Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 08:11 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,834,614 times

Advertisements

[quote=Carolina_native]
The NASCAR wannabe thing irks me as well. People come here to "NASCAR Country" and think they should start watching it because its apparently the thing to do.

quote]

Why does the NASCAR thing bother you? I think it might be a way for newcomers to ease their way into their new identities.
I know up here people talk about sports teams as a non-offensive way to establish rapport with strangers.
I find that many people sart rooting for a team when it becomes more successful... fair weather fans.
So those Johnny come latelys are not just transplants, it is to be expected in the world of fan-dom, where being part of the fan group is as easy as declaring oneself a member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2006, 10:02 PM
gmb

45 posts, read 288,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
No I don’t find it odd at all. I think someone who is already there should know what problems exist. One persons concept of “rosy picture” is not necessarily another’s either.
Most people defending it laugh when locals say it’s getting overcrowded. They have seen what overcrowded really is and can be, and believe me you have no concept of what overcrowded really is.
Well said! I almost spit out my drink of water when I read someone post that "CA's roads are built for their growth." I feel and understand the pain native NC people are experiencing because I have stopped going to numerous places I grew up enjoying that have now become a nightmare with people playing horrible Mexican music full blast, trash, graffiti, drinking and throwing their beer bottles in the water, etc. I can't believe how some people treat nature. I hope the growth in NC never gets so bad that you find graffiti on trees and rocks.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:06 PM
gmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
You will be asking yourself the same question here in a few years. Its just a vicious cycle I guess. Overcrowd and over tax one area then its off to the next one. Its the same logic on illegal aliens. Fix your own problems where youre at, dont bring them here with you.
It is kind of hard when the problems you are experiencing in your home state can't be fixed unless you are independently wealthy. America has 50 states and we are free to live in any of those states as American citizens.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:17 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,448,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb
It is kind of hard when the problems you are experiencing in your home state can't be fixed unless you are independently wealthy. America has 50 states and we are free to live in any of those states as American citizens.
apparently you're free to even if you aren't an american citizen.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:22 PM
gmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous
apparently you're free to even if you aren't an american citizen.
What I am tired of is feeling like I am invading a state like the illegal people are to America. Many of us are American citizens simply wanting to relocate to another state in the country where we were born.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:25 PM

27 posts, read 137,831 times
gmb, i know how you feel. Sometimes i completely regret selling my house and heading to NC. I feel like a sheep following the herd.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:58 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,834,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel
If it were only true that the residents could decide when the area is built out. Sad truth is, Huntersville is built out. Now they are taking down the forest and building on the farmland there, which is ruining the rural feel of the community.

It seems to me the new residents couldnt care less what is built and where. As long as its a new shopping center then its seems like they say, go for it.

Mooresville still has land to build on, and I predict Mooresville will expand to Catawba county on its west side soon.
You decide when you vote.

That is why I say, be vigilant.
Vote for people who are not in the developer's pockets

Old 01-07-2007, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,237 times
Default Birkdale Village being built in Cary NC

Help. Crosland is intending on building a TND at the intersection of Davis Drive and Highhouse Road in Cary.

This is already a high traffic area.

Can people comment on what information and lessons learned about Birkdale can be communicated to the town Council?

Old 01-08-2007, 01:21 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,806,635 times
Just makesure the roads can handle the people they would like to be there. Its actually a nice place IMO.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:55 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,305,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedrobin View Post
Help. Crosland is intending on building a TND at the intersection of Davis Drive and Highhouse Road in Cary.

This is already a high traffic area.

Can people comment on what information and lessons learned about Birkdale can be communicated to the town Council?
Try a Birkdale-like village at I-77N, exit 45......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte