Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:36 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
. . . not trying to be the voice of doom and gloom . . . but let's not be unrealistic about what is going on in this city. This is the time to be innovative and figure out how to create new streams of revenue, find additional training in a different field, make lifestyle changes to accommodate loss of salary, etc. These are very tough decisions and without financing to cushion transitions during job loss, it can be a devastating situation. So minimizing the effect the job loss has had (and will continue to have) in our region is akin to playing Pollyanna. Yes, we all must stay focused on moving ahead and be supportive to one another, but at the same time . . . people are suffering and we should not minimize their distress or try to whitewash it w/ platitudes.
Very nicely said.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times
The Charlotte Chamber has a list of recent expansions and relocations...

Charlotte Chamber - Recent Relocations & Expansions

Charlotte has had a very low office vacancy rate for quite awhile. We have had a very tight office market and without significant office space to show, it can be hard to attract new, larger companies here. Unlike Atlanta, which has a lot of speculative office space being built, Charlotte has been very cautious. We are obviously going to see the office vacancy rate increase this year and this will have short term effects. I think in the long run, it will allow the city to attract new companies and diversify our economy.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:52 PM

45 posts, read 178,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Chef, you are misinformed about the whole privatization plan (probably due to what you heard from the media).

Bush's plan was to privatize a minimal portion (around 5%) of YOUNG workers SS if they CHOSE too. It had NOTHING to do w/older workers SS (contrary to what senators had to say in the media).

This would've been a great idea, because (over 30 yrs +) I believe I would be able to achieve a higher rate of return than what Govco does for me. (Hence they think I'm too dumb to invest my own money).

If you didn't want to invest the 5%, you wouldn't of been forced too.

See how the spin makes people uninformed???? When you get down to the actual details, its actually a good idea. But, it'll get shelved now because many act irrational and don't want to be informed about the actual details.

Sorry to the OP for going OT, now back to your regularly scheduled broadcasting...
As a retired person who lost money from my IRA and 403b mutual fund accounts when the stock market started sliding (starting in 2001), I'm glad I can get monthly deposits from Social Security and my state pension fund. After the market started up again, I was happy; however, I switched both of those accounts to money market accounts this past summer. Making 1-3% is better than getting those quarterly reports that showed losses of several thousand dollars.

I understood Bush's plan and hoped that no one I knew would participate. A bird in hand..... Of course, the older one gets, the less likely one will take risks. Since I'm already retired, I can't afford a roller coaster ride in the stock market. If I were 30 and had time to recoup my losses, I might gamble on the stock market. Since I'm a 65-year-old widow, I want to manage my money so I will have money till I die.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte