U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Reputation: 39856

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Ok what else because that seems to be the very thing everyone says sprawl sprawl who cares LA has it phenoix etc so whats next
What else? Isn't that bad enough?

 
Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 AM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,720,975 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What else? Isn't that bad enough?
No its not give me something worse sprawl who cares about that
 
Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,299,305 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
No its not give me something worse sprawl who cares about that
People who care about their city retaining an identity, a sense of place, and sustainability 10 years from now.
 
Old 01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
 
570 posts, read 542,296 times
Reputation: 551
Some people like suburban sprawl, so that's fine. But others don't. The real issue is whether or not there are options. Those urban cities in the North that people have mentioned also have suburban sprawl. The difference is that living in suburban sprawl in those places is only an option, not a requirement. That's the problem with Atlanta; there's little option but to live in the 'burbs and spend half your day commuting back and forth from them. Living in an urban environment doesn't mean you don't have access to medical facilities, a post office, stores, restaurants, etc., it means you can WALK to those places, and maybe even walk to work (or ride a train and read the newspaper or a book while you're riding to work). I have those conveniences in my neighborhood in San Diego. I can walk to everything, including the grocery store. And if I want to see birds, I can see them from my rooftop patio (which is also very private) or in the park down the street. It's about being able to choose between the suburbs or the city. So I hope the Charlotte city planners keep up their efforts in providing residents an urban option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep. I like suburban sprawl. I live about 12 miles from uptown, in S. Charlotte and I love my little cocoon. I have everything I need, from post office to medical facilities w/in 3 miles of my front door. That is about as convenient as it gets. I have woods and a creek in my backyard and a red shouldered hawk who likes to sit in one of the huge trees on my property. My neighborhood is very quiet and pleasant. I can do my Tai Chi on my back deck and no one notices except the birds, squirrels and a chameleon now and then.

Life is good. For some of us, the burbs are preferable . . . and I personally feel ATL and CLT both have very viable burbs, even if traffic in ATL can make commuting difficult.
 
Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 PM
 
570 posts, read 542,296 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Buckhead is known all over the country lots of people dont know anything about southpark because its so tiny.
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I live in California and I can tell you you'll be hard pressed to find people here who have ever heard of Buckhead. And the last time I checked, California was still part of the country. People in my city who are into elegant shopping areas are more than satisfied with La Jolla. Or they drive up to L.A. and shop in Beverly Hills. They don't fly to Atlanta to go to Buckhead. To the extent places like that in Atlanta are known outside of Atlanta, it's probably because of Atlanta's great fortune in having CNN there, which seems to always be trying to promote Atlanta on its airwaves. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. If CNN had wound up in Charlotte, the world would be hearing about Southpark.
 
Old 01-16-2009, 12:32 AM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,720,975 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
People who care about their city retaining an identity, a sense of place, and sustainability 10 years from now.

Like i said i dont care about sprawl becausei dont do anything pass sandysprings so i see city life all day I never really see the sprawland niether do tourist because they dont go out that far
 
Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 AM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,720,975 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I live in California and I can tell you you'll be hard pressed to find people here who have ever heard of Buckhead. And the last time I checked, California was still part of the country. People in my city who are into elegant shopping areas are more than satisfied with La Jolla. Or they drive up to L.A. and shop in Beverly Hills. They don't fly to Atlanta to go to Buckhead. To the extent places like that in Atlanta are known outside of Atlanta, it's probably because of Atlanta's great fortune in having CNN there, which seems to always be trying to promote Atlanta on its airwaves. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. If CNN had wound up in Charlotte, the world would be hearing about Southpark.

CNN is not the reason Buckhead has its Status. Just like Beverly Hills you can find lots celebs from all over in Atlanta shopping at lenox and phipps ( something you wont see at Southpark because they dont have much to offer in retail . With all the conventions and events people from all over USA are here shopping in Buckhead which brings 1 billion in sales a year you have to remember atlanta is the 5th most visited city in the USA so . You will be surprised how many people out in CAli know about Buckhead. Buckhead is one of the most influential places in America. Atlanta is known world wide because yes CNN major events such as olympics NBA all star Super bowls and its History and many other major events i cant think off. Trust and it is getting more and more Better. If Charlotte can pull in More major events and offer more ay Southpark than maybe its will have that status but for now it has alot of growing to do.
 
Old 01-16-2009, 01:10 AM
 
570 posts, read 542,296 times
Reputation: 551
I'm sure there are lots of people in California that know about Buckhead. But I live in California and I can tell you that most people DON'T know about Buckhead. Almost the entire world knows about Beverly Hills, Fifth Avenue, the Champs Elysee. But outside the South, Buckhead is not all that well known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
CNN is not the reason Buckhead has its Status. Just like Beverly Hills you can find lots celebs from all over in Atlanta shopping at lenox and phipps ( something you wont see at Southpark because they dont have much to offer in retail . With all the conventions and events people from all over USA are here shopping in Buckhead which brings 1 billion in sales a year you have to remember atlanta is the 5th most visited city in the USA so . You will be surprised how many people out in CAli know about Buckhead. Buckhead is one of the most influential places in America. Atlanta is known world wide because yes CNN major events such as olympics NBA all star Super bowls and its History and many other major events i cant think off. Trust and it is getting more and more Better. If Charlotte can pull in More major events and offer more ay Southpark than maybe its will have that status but for now it has alot of growing to do.
 
Old 01-16-2009, 01:39 AM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,720,975 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
I'm sure there are lots of people in California that know about Buckhead. But I live in California and I can tell you that most people DON'T know about Buckhead. Almost the entire world knows about Beverly Hills, Fifth Avenue, the Champs Elysee. But outside the South, Buckhead is not all that well known.
Buckhead is well known Lots of people know about it
 
Old 01-16-2009, 06:50 AM
 
6,270 posts, read 10,002,067 times
Reputation: 4723
Being that the OP of this thread is in Munich, Germany and is asking the question Charlotte or Atlanta, I would have to say that Charlotte is getting its name out quite well. And we did it without ever hosting the Olympics LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top