U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:16 AM

27 posts, read 71,239 times

Advertisements

Alrighty, I have two questions.

First, where is a good place to look for good quality professional business suits for women in thier mid to late twenties? I am not looking to spend thousands of dollars here, but I am prepared to invest for a good three piece set-up(pencil skirt, pants, and jacket).

Next, I am a full time college student with a full time waitressing gig. I am looking to find an internship(even unpaid)/job shadowing position for a few hours a week for the coming months. Gotta get the experience to get that job, right? I am interested in the consulting, financial management, or non-profit management fields. Does anyone have any ideas about companies that have taken on these type of interests in the past? I am still in the early phases of my studies, and I intend on finding a formal internship or two in the future. Any advice would be amazing.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 04:32 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
Don't know about the internships....they might be a little hard to come by right now...but, for decent suits, try Dress Barn. I have also found some great deals at Ross.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:33 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,556,376 times
Macy's - got a Tahari suit once;
Talbot's near the Carolina Place Mall. I think they even carry petites
Kasper at the Concord Mills Outlet Mall about $100
Petite Sophisticates - separates available also at Concord

Old 01-08-2009, 06:05 AM

677 posts, read 2,013,383 times
Do you go to UNCC?

Their career center will help you out tremendously in finding an internship or co-op. They were my new best friends when I was there.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:22 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,858,372 times
How about Ann Taylor or Ann Taylor Loft for a nice suit? I love their clothes, but have difficulty finding things there that fit me well (odd body type).

If you are interested in non-profits, have you looked at Idealist (dot) com? I believe they post internships there.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:52 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,066,620 times
Banana Republic and White House Black Market have nice suits, pencil skirts and blouses/tops.

I would definately try to go through your school regarding the internship. My former place of business had interns each semester, they received school credit and our business would only deal with the schools not the individual.

Good Luck!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:59 AM

769 posts, read 1,980,281 times
Have you looked on Craig's List? I haven't seen too many of them, but they do show up there from time to time. If you are looking for a "true" internship, with credits, then you definitely need to go through your school. If you're just looking for "face" time - or maybe in your case "follow" would be more appropriate and don't care if you get credit, then you can be more flexible in sources. Do you know anyone who works in those fields? Talk to your teachers and see if they have any leads. Hands on Charlotte has been posting for a quite a while that they need office help - go volunteer for a while and I expect you can "shadow" a lot.

Also look online - my daughter just started a "virtual" internship with a magazine based in New York. You might not get as much experience as if you were actually in a place of business, but this type is allowing my daughter a lot more flexibility for her writing and her full time job.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 AM

769 posts, read 1,980,281 times
Sorry, I just realized that I was assuming that you know what Hands on Charlotte is. It is a non-profit organization that organizes volunteer events around the metro area. They have a very flexible system in that you can just sign up for those events/dates that work for you - you aren't locked into a long term commitment (unless you sign up to be a project coordinator).

Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM

19,813 posts, read 55,771,747 times
When I was in the corporate world, I bought a lot of clothes at Talbot's. They carry classic styles and colors. You could also find a sweater vest or casual top to go with the suit. They tend to carry the same colors for several years. I sometimes matched pieces that were years apart. Once you know your size in their clothes, you can order online - also sales online - very convenient. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 PM

27 posts, read 71,239 times
Thanks for all of the replies. Especially the shopping pointers

I am not looking for a credit bearing internship at this time. I am just at CPCC right now, and I will look for a formal credit earning internship when I transfer to UNCC. I am just looking for something that will give me some experience besides bartending and waiting tables (which I have done for about 8 years now) which will help me with getting a more competitive intern position later. CPCC is not really doing a super job of helping me with any placement...

I will check out Hands on Charlotte as well as some of the websites suggested. I would hope that even in these icky economic times someone would give me some type of opportunity at no cost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte