Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 AM

338 posts, read 897,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, according to your standards . . . most of the USA is made up of LARGE villages pretending to be pseudo-cities, LOL.
Yes. That's true. America is a largely suburban, car-oriented nation and is the diametric opposite of Europe which is urbanized and in which people rely on mass transit -- not cars. If you dispute that, then clearly you haven't traveled much outside of this country.

Anyway, back to the topic, Charlotte -- like Atlanta -- is a typical American city, and they are quite similar.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
Yes. That's true. America is a largely suburban, car-oriented nation and is the diametric opposite of Europe which is urbanized and in which people rely on mass transit -- not cars. If you dispute that, then clearly you haven't traveled much outside of this country.

Anyway, back to the topic, Charlotte -- like Atlanta -- is a typical American city, and they are quite similar.
I wasn't disputing anything about the nature of cities; I was getting a giggle at your phrase "pseudo-city." I have not lived in Europe but have traveled extensively here and abroad.

I am a villages/burbs/burg kinda gal, so it wouldn't matter what part of the world I lived in . . . I would seek out a field, not a highrise to live in, wh/ is one reason I like Charlotte's layout (as well as ATL's) - nice burbs.

As for CLT and ATL being so similar . . . I will say it again. In comparing the two cities, they are as much alike as any two cities are alike in the USA, given the demographics and physical location. THey are not located on bodies of water . . . they are both located S of the Mason Dixon line . . . they both have very robust burbs . . . and they are business centers for the states/regions in wh/ they are located. They are both in temperate zones so vegetation is similar as is overall weather . . . and they both attract transplants and so natives are becoming a rare commodity.

Cost of living is similar but then, again, the COL in both CLT and ATL is comparable to other areas, so this is not unique . . .

Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I’ve lived in Atlanta. So I know the city well. You answered my question, there is “NO” reason for a tourist or visitor to go to Linburgh Station. Tourists, the ones who dare ride the train to the mall, which would be few, get off at Lenox, and that’s it. And you know that. Also, answer this, what station is going to service The Streets of Buckhead? Better question, what station services ESPN Zone now? In other words, if I wanted to ride the train to ESPN Zone, or to the area where The Streets of Buckhead will be, what station do I get off at?

So please, enough with the “nan, na, nan, na, boo, boo, we’re bigger!!!” LMAO. We get that. So you can ride the train to Lenox; there’s an express bus station underneath South Park. It’s all transit. The point is that the Buckhead and South Park areas are similar. Just like Atlanta and Charlotte are similar; which was the original question of this thread. Some how posters like you turned this into a, which is better debate, which was not the original intent. Fact is, both cities are similar. It’s just like asking if a Ford Explorer and a Ford Expedition are similar. Obviously they are. One is just a larger version of the other. It’s up to ones personal preference as to which is “better”. When gas prices spike, one can easily understand why an Expedition might not be considered the “better” option.

Right when one dominates the other there are no comparisons. Tourist coming to Charlotte dont have much of an option how are they going to get to south park (ride the bus) Lots of Atlantas tourist due ride the trains. Yeah its all transit but when you have more then one options of trainsit it makes it better. Southpark could just be a section of buckhead your in and your out. Southpark cant even compete with Perimeter area in Sandys Springs. I dont see lots of Celebritys and Famous people trafficing to southpark and I dont see the wealth in Southpark that Buckhead has. Buckhead is known all over the country lots of people dont know anything about southpark because its so tiny. And No there wont be a train station at Streets of buckhead. But Midtown mile is going to be very walkable with Flagship shops restaurants and bars. AND i bet 9 times out of ten once this is complete, Charlotte people are going to be flocking right too Atlanta like they already do every weekend. so you blah blah blah i dont see no Comparison its my opinion and its nothing going to change that no matter how much you sit here and go back and forth because its not going to Get no where. Atlanta is always going to continue to Dominate the Southeast. Charlotte will just be our lil sister city

Last edited by atlantaATL; 01-14-2009 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Very well put, CB.

And as someone who shops at both Lenox and Phipps . . . and I stay in either the Ritz or the Westin when there so I know about walking in that area . . . it is hell to walk from the Westin to Phipps. It is NOT pedestrian friendly - and the MARTA station at Lenox has gotten NASTY.

If you cant walk from Westin Hotel to Phipps you are just plan out lazy I know places in NYC that you have to walk that for to get to whatever location you want to. I never seen Lenox train station get Nasty im on the train everyday LIes you tell

Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I wasn't disputing anything about the nature of cities; I was getting a giggle at your phrase "pseudo-city." I have not lived in Europe but have traveled extensively here and abroad.

I am a villages/burbs/burg kinda gal, so it wouldn't matter what part of the world I lived in . . . I would seek out a field, not a highrise to live in, wh/ is one reason I like Charlotte's layout (as well as ATL's) - nice burbs.

