Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Why would you lay people off based on their political affiliation? What an odd way to decide who and who not to lay off.
He was just throwing that out there in describing his dismay w/ what he considers to be the liberal attitude (hand out mentality) that so many of Obama's supporters have had. Mullman often writes in a rather metaphorical manner, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 PM

I have heard a lot of people say that they were assuming Obama would provide them with free healthcare. I never heard Obama himself say that!!!! In fact, I just heard our Prez-elect talk w/ George Stephanopolous (sp) and he said that w/ this economy, there were programs that were going to have to be CUT BACK . . . so I think he is not the liberal many of us assumed he was . . . and certainly not the Good Fairy that some of his supporters mistook him for.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:50 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
When I hear them talking in the cafeteria that Obama will pay their mortgage and fuel costs (based on evening news footage) it makes it easier to decide. I had to decide between people quick to look for a handout, and those eager enough to do what it takes to take care of their family (thus continuing to pay into the system which benefits all).

Judge me if you will, and I am sure you will....
I guess if you felt that their performance goes hand in hand, it would make sense. Not really judging sorry if it came out that way, just was curious.

I'm not an Obama fan, but I do think it's ludicrous that people actually think that and that your employees said things like that.
I don't know why people feel the government should save us, I'd much prefer less government in our lives and be self sufficient. Bigger gov't means a dependency on a system that isn't for our best interests. It just serves the elite and I guess for ppl who are lazy too.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
I guess if you felt that their performance goes hand in hand, it would make sense. Not really judging sorry if it came out that way, just was curious.

I'm not an Obama fan, but I do think it's ludicrous that people actually think that and that your employees said things like that.
I don't know why people feel the government should save us, I'd much prefer less government in our lives and be self sufficient. Bigger gov't means a dependency on a system that isn't for our best interests. It just serves the elite and I guess for ppl who are lazy too.
We are the government. It's up to us to save ourselves!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:

I think a lot of us in this area of the state have Libertarian leanings. I agree - don't want the gov't trying to save us (and don't want to have to pay so much out of my paycheck to taxes to support entitlement programs, either).

What concerns me is . . . w/ all this bailout money going to various business sectors . . . looks like "nationalization" . . . I don't know. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have heard a lot of people say that they were assuming Obama would provide them with free healthcare. I never heard Obama himself say that!!!! In fact, I just heard our Prez-elect talk w/ George Stephanopolous (sp) and he said that w/ this economy, there were programs that were going to have to be CUT BACK . . . so I think he is not the liberal many of us assumed he was . . . and certainly not the Good Fairy that some of his supporters mistook him for.
Lol at Good Fairy. The next 4 years will be interesting. Hopefully it won't be too scary.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:58 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
What concerns me is . . . w/ all this bailout money going to various business sectors . . . looks like "nationalization" . . . I don't know. Just doesn't seem right to me.
Now, now Ani you'll have a place in the new NAU.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:58 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Sales are off 40% at my business and I had to do a few layoffs last week.
First time in 15 years or so and I always hate doing it - just awful.
One consolation was I let the people with Obama stickers go first.
I'm not joking...

I've grown a business with my blood sweat and tears (usually 60+ hrs/wk) that my father originally started, and I just have to take care of my own family first.
People thinking that Obama will pay for their gas and mortgage are about to find out.

YouTube - Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!!
Given the emotional state you must be in regarding keeping a generational business going, making hard decisions every day, I won't comment on this post in the way I normally would.

The only thing I'll say is that I hope things turn around for you and your business.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of us in this area of the state have Libertarian leanings. I agree - don't want the gov't trying to save us (and don't want to have to pay so much out of my paycheck to taxes to support entitlement programs, either).

Agree about nationalization. A select few having control and power over everything. Especially our money.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Agree about nationalization. A select few having control and power over everything. Especially our money.
ESPECIALLY our money! Gosh, when the treasury is printing money like crazy . . . and unemployment is rising . . . and everyone is looking for a bail out . . . it is very scary. Too many huge decisions in the hands of too few people . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte