U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:09 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times

Advertisements

Here is an example of how DH and hunker down but don't feel we are missing out on a thing.

We just ate a lovely dinner - fettucine w/ scallops and a nice glass of Pinot Grigio, garlic bread and asparagus (canned - wh/ I happen to like very much).

Cheap and easy. Two Stouffer's fettucines - $1.70/ea. Half a bag of scallops, purchased several weeks ago (frozen) - Buy one, Get one. Sear scallops in butter and add a bit of the Pinot Grigio, lemon grass and chives. Bought Pinot on sale at CVS in Orlando last week - 3/$10. Garlic Bread - Texas Toast, buy one, get one a few weeks back (frozen). Asparagus - on sale and in pantry.

That cheap Pinot is actually pretty good - just let it breathe a bit.

Serve on fine china, pour wine into crystal and use linen napkins. Nice music in the background. We just had a cheap, quick, easy, hardly-any-clean up dinner . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 03:10 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,347,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was out of jelly the other day I honker down and used butter instead with my peanut butter. They blend together so well
If you had the Sunday newspaper from last weekend the red plum coupon section had a Q for $.55/2 Smuckers Grape 32 oz.... Makes each jar $.45 @ Harris Teeter...It will be that way till wed. when they change sales.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
If you had the Sunday newspaper from last weekend the red plum coupon section had a Q for $.55/2 Smuckers Grape 32 oz.... Makes each jar $.45 @ Harris Teeter...It will be that way till wed. when they change sales.
LOVE those coupons, Jon!!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 03:14 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,668,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It seems there has been a huge increase in coupon use. I noticed the Sunday papers going quicker lately also.
bigJon - Coupon use is like "found money"! But that is true only as long as you buy things with them that you actually need or use. I've known some "Coupon Queens" that end up buying things they don't really need, but they got them for a good price!

Old 01-11-2009, 03:17 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,347,414 times
Walked out with 20 boxes of special K for $16...... I'll eat it one day in the two years it's good for... Hunkering down for nuclear winter forget the financial crisis

Old 01-11-2009, 03:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,770 times
Sales are off 40% at my business and I had to do a few layoffs last week.
First time in 15 years or so and I always hate doing it - just awful.
One consolation was I let the people with Obama stickers go first.
I'm not joking...

I've grown a business with my blood sweat and tears (usually 60+ hrs/wk) that my father originally started, and I just have to take care of my own family first.
People thinking that Obama will pay for their gas and mortgage are about to find out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

Last edited by mullman; 01-11-2009 at 04:32 PM..

Old 01-11-2009, 03:37 PM

Oh, Mullman, I am so sorry to hear this. I know how much pride you have taken in growing your business.

No one is gonna take care of anything for any of us, LOL. Well, I guess those on gubment handouts will continue getting their handouts, wh/ is pretty sad, but what can I say. Not knocking people in temporary need (we all have had tough times) or the disabled, elderly, etc. Just saying . . . so many people have this 'gimme' attitude . . . someone owes them something . . .

The wise amongst us are counting pennies and being innovative about how we live our lives. As Em said - we don't have to turn into monks - but we can figure out smart ways to save money (and wise ways of spending it, as well).

I fear that small businesses all over this country are going to be facing very lean times . . . wh/ is going to include layoffs. I know this distressed you to have to lay people off, Mullman, but things will eventually turn around. We have to just figure out how to hang on until then . . .

Old 01-11-2009, 04:08 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,556,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Serve on fine china, pour wine into crystal and use linen napkins. Nice music in the background. We just had a cheap, quick, easy, hardly-any-clean up dinner . . .
And WHY wasn't I invited, hmmmmm???

Been hunkering down for a while...no new and bigger TV, no wall unit, no landscaping, no closet organizers, no capital investment (meaning no purchases over $2000). Reduced eating out once a month. In the midst of a refi to reduce our mortgage by $200. Buying groceries at BOGO free sales. Both cars paid off (Civic and Odyssey). Clothes buying only last holidays at deep discounts and only when needed (kids grow unfortunately!). Bringing lunch to work or keeping lunch under $5.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:26 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,535,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Sales are off 40% at my business and I had to do a few layoffs last week.
First time in 15 years or so and I always hate doing it - just awful.
One consolation was I let the people with Obama stickers go first.
I'm not joking...

I've grown a business with my blood sweat and tears (usually 60+ hrs/wk) that my father originally started, and I just have to take care of my own family first.
People thinking that Obama will pay for their gas and mortgage are about to find out.

Leaving Facebook... | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=32739651593&h=ITUyX&u=DiK7Q - broken link)

Why would you lay people off based on their political affiliation? What an odd way to decide who and who not to lay off.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:29 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Why would you lay people off based on their political affiliation? What an odd way to decide who and who not to lay off.
When I hear them talking in the cafeteria that Obama will pay their mortgage and fuel costs (based on evening news footage) it makes it easier to decide. I had to make a decision between people quick to look for a handout, and those eager enough to do what it takes to take care of their family (thus continuing to pay into the system which benefits all).

Judge me if you will, and I am sure you will....

Last edited by mullman; 01-11-2009 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or