 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 AM

73 posts, read 444,396 times
I thought there might already be a similar type clinic in Dilworth, so I did a quick search and found this: CHS sees no alternative to closing clinic in Dilworth - Charlotte Business Journal:. Food for thought. I would agree that the Metro Charlotte area (Southend, Dilworth, etc.) is the best place to start something like this. I've lived in Elizabeth for almost 9 years (in between Plaza Midwood and Myers Park) and love it!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,186,355 times
Seems to me like it might be a rough time in the local economy to open a store. I would imagine your clientelle would be higher end, well educated, etc (ie: banking and banking related jobs) especially in South Charlotte. You may want to hold off to see how drastic the layoffs might be.

My wife works for a high end spa and a natural health store and she says people have really cut back their spending on these non-essential services.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,735,235 times
Anywhere near Uptown Charlotte would probably be good...since most of the area hospitals are just outside of the Uptown Area.

There are several Urban areas in Uptown Charlotte. You were probably in 4th Ward...that is the most developed followed by 3rd Ward & 1st Ward. Living Uptown is great. Has about everything you need within walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or