As for CLT and ATL being so similar . . . I will say it again. In comparing the two cities, they are as much alike as any two cities are alike in the USA, given the demographics and physical location. THey are not located on bodies of water . . . they are both located S of the Mason Dixon line . . . they both have very robust burbs . . . and they are business centers for the states/regions in wh/ they are located. They are both in temperate zones so vegetation is similar as is overall weather . . . and they both attract transplants and so natives are becoming a rare commodity.

Cost of living is similar but then, again, the COL in both CLT and ATL is comparable to other areas, so this is not unique . . .
Yeah I can see them being similar in that sense and in that case NAShville is similar birmingham New Orleans and every other city in The US i was referring to Population developments status and size tourist attractions wealth Atlanta dominates Charlotte in ALot of areas and when i see that i just never see any comparisions In my Opinion in order for to citys to be compared or be similar that almost have to be equal in every conner

Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:

In that sense yes I can see them being similar but that can be said about Nashville Birmingham New orleans and every other city in US. I was talking about somethings like AMenities, tourist attraction weathiest, status around the world, Special Events conventions , Tourist attractions, MAss transit, Economy size Population etc . Atlanta dominates Charlotte in every corner. In my opinion in order for a city to be compared in every area, (you cant just pick a few that you want if you going to compare put it all out on the table.) IF the citys dont come out somewhat equal or maybe a lil bit behind then there is No comparisions. LIke i can see Houston and Dallas being compared because they are almost the same

Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Right when one dominates the other there are no comparisons. Tourist coming to Charlotte dont have much of an option how are they going to get to south park (ride the bus) Lots of Atlantas tourist due ride the trains. Yeah its all transit but when you have more then one options of trainsit it makes it better. Southpark could just be a section of buckhead your in and your out. Southpark cant even compete with Perimeter area in Sandys Springs. I dont see lots of Celebritys and Famous people trafficing to southpark and I dont see the wealth in Southpark that Buckhead has. Buckhead is known all over the country lots of people dont know anything about southpark because its so tiny. And No there wont be a train station at Streets of buckhead. But Midtown mile is going to be very walkable with Flagship shops restaurants and bars. AND i bet 9 times out of ten once this is complete, Charlotte people are going to be flocking right too Atlanta like they already do every weekend. so you blah blah blah i dont see no Comparison its my opinion and its nothing going to change that no matter how much you sit here and go back and forth because its not going to Get no where. Atlanta is always going to continue to Dominate the Southeast. Charlotte will just be our lil sister city
If South Park "could be a section of Buckhead", then isn't it "like" Buckhead??? WTF???

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-15-2009 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: flaming

Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
If you cant walk from Westin Hotel to Phipps you are just plan out lazy I know places in NYC that you have to walk that for to get to whatever location you want to. I never seen Lenox train station get Nasty im on the train everyday LIes you tell
Yes, I am lazy. Just such a hassle to have James bring the Limo around.

Glad you enjoy dodging cars that don't yield to your right of way and you find the graffiti and trash at the Lenox stop to be up to your standards.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Right when one dominates the other there are no comparisons.
Of course there are. That's a silly assessment. The two cities still share similar qualities which serve as a basis for comparison. You even said that Charlotte will always be Atlanta's "little sister." People compare siblings all the time, don't they? And if there was nothing here in Charlotte to compare to Atlanta, then why did your city leaders recently pay us a visit (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2008/03/31/saporta0331.html - broken link) to check out our new light rail line?

Comparing and equivocating are two different things, and I don't think you know the difference.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 01-14-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 12:27 PM

338 posts, read 897,007 times
While Atlanta offers more than Charlotte does, I don't see how anyone can doubt that they're similar. Atlantans who do doubt it are under an illusion that their city is an international city in the league with other similarly sized cities (e.g., Munich, Berlin, Rome, Barcelona, Sydney, SF, Boston, DC, etc.). It is not. Moreover, unlike those cities (and like Charlotte, Indianapolis, Dallas, Cincinatti, etc.), people from Europe, Asia, the Middle East, etc. do not take leisure holidays to see Atlanta. While the High Museum and the Fernbank Museum are better than what Charlotte has, people in London, Paris, Hong Kong, Berlin, etc. are hardly interested in what, to them, are utterly subpar institutions. Similarly, while Buckhead clearly is better than Southpark, most non-Americans have zero interest in walking its newly installed sidewalks in order to see a Cartier in a shopping mall which is one-tenth of the size of the ones on the world's great shopping boulevards (i.e., Bond Street, Fifth/Madison Avenues, Avenue Montaigne, Via Condotti, etc.).

I have come to learn that Atlanta is a very nice, very affordable place. Nevertheless, like Charlotte, it is a typical American, sunbelt city that has become much better over the past 20 years.

Last edited by Londonlawyer; 01-14-2009 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte