U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 01:27 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,796,869 times

Advertisements

In defense of Atlanta, to say that it is not an international city is ridiculuous. How can it not be an international city and host the Olympics? Cities like LA, Seoul, Barcelona, Athens, etc. have hpsted the Olympics and can anyone argue that these cities are not international?

The point I was attempting to make about sprawl is that ATL is a bigger city but CLT is doing a better job at handling urban growth than ATL. But it looks like I was wrong. Kudos to Atlanta.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,232,106 times
i would say

Atlanta def wins on colleges and universities.

From what I have read, Charlotte is going to take the lead in mass transit soon.

And I would imagine Atlanta is nearing maximum capacity. Running out of water can do that to you...

Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,517,788 times
Charlotte is to Atlanta what Pittsburgh is to Philadelphia.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,517,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
In defense of Atlanta, to say that it is not an international city is ridiculuous. How can it not be an international city and host the Olympics? Cities like LA, Seoul, Barcelona, Athens, etc. have hpsted the Olympics and can anyone argue that these cities are not international?

The point I was attempting to make about sprawl is that ATL is a bigger city but CLT is doing a better job at handling urban growth than ATL. But it looks like I was wrong. Kudos to Atlanta.
Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world. There are 5 million people in the Atlanta area. It houses hundreds of international businesses. It is world know. How could anyone say that it isn't an international city? My guess is that they don't have a clue what an international city is.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 PM

69 posts, read 125,734 times
Charlotte and Atlanta are similar in many ways. Size should not be a determining factor, because if thats going to be the case then New York wins down in everything as being the best city to live in America. Los Angeles is second largest city in America yet it never wins as the best city in America in spite of its wonderful weather. So just because Atlanta is a larger metro area than Charlotte doesn't mean much. What does mean a lot is the quality of good jobs, good schools, good neighborhoods, low crime, safety, ample shopping districts, restaurants transportation, and recreation facilites. These are the things that make cities appealing and competative with one another.

Atlanta and Charlottes similarity starts with the business progressiveness that both city leaders envision for their cities. The demographics are nearly the same. Both cities lie on the red clay piedmont region, are progressive, attractive downtowns, moderate race relations and in general the climate is about the same. No doubt that Charlotte will become even more competative against Atlanta in the future. Atlanta was one of the few spots in the south for many years in terms of growth excluding Florida, Texas and Northern Virginia. But things change. In 1960 , Atlanta was the only metro area south of Wash. D.C. and east of Houston to have have one million people in its metro area. Today there are 15 metro areas in the southeast with over a million with Charlotte evolving to become a great city in the last twenty years.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM

3,093 posts, read 2,809,219 times
Sorta. ATL is huge. CLT is a lot smaller. Charlotte is the 2nd largest southeastern city, Atlanta first.

I think they are similar despite the size difference. From the weather, to the culture, accents, etc. I don't think trivial things such as ATL being the #1 undisputed poster child of urban sprawl or that Charlotte has NASCAR Hall of Fame or USNWC or Atlanta has a zoo, coke, etc. that to me doesn't make the living experience, etc. different.

I haven't been to Carowinds in years. Winston-Salem doesn't have a theme park. I don't think that's going to make a difference of their similarities.

Now Charlotte and say... Buffalo are different: Charlotte and Portland Maine. Charlotte and Charleston SC. Charlotte and Miami. Charlotte and Reno. Charlotte and Detroit. Etc.

I don't think size alone is enough to justify a city being "different" than another. I think region and geography make for stauncher differences.

The biggest difference I'd say is ATL is a capital city.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world. There are 5 million people in the Atlanta area. It houses hundreds of international businesses. It is world know. How could anyone say that it isn't an international city? My guess is that they don't have a clue what an international city is.
Charlotte has the 3rd busiest airline hub... ATL nor Charlotte could ever host the flights without connecting traffic... They are both blessed with geography for the best traffic flows in the country.

2nd the Olympics in Atlanta were thought to be a disaster. Remember what England said when the mitt Romney slammed their security? Basically slamming Salt Lake City for being nothing as opposed to a city like London? ATL has no better reputation.

I have family in Spain and when Madrid was bidding, they all dismissed Chicago as competition because the corrupt and small city in the USA in the '90s were the worst Olympic games. That seemed like a general consensus, but I think domestically it boosted ATL's image immensely but I don't think it qualifies Atlanta nor Salt Lake City as International Cities.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 PM

27,575 posts, read 24,638,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Sorta. ATL is huge. CLT is a lot smaller. Charlotte is the 2nd largest southeastern city, Atlanta first.
I'm assuming you're excluding Florida here?

Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,411,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I guess it depends how it's measured and if we're talking about metro areas or individual cities. I think Jacksonville FL is #1 by one city designation by population.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes. And also excluding population numbers. We all know how big Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Miami etc. are despite what the "figures" say how big each are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or