U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 06:11 PM

29,668 posts, read 27,103,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
You said it was a fallacy for me to speak for others, yet, almost in the same breath, you turn around and do this yourself. You can't have it both ways.
It's because I know and know of lots of Charlotteans/North Carolinians that come to Atlanta various times of the year for certain things. I knew and knew of them when I lived in Charlotte and visited Atlanta and know and know of them now that I live here. So not only do I have the objective data and news sources, but I have personal knowledge as well.

Furthermore, the difference between my assertion and yours is that you attempted to prove a negative; an inability to disprove does not prove, which is what you tried to do ("I know of no one from Charlotte/NC who visits Atlanta; therefore, no one from Charlotte/NC visits Atlanta"). That's known as Russell's teapot in logic, by the way (usually applied to fallacies regarding the existence of a supernatural being, but is very much applicable here also).

Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,105,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Why? What gay club/scene is worth the drive in ATL? I didn't know Atlanta was a gay destination. Outside of its sphere of dominance.

LMAO !!! I dont know where u been but let me educate you on yet another reason why u see this portion of Charlotte's residents travel to Atlanta.

Atlanta has long been recognized as the gay capital of the Southeast, a tolerant oasis that draws ***** residents and tourists from all over the region. And was once labeled as the gayiest city in America because of its large percentage of gay residents..

The city’s enormous annual Pride Festival began in 1971 and today brings in hundreds of thousands of travelers to the city with a deluge of events happening around Piedmont Park or the Atlanta Civic Center. The parade was also the largest ever this year with some 200 entries and lasted nearly three hours from beginning at the MARTA Civic Station to the end at the Charles Allen entrance of Piedmont Park. The city also hosts one of the world’s largest Black Gay Pride Celebrations each year over Labor Day weekend.

So yes the gays from Charlotte and NC do come here for pride and other countless events.. The Blacks Gays in Charlotte will be here for MLK weekend which is another big party weekend here. I have met people from all over the world during these events. As Charlotte offers little to almost nothing worth attending "Scorpios " for its gay Community when it comes to partying on regular weekends thats why alot of them come and make that short drive to Atlanta. There is something going on here for Gay people Monday thru Sunday.

Last edited by Staysean23; 01-02-2013 at 11:17 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I'm "a gay" and The only city gays go specifically for clubbing is DC.... Other than that...

Yeah if you live in Virgina are northern part of NC but where u are sweetie AKA Charlotte there coming to Atlanta especially the black ones.. I am a black gay male this I know. DC is good if u want good gay bars thats it Clubs in DC are a wash...There best male strip club is Secrets in DC and it pales in comparison to Swinging Richards here in Atlanta.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I remember all the articles from CNN, Washington Post, etc. calling us the "New South" and that Charlotte represents the "New South"

First time I've really heard us called that and it's a title that has stuck since. Which really begs the question is North Carolina like Georgia or Virginia? When I think of Raleigh, I think of Higher Education, white collar, high tech, progressive city. Charlotte is 2.5x more populated and I believe denser and I think they view us just as progressive. White collar, Banking/financial hub, 10th largest airport in the world, Light Rail, progressive also.

I wonder what most people think of A town Down.... One thin for sure - ATL and CLT have an insignificant amount of leisure travelers from outside of the South: cant imagine anyone wanting to vacation in neither city from Wisconsin, iowa, etc.

Give me beaches, Chicago, Miami, Portland, Boston, Seattle, San Fran, LA, Las Vegas; Orlando, Tampa, etc

Yet we are still labeled as the capital of the New South..

I'm from Miami and its boring to me .. Give me anything over seas I have exhausted the US they all are starting to look alike..

Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
This thread is on page 32... and half the post are about how this topic has been discussed over and over again. Obviously, people pay mind to ATL in NC and vice versa since Charlotte is growing.

People who used to look to ATL when thinking of moving south are now looking at Charlotte.

I agree Also note Charlotte wants to attract the same events that Atlanta has already Hosted... And Atlanta looked to Charotte on how to start a LIGHT RAIL SYSTEM.. so the both look to each other for something.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 PM

494 posts, read 676,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Yeah if you live in Virgina are northern part of NC but where u are sweetie AKA Charlotte there coming to Atlanta especially the black ones.. I am a black gay male this I know. DC is good if u want good gay bars thats it Clubs in DC are a wash...There best male strip club is Secrets in DC and it pales in comparison to Swinging Richards here in Atlanta.
Secrets may be a better club, but Swinging Richards has a MUCH better name...

Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 AM

607 posts, read 1,014,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post

So yes the gays from Charlotte and NC do come here for pride and other countless events.. The Blacks Gays in Charlotte will be here for MLK weekend which is another big party weekend here. I have met people from all over the world during these events. As Charlotte offers little to almost nothing worth attending "Scorpios " for its gay Community when it comes to partying on regular weekends thats why alot of them come and make that short drive to Atlanta. There is something going on here for Gay people Monday thru Sunday.
I'm not going to argue against Atlanta having a thriving gay scene and I'm not going to compare Charlotte to it, but you're selling Charlotte a little short on the scene here. Scorpios? No one who lives IN Charlotte really goes there anymore. Cathode, Hartigans, The bar at 316, Marigny, Snug Harbor are a few other options that are more popular with the Charlotte crowd.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,939,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's because I know and know of lots of Charlotteans/North Carolinians that come to Atlanta
This is a personal anecdote. It can't be proven or disproved. Since the rest of your point rests on this "proof", it's really irrelevant. It's easy enough for me to state exactly the same thing. Furthermore, I'm not seeking to prove anything as it is you who are telling us residents why we are wrong about our own home. The burden is on you.

What I HAVE said is that NC is a swing state, Georgia simply isn't. This can be easily verified and this alone proves the difference between the New South and the Deep South. Atlanta is the capital of the Deep South of which NC and Charlotte is not a part of.

Furthermore I've asked you several times to explain in detail why Charlotte must look to Atlanta for anything. If your only response is that it has some popular Gay bars, then I can accept this since I won't argue whether it does or not, but I don't think you are going to find this matters to most people, including plenty of Gays & Lesbians. Charlotte just had a Gay pride festival in downtown this year. The people who held this event are invested in our community here, and to me this means they are not looking to move to ATL.

The bottom line, is that you guys from Atlanta, who seek to tell us in NC that you are better, have simply failed to make that point. There is nothing in ATL or GA that people from NC need. Period.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,696,943 times
I somewhat agree with a bunch of what you're saying, but I do find it a little funny how you keep saying that NC is a swing state (it is). Yet during the election you were going on and on about how Obama made a mistake by having the DNC in NC...

Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 AM

11,715 posts, read 9,338,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I somewhat agree with a bunch of what you're saying, but I do find it a little funny how you keep saying that NC is a swing state (it is). Yet during the election you were going on and on about how Obama made a mistake by having the DNC in NC...
swing state in the gay sense? lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or