U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,448,210 times

Advertisements

Buckhead is not "way more" urban than SouthPark. Urbanity is more than having a few rail/bus stops and a bunch of highrises.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,602,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Buckhead is not "way more" urban than SouthPark. Urbanity is more than having a few rail/bus stops and a bunch of highrises.

It is its more walkable than south park you have to drive to everything in southpark, the hot part about buckhead is that it is serviced by 4 train stations. which helps with urban appeal and makes it more serviceable to people who dont drive and who dont wanna drive with the traffic.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:57 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
It is its more walkable than south park you have to drive to everything in southpark, the hot part about buckhead is that it is serviced by 4 train stations. which helps with urban appeal and makes it more serviceable to people who dont drive and who dont wanna drive with the traffic.
When Buckhead had the little club district, I would say it was walkable. But since that went away, I wouldn't consider Buckhead walkable at all. Have you ever walked from Lenox to Phipps? I have. Its like walking from South Park to Morrison. A bunch of parking lots and busy roads. And between what points would you ride a train in Buckhead? In other words, where would you be going that it would be convienant to catch the train, and still be in Buckhead, not leaving to go to Midtown or Downtown?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM

^What he said.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 PM

338 posts, read 756,547 times
As a newcomer to Charlotte from NY, Atlanta, in my view, is vastly superior.

It has a zoo, a natural history museum, a far better art museum, a better opera, symphony and ballet.

It also has much better stores and hotels.

In addition, it's generally a few degrees warmer, and on many days, it's 5 to 7 degrees warmer than Charlotte is in the winter.

For a New Yorker who was looking for a cheaper, easier life, I jumped the gun and came here, yet Atlanta also is cheap. In fact, its suburbs not only have nicer homes overall but the land is hillier and more wooded.

Charlotte is nice and is better than most mid-size cities (e.g., Pittsburg, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Orlando, etc.), but Atlanta is definitely better in my opinion.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,768 posts, read 6,476,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
As a newcomer to Charlotte from NY, Atlanta, in my view, is vastly superior.

It has a zoo, a natural history museum, a far better art museum, a better opera, symphony and ballet.

It also has much better stores and hotels.

In addition, it's generally a few degrees warmer, and on many days, it's 5 to 7 degrees warmer than Charlotte is in the winter.

For a New Yorker who was looking for a cheaper, easier life, I jumped the gun and came here, yet Atlanta also is cheap. In fact, its suburbs not only have nicer homes overall but the land is hillier and more wooded.

Charlotte is nice and is better than most mid-size cities (e.g., Pittsburg, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Orlando, etc.), but Atlanta is definitely better in my opinion.
How did you discover all this wonderful stuff about ATL and still jump the gun and end up in the wrong place?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:54 PM

While I was living in NY, I always thought Atl. was a joke. People would call it "Hotlanta" and act as if it's a real city (i.e., NY, Boston, DC, Phillly, SF, etc.). I would laugh and had no interest in visiting, although I did go two times for work trips in the late '90s.

After moving here, however, I took weekend trips to Atlanta and realized that while it's not a real city from a New Yorker's perspective, it's more so than Clt. is. As I noted, if you want to take your kids to the zoo, you don't have to drive 90 miles to do so.

Anyway, Charlotte is nice too, and it's a very cheap place to live which is nice.

Last edited by Londonlawyer; 01-13-2009 at 08:02 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 PM

Obviously Atlanta is going to offer more than Charlotte; I don't think anyone is disputing that, so the question of which city is "superior" was never a question. It was about how the two cities compare, taking that significant size difference into account.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 PM

Sorry. I misunderstood the topic.

In light of your clarification, I think that the two cities are similar. A comparison is how Philadelphia is like a little cousin to NY. Although NY has way more to offer (although Philly is very underrated and is one of the best US cities), the two cities have a lot in common albeit on different scales.

Similarly, Clt. and Atl. are new cities in the same region that have been transformed by people relocating in search of a better/easier life.

Atl. has far more in common with Clt. than it does with the Northeastern metros of similar size (i.e., Philly, Boston and DC).

Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 PM

6,068 posts, read 9,273,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
Sorry. I misunderstood the topic.

In light of your clarification, I think that the two cities are similar. A comparison is how Philadelphia is like a little cousin to NY. Although NY has way more to offer (although Philly is very underrated and is one of the best US cities), the two cities have a lot in common albeit on different scales.

Similarly, Clt. and Atl. are new cities in the same region that have been transformed by people relocating in search of a better/easier life.

Atl. has far more in common with Clt. than it does with the Northeastern metros of similar size (i.e., Philly, Boston and DC).
^^^^^^^By jove I think he's got it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or