Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,843,095 times

Advertisements

Uptown Charlotte is great for walking around, dining, and bar hopping. Downtown Atlanta isn't as safe and walkable. Atlanta like L.A. is the ultimate car driving city even with MARTA. If Charlotte doesn't get light rail service all over, it will have the same nightmare. Not knocking Atlanta, but for me it is Charlotte all the way. Atlanta is bigger than Boston. It is hard to really compare Charlotte and Atlant since Atlanta is twice Charlotte's size. It is like comparing Chicago with New York. The difference in comparisons is that Atlanta and Charlotte are similar southern cultures. Chicago has a midwestern culture and NYC has a northeastern culture.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,251,288 times
Haven't read the entire thread but in my limited experiences in Atlanta I would say that Charlotte is similar to a smaller Atlanta, which isn't a bad thing IMO. Obviously they're not exactly alike but they are more alike than many other random cities people might compare:

-landlocked southern cities with similar climates
-hub airports
-lots of suburban sprawl
-relatively similar racial breakdown
-lot of transplants which results in a relatively disinterested professional sports fanbase

Old 12-24-2012, 01:19 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,887,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Uptown Charlotte is great for walking around, dining, and bar hopping. Downtown Atlanta isn't as safe and walkable. Atlanta like L.A. is the ultimate car driving city even with MARTA. If Charlotte doesn't get light rail service all over, it will have the same nightmare. Not knocking Atlanta, but for me it is Charlotte all the way. Atlanta is bigger than Boston. It is hard to really compare Charlotte and Atlant since Atlanta is twice Charlotte's size. It is like comparing Chicago with New York. The difference in comparisons is that Atlanta and Charlotte are similar southern cultures. Chicago has a midwestern culture and NYC has a northeastern culture.
So u saying downtown Atlanta isn't walkable? When the urban fabric of downtown Atlanta is way more developed than Uptown way more walkable transit stations . And is Uptown your only arguement? Since your comparing Uptown to Downtown please tell me what in Charlotte compares to midtown Atlanta.

Last edited by Staysean23; 12-24-2012 at 02:13 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 12:22 AM

37,792 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuprotocol View Post
When it comes to things to do and events, Charlotte is in 1st grade and Atlanta is on their last semester of their Masters Degree. The difference is that striking.
OK, now you're exaggerating just a tad. No doubt Atlanta has more attractions and events, but you're making it seem like Charlotte is High Point in comparison which is not accurate at all. While I certainly have more options available to me in Atlanta, I was never without options in Charlotte. Lots of festivals, special events, concerts, sporting events, etc. to do year-round in Charlotte.

Quote:
Uptown Charlotte is great for walking around, dining, and bar hopping. Downtown Atlanta isn't as safe and walkable.
Downtown Atlanta is actually more walkable than Uptown Charlotte as it is more extensive and urban, but Midtown is where the center of activity mostly is when it comes to dining, bar-hopping, and nightlife.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:33 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,716,978 times
Quote:

Downtown Atlanta is not as safe and walkable?Its not exactly unsafe.Im sure Charlotte is safer but less populated area means less foot traffic.That leads to less potential victims.Downtown is the center of most of the visitor traffic in Atlanta.Not sure why you think its not walk-able.Its probably the most walkable area of all Atlanta.30
This is some of Downtown:

Old 12-25-2012, 09:29 AM

37,792 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Downtown Atlanta is not as safe and walkable?Its not exactly unsafe.Im sure Charlotte is safer but less populated area means less foot traffic.That leads to less potential victims.Downtown is the center of most of the visitor traffic in Atlanta.Not sure why you think its not walk-able.Its probably the most walkable area of all Atlanta.30
Downtown is by far the most walkable part of Atlanta and is more urban than a lot of people give it credit for. However, it's a very mixed bag which is why the perceptions exist as they do. You have the more tourist-friendly areas of Pemberton Place and Peachtree Street between Baker and Ellis, Five Points has lots of restaurants but there's little to no after-hours activity there, and Woodruff Park, the Five Points MARTA station, and Underground have a large homeless and panhandler population. If the city could ever truly clean up the areas around Woodruff Park, the Five Points station, and Underground, it would truly take the city to another level and would do wonders for the perception of downtown Atlanta and the city as a whole. Uptown Charlotte doesn't really have those issues to contend with (there's a visible homeless population Uptown, but it is more relegated to the northern edge) which is why it has an advantage in having a centralized, urban nightlife in addition to the neighborhood hot spots outside of Uptown.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:22 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,716,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Downtown is by far the most walkable part of Atlanta and is more urban than a lot of people give it credit for. However, it's a very mixed bag which is why the perceptions exist as they do. You have the more tourist-friendly areas of Pemberton Place and Peachtree Street between Baker and Ellis, Five Points has lots of restaurants but there's little to no after-hours activity there, and Woodruff Park, the Five Points MARTA station, and Underground have a large homeless and panhandler population. If the city could ever truly clean up the areas around Woodruff Park, the Five Points station, and Underground, it would truly take the city to another level and would do wonders for the perception of downtown Atlanta and the city as a whole. Uptown Charlotte doesn't really have those issues to contend with (there's a visible homeless population Uptown, but it is more relegated to the northern edge) which is why it has an advantage in having a centralized, urban nightlife in addition to the neighborhood hot spots outside of Uptown.
Woodruff Park?Its very clean.What are you talking about?Five Points I agree

Old 12-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
So u saying downtown Atlanta isn't walkable? When the urban fabric of downtown Atlanta is way more developed than Uptown way more walkable transit stations . And is Uptown your only arguement? Since your comparing Uptown to Downtown please tell me what in Charlotte compares to midtown Atlanta.
I just told you. I didn't rag on Atlanta, just the walking issue., I didn't say it wan't walkable. I said that it isn't as walkable as downtown Charlotte. Last I remember, it wasn't safe to walk to the underground unless with others and getting off of Peachtree St. is putting yourself at risk after dark. You need to be realistic. Of course Atlanta has more than Charlotte. I am only refering to walking in respect to safety.

Last edited by vindaloo; 12-25-2012 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You are right on? Unfortunately, places like the Underground area have been unsafe for as long as I can remember and cleaning it us has always been a unsuccessful goal.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

Most of uptown Atlanta has never been safe even when Atlanta was the size of Charlotte. I will walk anywhere in downtown Atlanta during daylight hours. I am refering to safety when it is dark. Surely you can't deny that Atlanta is one of the mose crime ridden cities in the U.S. Even Buckhead gets sketchier each year. Don't take offense. Atlanta has lots. It just isn't NYC or even Charlotte when it comes to walking in the center of the city at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte