U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 AM

57 posts, read 114,046 times

Advertisements

OK, as a foreigner, with no intention of sarcasm, why does everyone want tinted windows? And why so heavily tinted at that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,284,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejones2 View Post
OK, as a foreigner, with no intention of sarcasm, why does everyone want tinted windows? And why so heavily tinted at that?
In no particular order:

*Some cars look better with tint.

*Tint helps protect the interior from fading and cracking.

*Tint helps to keep down the temp in the summer.

*Some people prefer the added privacy tint provides, both for themselves and the interior of the vehicle.

*Tint can help keep the glare down, and for people who don't like bright light, this is advantageous.

*On a more silly note, sometimes being in a tinted car at night feels like flying. All you can see is out the front, plus the instrument cluster.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:17 PM

79 posts, read 163,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
In no particular order:

*Some cars look better with tint.

*Tint helps protect the interior from fading and cracking.

*Tint helps to keep down the temp in the summer.

*Some people prefer the added privacy tint provides, both for themselves and the interior of the vehicle.

*Tint can help keep the glare down, and for people who don't like bright light, this is advantageous.

*On a more silly note, sometimes being in a tinted car at night feels like flying. All you can see is out the front, plus the instrument cluster.

Hope that helps.
I would say that is pretty accurate.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,613,049 times
Legally tint your windows and you get all the same benefits plus it's legal and passes inspection, problem solved.

No one needs limo tint on their windows as if you are trying to be THAT private, I'd pull you over just to see what you are hiding if I were a LEO.

For the record, every car I've ever owned has had legally tinted windows but one. The one was around 20% I think and a local cop that LOVED to pull over teens/early 20's with tinted windows so he could use his fancy new (at the time new) machine to test window tint got me and I had to strip it all off. After that I've been legal and it's been fine.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:25 AM

79 posts, read 163,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Legally tint your windows and you get all the same benefits plus it's legal and passes inspection, problem solved.

No one needs limo tint on their windows as if you are trying to be THAT private, I'd pull you over just to see what you are hiding if I were a LEO.

I agree to a degree. No one needs limo tint on the car and I can understand the safety concern for LEO's.

We lived in Florida and had my wife's car tinted legally (I said for NC, but who knows) and when we get here, it fails. Take it to another place, and it passes. That is frustrating.

Also, per the state guidelines, SUV and Minivan windows that are behind the drive do not need to meet the 35% standard. Why can't this apply to passenger cars??? WHY??? If it is for safety purposes, then explain how a guy in the backseat of a SUV is not likely to shoot an officer when compared to the same guy in the back of a camry or what have you.

The NC requirements from the NCDOT page are pasted below: (I highlighted the multipurpose vehicle exception part)
http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/in...dowtinting.pdf

Windows may not be any darker than 35% visible light transmission. This standard is considered to be met if the window tint is no lower than 32% visible light transmission when measured by the station with a photometer.

Windshield tinting is allowed, however the combination of the factory tint and the after market tint cannot have a light transmittance of less than 32%. The tint on the windshield cannot extend more than five inches below the top of the windshield or below the AS1 line of the windshield, whichever is longer.

The window tinting restrictions apply without exception to the windshield of the vehicle. However, they do not apply to any other window of the following vehicle types:

• A window of an excursion passenger vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20‐4.01 (27) a.
  • A window of a for‐hire passenger vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20‐4.01 (27) b.
  • A window of a common carrier of passengers, as defined in G.S. 20‐4.01 (27) c.
  • A window of a motor home, as defined in G.S. 20‐4.01 (27) d2.
  • A window of an ambulance, as defined in G.S. 20‐4.01 (27) f.
  • The rear window of a property‐hauling vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20‐4.01 (31).
  • A window of a limousine.
  • A window of a law enforcement vehicle.
  • A window of a multipurpose vehicle that is behind the driver of the vehicle.
    • A multipurpose vehicle is a passenger vehicle that is designed to carry 10 or fewer passengers and either is constructed on a truck chassis or has special features designed for occasional off‐road operation. A minivan and a pickup truck are multipurpose vehicles.
  • A window of a vehicle for which DMV has issued a medical exception permit.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:41 AM

1,589 posts, read 3,867,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post

For the record, every car I've ever owned has had legally tinted windows but one. The one was around 20% I think and a local cop that LOVED to pull over teens/early 20's with tinted windows so he could use his fancy new (at the time new) machine to test window tint got me and I had to strip it all off. After that I've been legal and it's been fine.
I own a hatch back, and I haul thousands of dollars in musical equipment that needs to be left in the car behind shady bars at night. Keeping prying eyes off expensive and unique equipment is priority to me.

Not only do citizens deserve privacy in their lives, including cars, they shouldn't be penalized for the potential actions of a very small criminal segment of society.

Besides, exactly when was the last time that someone willing to murder a law enforcement officer cared about the vehicle code??????

Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 PM

157 posts, read 482,327 times
Move to South Carolina. The window tint rules are strict in Matthews. I got caught twice. Once in 2008 then 2010. I'm still riding dirty. LOL

Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 AM

2,143 posts, read 2,613,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laziboie View Post
I agree to a degree. No one needs limo tint on the car and I can understand the safety concern for LEO's.

We lived in Florida and had my wife's car tinted legally (I said for NC, but who knows) and when we get here, it fails. Take it to another place, and it passes. That is frustrating.
I agree, the rules are enforced very inconsistently in NC. An example, I own a hatchback and you can tint the back windows on it darker however the guy at the first place failed it, I took it to another place who laughed and passed it. Go figure. For the record, that was my first fail for tint on that car in 4 years of owning it and having window tint.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 PM

2,830 posts, read 4,138,600 times
I have a Toyota Forerunner (1997) with a 'glare strip' at the top of the front windshield. I can feel the 'glare strip' with my finger from inside the vehicle so I assume it could be removed (in other words - it does not appear to be tinted glass but more of a sticker).

Took the vehicle to have it inspected and they charged an extra $10 window tint fee because of this 'strip'.

I keep hearing about 'after market tint' etc. - as far as I know this glare strip was original to the car.

I have never been charged a tint fee before and feel like I am being ripped off. I have read the rules posted from the DMV but don't see an answer.

Help!

Updated to add: Just called the Toyota dealer. They said the 'glare strip' was original to the vehicle and I should NOT have been charged for window tinting. Does anyone know where I can find the DMV info on this?

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 06-01-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 PM

441 posts, read 1,284,467 times
Look to the outside edge of the windshield, approximately 6 inches down from the top. You should see a ___ mark with AS 1 underneath. Tinting cannot extend below that mark. Anything above it is not their concern. If this is the case, ask them if they would like you to contact the DMV for verification! You'll get your refund.

Here, I found this. http://www.carolinacarcraft.com/Tint...aw%20chart.pdf

Last edited by NCproud; 06-01-2012 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or