U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 12:40 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,110,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Most of uptown Atlanta has never been safe even when Atlanta was the size of Charlotte. I will walk anywhere in downtown Atlanta during daylight hours. I am refering to safety when it is dark. Surely you can't deny that Atlanta is one of the mose crime ridden cities in the U.S. Even Buckhead gets sketchier each year. Don't take offense. Atlanta has lots. It just isn't NYC or even Charlotte when it comes to walking in the center of the city at night.
That's because it shifts to midtown which is still apart of Our city center just like NYC .. a bunch of people aren't walking around in the downtown area of NYC at night the population shifts.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:03 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,110,893 times
Quote:
I just told you. I didn't rag on Atlanta, just the walking issue., I didn't say it wan't walkable. I said that it isn't as walkable as downtown Charlotte. Last I remember, it wasn't safe to walk to the underground unless with others and getting off of Peachtree St. is putting yourself at risk after dark. You need to be realistic. Of course Atlanta has more than Charlotte. I am only refering to walking in respect to safety.
That's still false when u say its not as walkable when its way more walkable than uptown, plus there is a large urban university smack dead in the middle of Downtown Atlanta. Uptown Charlotte is small so its easier to be monitered. Im in the 5 points area all the time and have never been robbed or hurt I have lived in large urban areas before nothing about downtown or 5 points bothers me. Plus I didn't live my life on edge. Your life is not at risk if u get off at 5 points that's laughable.. everything is centered around midtown that's where u can Dine, Shop, and Party. Truth be told I would rank Midtown Atlanta over Uptown..

Old 12-25-2012, 02:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,716,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
That's because it shifts to midtown which is still apart of Our city center just like NYC .. a bunch of people aren't walking around in the downtown area of NYC at night the population shifts.
So people don't walk around NYC at night? Hummm! I wonder why there were all over the place last week and every other time I've been there. Where do people in NYC "shift" to? Seriously, NYC and Atlanta don't have any similar downtown patterns.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:22 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,265,150 times
Quote:
Most of uptown Atlanta has never been safe even when Atlanta was the size of Charlotte. I will walk anywhere in downtown Atlanta during daylight hours. I am refering to safety when it is dark. Surely you can't deny that Atlanta is one of the mose crime ridden cities in the U.S. Even Buckhead gets sketchier each year. Don't take offense. Atlanta has lots. It just isn't NYC or even Charlotte when it comes to walking in the center of the city at night.

Well its 2012.Not 1976.Crime ridden?No.But crime is an issue.Crime in Atlanta happens in a few concentrated neighborhoods not in the main populated areas.You rarely hear of tourist being victims unless they are somewhere outside of the normal populated areas
Downtown is safe overall.There is the area South of 5points that gets sketchy.Underground is not what I would consider unsafe as it is just ghetto.Safety in any city is an issue the later it gets when there are few people out.Not at dark.You used to not even have any resturants are bars open after 7.Now things are popping up with greater frequency.
Peachtree from Hardrock Cafe South to Woodruff Park and panning west to Olympic Park is packed with tourist , conventioneers,sports fans from Phillips Arena,and music patrons from the Tabernacle after dark.It just depends on how late.
Not many cities at 3 am

Old 12-25-2012, 09:58 PM

29,784 posts, read 27,224,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Woodruff Park?Its very clean.What are you talking about?Five Points I agree
Very clean indeed, but inhabited by a significantly-sized homeless population.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:59 PM

29,784 posts, read 27,224,215 times
Quote:
You are right on? Unfortunately, places like the Underground area have been unsafe for as long as I can remember and cleaning it us has always been a unsuccessful goal.
"As long as you can remember"? I remember Underground being a very popular spot for tourists in the 90's, when World of Coke used to be in the vicinity. It's really only relatively recently that it declined.

Quote:
Most of uptown Atlanta has never been safe even when Atlanta was the size of Charlotte.
So do you have any sources on safety in downtown Atlanta in the 70's when it was the size of present-day Charlotte? I'd be interested in seeing them.

Quote:
I will walk anywhere in downtown Atlanta during daylight hours. I am refering to safety when it is dark. Surely you can't deny that Atlanta is one of the mose crime ridden cities in the U.S.
While downtown Atlanta doesn't have the cleanest image or perception, I'm not sure if the reality is that it's an unsafe area at dark. That's something else I'd need to see sources on.

Quote:
Even Buckhead gets sketchier each year.
Huh?????? What are you talking about here? If anything, Buckhead has gotten a whole lot LESS sketchier since Buckhead Village got shut down.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:10 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,931,132 times
This is a silly comparison. I might rag on Atlanta a lot, but no way Charlotte comes even close. Downtown Atlanta is actually super vibrant during the weekdays, but kind of dead at night, but I'm sure still more then Charlotte has.

Then you have Midtown Atlanta while Charlotte has nothing else of an urban area lol.

Then you have Buckhead.

Yeah, no comparison.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:29 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,571,589 times
Quote:
I dont agree with you. I work in the 191 tower downtown Atlanta on Peachtree Street, and also live Downtown Atlanta. I have the choice of walking to work or home. I never run into any problems. I would be more caution near Five Points, but it is not all of Downtown Atlanta, that is unsafe. Beside Atlanta Metro area is approaching 6 million people. How on Earth can there ever be a far comparision. I'm just saying.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"As long as you can remember"? I remember Underground being a very popular spot for tourists in the 90's, when World of Coke used to be in the vicinity. It's really only relatively recently that it declined.

Obviously you know nothing about the crime history of Atlanta. The Underground has normally been a very popular spot. But, who likes having to take a taxi to get there due to the crime surrounding the area. If you lived in Atlanta or even knew the city, you would not disagree that it is not a safe area to venture.

So do you have any sources on safety in downtown Atlanta in the 70's when it was the size of present-day Charlotte? I'd be interested in seeing them.

Why would I bother. You check. I alread know. I spent lots of time (more than I wanted) there.

While downtown Atlanta doesn't have the cleanest image or perception, I'm not sure if the reality is that it's an unsafe area at dark. That's something else I'd need to see sources on.

So what you are saying is the you have never been to Atlanta?

Huh?????? What are you talking about here? If anything, Buckhead has gotten a whole lot LESS sketchier since Buckhead Village got shut down.
Marta brought the bad element to Buckhead.

You can debate and argue all you wish. Fact is, Atlanta is the second most dangerous city in the U.S. That isn't my personal made up statistic. Atlanta is a popular large city but only a moron would deny that it isn't a crime filled place. There are some great villages around the city, ie. Marietta, Duluth, and most northern city places. Central Atlanta is mostly for business people and tourists that want to go to the Aquarium, Coco cola Museum, etc. I don't mean to take anything away from the place, but like D.C., despite its good, there is a ton of bad.

Wow!! And they say that people are touchy about comments concerning Charlotte? I guess we don't discuss Atlanta ever in a negative manner.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I dont agree with you. I work in the 191 tower downtown Atlanta on Peachtree Street, and also live Downtown Atlanta. I have the choice of walking to work or home. I never run into any problems. I would be more caution near Five Points, but it is not all of Downtown Atlanta, that is unsafe. Beside Atlanta Metro area is approaching 6 million people. How on Earth can there ever be a far comparision. I'm just saying.
Atlanta metro covers 8,376 square miles. Charlotte metro covers 456 square miles. Can you see why Atlanta has so meny people. The metro is as large as some states. Nevertheless, Atlanta is much larger but most people I meet say they like the uptown area of Charlotte better than Atlantas. It is safe and a fun place to go. Downtown Atlanta is impressive with the buildings, but as far as anything else I'm not impressed. Sorry, just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or