Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I’ve lived in Atlanta. So I know the city well. You answered my question, there is “NO” reason for a tourist or visitor to go to Linburgh Station. Tourists, the ones who dare ride the train to the mall, which would be few, get off at Lenox, and that’s it. And you know that. Also, answer this, what station is going to service The Streets of Buckhead? Better question, what station services ESPN Zone now? In other words, if I wanted to ride the train to ESPN Zone, or to the area where The Streets of Buckhead will be, what station do I get off at?

So please, enough with the “nan, na, nan, na, boo, boo, we’re bigger!!!” LMAO. We get that. So you can ride the train to Lenox; there’s an express bus station underneath South Park. It’s all transit. The point is that the Buckhead and South Park areas are similar. Just like Atlanta and Charlotte are similar; which was the original question of this thread. Some how posters like you turned this into a, which is better debate, which was not the original intent. Fact is, both cities are similar. It’s just like asking if a Ford Explorer and a Ford Expedition are similar. Obviously they are. One is just a larger version of the other. It’s up to ones personal preference as to which is “better”. When gas prices spike, one can easily understand why an Expedition might not be considered the “better” option.
This was something I said earlier. I agree with this statement. Atlanta is bigger, and for arguments sake, better than Charlotte. However, how they are growing and types of growth are similiar. I think CLT and ATL have the same types of identity, both are southern and growing. Here in the south our city is different than city growth up north, NYC, Phily, Boston, etc., and I think I can speak for all southerners when I say we like our cities more than northern cities. So I guess its safe to say that CLT is a microcosm of ATL.

ATL is a nice city, the capital of the south. But CLT is extremely nice and I think we will develop better than ATL because we have the adnantage of still being pliable.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
Also, FYI, Atlanta has more sprawl than Charlotte. Charlotte is the least sprawled huge metro region in NC. Meaning Triad and Triangle are experiencing more sprawl. Just wanted to point those out.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:24 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
^I'm not sure how that's the case, but even if true, it really doesn't mean much.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM

236 posts, read 695,395 times
Depending on which metric you choose to look believe, sprawl in Charlotte is worse than Atlanta.., proportionally related to population and land area.

http://rismedia.com/wp/2004-11-10/se...-urban-sprawl/

And I'd also say the probably 80% of people who comment on these blogs prefer the joys and comfort of suburban sprawl and have chosen to make it home...

Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabber View Post
Depending on which metric you choose to look believe, sprawl in Charlotte is worse than Atlanta.., proportionally related to population and land area.

Seattle Study Ranks Charlotte, N.C., Worst in Urban Sprawl | RISMedia

And I'd also say the probably 80% of people who comment on these blogs prefer the joys and comfort of suburban sprawl and have chosen to make it home...
Yep. I like suburban sprawl. I live about 12 miles from uptown, in S. Charlotte and I love my little cocoon. I have everything I need, from post office to medical facilities w/in 3 miles of my front door. That is about as convenient as it gets. I have woods and a creek in my backyard and a red shouldered hawk who likes to sit in one of the huge trees on my property. My neighborhood is very quiet and pleasant. I can do my Tai Chi on my back deck and no one notices except the birds, squirrels and a chameleon now and then.

Life is good. For some of us, the burbs are preferable . . . and I personally feel ATL and CLT both have very viable burbs, even if traffic in ATL can make commuting difficult.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:30 PM

5 posts, read 9,800 times
Default Yes and no

I always tell people if you had something in between Athens Ga. and Atlanta it would look a lot like Charlotte.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:29 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, I am lazy. Just such a hassle to have James bring the Limo around.

Glad you enjoy dodging cars that don't yield to your right of way and you find the graffiti and trash at the Lenox stop to be up to your standards.
Well I Never seen in Graffiti at Lenox Nor Trash around Lenox train station, I never have to Dodge traffic Half of the time when i am there, there's a cop Directing traffic so i dont have to dodge traffic. And I dont care about graffiti its all over NYC and no one Complains. So i guess Thats everyone in NYCs standard of Living too Even the wealthy. When Charlotte gets out of its Mid sized city status and grows into a Big city lets see how long it takes for it to start looking grungy

Last edited by atlantaATL; 01-14-2009 at 11:42 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Of course there are. That's a silly assessment. The two cities still share similar qualities which serve as a basis for comparison. You even said that Charlotte will always be Atlanta's "little sister." People compare siblings all the time, don't they? And if there was nothing here in Charlotte to compare to Atlanta, then why did your city leaders recently pay us a visit (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2008/03/31/saporta0331.html - broken link) to check out our new light rail line?

Comparing and equivocating are two different things, and I don't think you know the difference.

they paid a visit to look at light rail because we are expanding our rail options they never built light rail before because we started out with Heavy Rail.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
While Atlanta offers more than Charlotte does, I don't see how anyone can doubt that they're similar. Atlantans who do doubt it are under an illusion that their city is an international city in the league with other similarly sized cities (e.g., Munich, Berlin, Rome, Barcelona, Sydney, SF, Boston, DC, etc.). It is not. Moreover, unlike those cities (and like Charlotte, Indianapolis, Dallas, Cincinatti, etc.), people from Europe, Asia, the Middle East, etc. do not take leisure holidays to see Atlanta. While the High Museum and the Fernbank Museum are better than what Charlotte has, people in London, Paris, Hong Kong, Berlin, etc. are hardly interested in what, to them, are utterly subpar institutions. Similarly, while Buckhead clearly is better than Southpark, most non-Americans have zero interest in walking its newly installed sidewalks in order to see a Cartier in a shopping mall which is one-tenth of the size of the ones on the world's great shopping boulevards (i.e., Bond Street, Fifth/Madison Avenues, Avenue Montaigne, Via Condotti, etc.).

I have come to learn that Atlanta is a very nice, very affordable place. Nevertheless, like Charlotte, it is a typical American, sunbelt city that has become much better over the past 20 years.

I never said Atlanta was International but i Know there are lot of visitors from all over the world visiting here for Conventions and what Not i know Atlanta is like hong Kong SYDney etc I think those places Are way better than NYC you ask me.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Also, FYI, Atlanta has more sprawl than Charlotte. Charlotte is the least sprawled huge metro region in NC. Meaning Triad and Triangle are experiencing more sprawl. Just wanted to point those out.

Ok what else because that seems to be the very thing everyone says sprawl sprawl who cares LA has it phenoix etc so whats next
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte