U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-01-2013, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,722 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Reputation: 5230

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Miami is big?
Miami is big... and it's also at the bottom of Florida. Do most people fly to go clubbing or drive 9 hours? Maybe they do... but I think most gays in the south flock to ATL when they want to party.

 
Old 01-01-2013, 02:38 PM
 
29,728 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Reputation: 18264
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
When your arguments against Charlotte devolve down to taking hits at the messenger to a personal level, this only means that you don't have much of an argument to make. There is nothing that I've said about Atlanta that would require my presence in the city yet you and the other, I presume, Atlanta former, take the tactic of dismissing everything I've said because I've haven't gone there in a few years.
Knowledge of a city doesn't require one to live there and I've never said or implied such. You are simply woefully uninformed about Atlanta, period. Your statements speak for themselves.

Quote:
Furthermore you do the same yourself by trying to tell a NC native what Eastern NC is like even though you don't speak from ANY personal experience via visits and only provide web links in defense of your argument. So your logic also would dismiss everything you said about NC's Deep South status. You an't have it both ways. (This is why I don't do battle of the web links.)
Wait a second; didn't you just say "There is nothing that I've said about Atlanta that would require my presence in the city"? But now you're saying that everything I've stated about eastern NC (which comes from scholarly, academic sources) requires MY presence in the region? Look at how easily you contradict yourself. What's good for the goose has to be good for the gander.

The fact of the matter is that everything I've said about either Atlanta or NC has been factual in nature and I've been able to back it up by presenting sources. This is a fundamental element of critical thinking and reasoning. You have failed to do so which speaks volumes.

Quote:
If you think Atlanta is somehow better than Charlotte then fine, this is your opinion. I've got no problem with that. But don't try to tell us things about our state that are not true and consist of nothing more than more of this opinion passed off as fact.
I never made an argument about which is "better;" that's subjective. However, everything I've said about NC here has been factual. Eastern NC is part of the Cotton Belt which is analogous to the Deep South from a physiographic and cultural standpoint. Charlotte borders SC, a Deep South state, which literally makes the city a gateway to the Deep South.

Quote:
Despite this, even you have admitted that NC is not a Deep South state in the same manner as Georgia. I say it simply isn't. NC is a Swing state, unlike GA, and that alone is a clear enough signal that the states are different. Charlotte as it's largest city is not a Deep South city period. (I take note that much of the blue vote comes from the rural parts of Eastern NC) These statistics speak for themselves, you can look those up too if you like, but I note that you have ignored this simple fact.
Sure the states are different; I never made that argument but we're talking about the cities of Charlotte and Atlanta here. The two are quite similar with Atlanta being a bit more on the liberal side.

Quote:
Atlanta is the "capital" of the Deep South. I've no argument with this. But Charlotte and NC doesn't take any notice of this since this isn't a Deep South state. NC pays no mind to ATL or GA as much as you can't believe this (previously stated by you). There is no reason and you can't give us any reasons though I've asked. On this forum, I' also have not made a single post in the ATL or GA forum if one even exists. I've no interest in the place.
You limit Atlanta's influence to the Deep South and that's simply not accurate. It's moreso the capital of the traditional Southeast, which includes parts of TN and NC, which are not Deep South states in their entirety (but includes regions which are Deep South physiographically and culturally). I'm guessing you're an older individual, but trust me when I say that young people in particular, as well as African Americans, in NC indeed to "pay mind to ATL" for several reasons--nightlife, shopping, gay culture, Black culture, sports, etc., reasons that have been given over and over in this thread. Your extremely limited point of view ("I have no interest in ATL, therefore no one else in NC does either") precludes you from looking outside your box and that's rather unfortunate.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 01-01-2013 at 02:46 PM..
 
Old 01-01-2013, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,722 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Reputation: 5230
The Nascar Museum is a prime example of NC paying attention/competing with ATL.... well, Charlotte not NC. I don't think it's a bad thing either.... Everyone I know who lives in ATL says Charlotte reminds them of a young Atlanta. Not sure why people are uptight when this subject comes up.
 
Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,942,670 times
Reputation: 1272
^People are not "uptight". I'm not sure why you would characterize an honest debate as such.
 
Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 AM
 
1,158 posts, read 2,311,838 times
Reputation: 551
"Everyone I know who lives in ATL says Charlotte reminds them of a young Atlanta"= VERY TRUE!!!

"Charlotte and NC doesn't take any notice of this since this isn't a Deep South state. "NC pays no mind to ATL or GA" = VERY VERY TRUE. I have worked and lived in both Atlanta and Charlotte!!!!
 
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,722 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Reputation: 5230
This thread is on page 32... and half the post are about how this topic has been discussed over and over again. Obviously, people pay mind to ATL in NC and vice versa since Charlotte is growing.

People who used to look to ATL when thinking of moving south are now looking at Charlotte.
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
3,749 posts, read 3,267,604 times
Reputation: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Miami is big... and it's also at the bottom of Florida. Do most people fly to go clubbing or drive 9 hours? Maybe they do... but I think most gays in the south flock to ATL when they want to party.
Why? What gay club/scene is worth the drive in ATL? I didn't know Atlanta was a gay destination. Outside of its sphere of dominance.
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM
 
4 posts, read 14,041 times
Reputation: 14
No way are they alike. Charlotte is clean, concise, beautiful, and Atlanta is the opposite of all those things. You'd be crazy to take Atlanta over Charlotte imo.
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,722 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Why? What gay club/scene is worth the drive in ATL? I didn't know Atlanta was a gay destination. Outside of its sphere of dominance.
To me? None... I'm not gay.

However, it wouldn't take long to find out where the clubs are... not sure how diverse the crowd is though.
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM
 
29,728 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Reputation: 18264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Why? What gay club/scene is worth the drive in ATL? I didn't know Atlanta was a gay destination. Outside of its sphere of dominance.
Really? Wow, where have you been? This has been the case for a little while now.

Magazine Ranks Atlanta America's Gayest City : NPR (from 2010)
Atlanta no longer 'gayest city' in America but still Mecca for black LGBT community | theGrio (from 2012)
Frontiers – Frontiers (vol 27 iss 11) : Trip Atlanta The Gay Capital Of The South
Atlanta's gay population explosion - Atlanta Gay Relationship | Examiner.com
World’s Largest Black Gay Pride Event Part Of A Jam Packed Weekend In Atlanta CBS Atlanta
The best picks around the world for celebrating Pride - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top