Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 10:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Actually SouthPark does have a mini-skyline and the mall does have major retail (and there are the shopping centers that surround the mall). SouthPark mall isn't as big as Lennox, but the quality of retail in the two malls are comparable. Even though I'm doubtful, it would be nice to see SouthPark develop into a more walkable area.
I wonder if making SP more pedestrian friendly is possible? I agree - that would definitely be a plus.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Atlanta does provide better retail for men.
It hard to find popular Men's Designers like Armani, Kenneth Cole, Versace, Gregg Homme etc.

Atlanta has an actual district for the gays with gay run shops, bed & breakfasts, and a day & night time life for this crowd.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It hard to find popular Men's Designers like Armani, Kenneth Cole, Versace, Gregg Homme etc.

Atlanta has an actual district for the gays with gay run shops, bed & breakfasts, and a day & night time life for this crowd.
You know, I think you are right Sunny. I have a friend, quite the metrosexual, who travels to Atlanta twice a year to shop. He claims to find things there he doesn't find here.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

You know, it has surprised me that CLT does not have more upscale men's shops. Yes, we have Brooks Brothers and Jos A Banks. . .

Nordstrom sells Kenneth Cole, Armani, Versace and Hugo Boss . . .

Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You know, it has surprised me that CLT does not have more upscale men's shops. Yes, we have Brooks Brothers and Jos A Banks. . .

Nordstrom sells Kenneth Cole, Armani, Versace and Hugo Boss . . .
Brooks Brothers and Jos A banks is either a suit store or a golf clothing store.

Yes I seen those items at Nordstrom but the selection in each of those designers is very small .

It wouldnt be a business venture for someone like in South End

Old 01-13-2009, 10:53 AM

355 posts, read 992,655 times
I would love for a Hugo Boss store to come to Charlotte! but I still love crown town LOL!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:41 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
You know, that is the oddest statement and somehow, I had missed it. I wonder where all these "vinyl huts" are that the poster is talking about. I am in South Charlotte and we have mostly all brick homes here . . . ?????
Follow back to the post I quoted.

Actually, if you look on the MLS for Charlotte, you will see a lot of newer areas where the home has the brick or stone front, and the other 3 sides are vinyl. In better construction, hardboard siding is used when they will only put the stonework on one facade. This is what I saw (3 sides in vinyl) for many newer areas oustide the ring road (is that 485 or 477) on some MLS websites.

After a while, the vinyl neighborhoods tend to degenerate. My home in Atlanta was all brick and I miss that.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Follow back to the post I quoted.

Actually, if you look on the MLS for Charlotte, you will see a lot of newer areas where the home has the brick or stone front, and the other 3 sides are vinyl. In better construction, hardboard siding is used when they will only put the stonework on one facade. This is what I saw (3 sides in vinyl) for many newer areas oustide the ring road (is that 485 or 477) on some MLS websites.

After a while, the vinyl neighborhoods tend to degenerate. My home in Atlanta was all brick and I miss that.
Gotcha - thanx so much for clarifying . . . surrounding areas w/ new construction do have that type of construction, but that seems to be very common all over the USA. Now, inside 51, you just don't see that but rarely - more all brick homes than any other type.

I think a lot of what you are seeing may actually be outside Charlotte's city limits . . .

Old 01-13-2009, 12:47 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
For some reason, all brick homes in Charlotte start at $250,000. I noticed that when I was looking to buy. As a result, I threw my hands up and bought a cheap vinyl townhouse LOL!!!
Quote:
I wonder if making SP more pedestrian friendly is possible? I agree - that would definitely be a plus.
I think SP is heading that way. It will be some time before it is on the same scale as Buckhead, but I do see pockets of urbanity all around the mall. In the last decade, many urban style condos and apartments have gone up in the Southpark area. Here is a video I shot at night of the Residence at Southpark.

YouTube - Southpark

I need to spend some more time in Southpark doing more videos because it is "urbanizing" itself at an uptown rate of speed. Southpark does not get the recognition it deserves (mainly because of Buckhead). From Tyvola and Park to Colony, SP is becoming urban without a doubt. The problem is (and will always be) Fairview and Sharon Rd. These two massive roads makes walkability in SP nearly impossible. These roads need to be norrowed and a wide "curb-up" median should be installed. Until then, SP will always be a pedestrian's nightmare.

Have any of you guys seen the new development on Sharon near Harris Teeter? It is across the street from Boders. It has another book store anchored in it with a very walkable urban design. There are also residences at this development. This area near Morrison is an easy walk to supermarkets, shopping, dining, the gym, offices, mass transit (CATS bus), and drug stores. I would have to say this area is probably one of the most complete walkable neighborhoods in Charlotte. I hope I am not the only poster familiar with this area of town because if I am I probably sound silly right now.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:05 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,408 times
Quote:
Very true. SouthPark could be a section of Buckhead, but it would be a very nice section. Clean, uncrowded, well landscaped and upscale. As for your statements about all the hotels . . . sure Buckhead has more hotels! But SouthPark has a nice Renaissance, Doubletree and 4 star Marriott.

In addition, who wants a "skyline" in SouthPark? I certainly do not! I like the subtle residential mix w/ upscale shopping. And you are sadly misinformed when you say there is no major retail on the scale of Lenox and Phipps. I do go to Phipps to shop - the only place I shop at Lenox is Bloomies, wh/ we do not have here in CLT. HOWEVER - SouthPark does have Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. Not to mention Tiffany's, Kate Spade, M. Kors, Louis Vuitton, etc. Sure . . . no Saks . . . But to say SouthPark "has no retail" - sorry. Boutiques and niche shoppes - from Williams Sonoma to Crate/Barrel are also in the SP area . . . and SP serves the whole MSA as the upscale shopping district in this region.

And sorry - MARTA stopping at Lenox may be your idea of upscale, but it isn't MINE.
Now i Can name about 30 to 40 upscale to upscale trendy stores that the Charlotte market dont have thats Atlanta has Thats why i said No major major retail Like Sony Style, Metropark, Cartier, Calvin Klien ,Bvlgari, Ferragamo, Ed hardy, Zara, SiSley, Hugo Boss, David Yurman, barneys, VAlentino, Gucci, Jimmy Choo, Versace ,MaxMara . Diesal True Relegion Giorgio Armani, Theory, Ballys BetseyJohnson, Y-3, Armani Exchange, Mark Shale, 7 for all mankind, Miss Sixty/Energie, club monaco , Saks, Neimans is 2 times bigger with a bigger selection Bloomingdales and Tom Ford and Thomas Pink are in talks with opening at Lenox etc and thats just a few. not To mention Perimeter who has its Share of upscale retail. and when 2010 gets here streets of Buckhead will be here and thats just on a whole nother level here is this line up and there going to be 80 in total
[edit] Resturants
  • Bottega del Vino
  • The Capital Grille
  • Fado Irish Pub & Restaurant
  • Japonais
  • La Goulue
  • Le Colonial
[edit] Gallery

Lenox and Phipps bring over 1 billion in sales a year so there is no similarities when it comes to comparing malls and and areas Buckhead could be its own city Southpark isnt on that level I never said Marta was upscale I said HAving 4 train stops in buckhead its great because you dont have to drive there and that makes it kinda urban. You guys have good reatil but i couldnt shop there because everything there atlanta already has and has had for a longer time I am not trying to bash i am just trying to seperate and show there is no comparisons so people can stop comparing i would rather tem compare Houston to atlanta or miami but atlanta is last in line when it comes to thoughs but not far behind.

Last edited by atlantaATL; 01-13-2009 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte