U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2010, 04:40 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,995,021 times
Reputation: 4402

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
What you are describing is herd mentality and yes the advertising was very effective in that regard. However I don't deny your right to believe in whatever you like so you have no argument from me on this one.
you don't deny my right to believe? well, that's real swell of you. and try not to utter any populist or trademarked phrases/names today... we'd all hate for you to join the herd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 AM
 
604 posts, read 1,131,984 times
Reputation: 214
Uptown - Home to Charlotte - place of many tax dollar consuming turds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 AM
 
4,010 posts, read 8,929,345 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
you don't deny my right to believe? well, that's real swell of you. ....
Yes it was quite nice on my part expecially considering that you didn't offer the same consideration to me. I simply stated my opinion on the matter, in this topic of opinions, which for some reason riled you up enough to make a post here calling the thought "absurd" and so forth and so on. Next time, try keeping your side of the street clean and the rest will take care of itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 10:32 AM
 
716 posts, read 1,358,424 times
Reputation: 268
I have always called Charlottes so called uptown "Downtown" I think as more people move here the name uptown will soon perish and the new Downtown will soon take hold!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:45 PM
 
339 posts, read 624,679 times
Reputation: 184
I always called the city downtown. I guess if we have a downtown as big as Manhattan we can start naming things uptown and downtown. Personally, I refuse to say uptown, but to each their own. Whatever floats your boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 PM
 
32 posts, read 48,817 times
Reputation: 18
Because all the Yankees moved down here & decided we needed some "class"....you can tell an oldtime Charlottean because they still always say downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,352 posts, read 4,027,713 times
Reputation: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Throw NoDa and South End on that woodpile too.
I find the monikers "NoDa" and "South End" helpful when I'm talking about those areas. Yes, they rebranded - because they were rebuilt from long-forgotten, discarded areas into pretty exciting parts of town. Would "You know, out there at N. Davidson & 36th" make better sense than NoDa? Just because it's a newer name doesn't make it unworthy. You say "NoDa" or "South End", people know exactly what you mean.

I did think it was silly when Central Ave. Partners were wanting to rename Plaza & Central; Plaza-Midwood works just fine, for the neighborhood and the business area. They were trying to get people to use "PlaCe". Um, not. The difference is that the area already HAS a name, that people know and identify with. The other areas were abandoned, they needed something to help identify them. I think it's worked really well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
983 posts, read 1,362,219 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roe View Post
Uptown - Home to Charlotte - place of many tax dollar consuming turds!
And home of plenty of the companies that feed the inhabitants of low tax counties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
533 posts, read 1,638,328 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfox74 View Post
Because all the Yankees moved down here & decided we needed some "class"....you can tell an oldtime Charlottean because they still always say downtown.
yankee here. i have always referred to it as downtown. so have all my yankee friends. so does my native bf. i don't think i know anyone that calls it uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 07:04 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 8,929,345 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
.. Would "You know, out there at N. Davidson & 36th" make better sense than NoDa? Just because it's a newer name doesn't make it unworthy.....
Actually the historic name for this area is "North Charlotte". It's on every city planning map where you won't find these names. NoDa is a juvenile corruption of North Davidson (St.)

Last edited by lumbollo; 08-19-2010 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top