U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:41 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,836,900 times

Advertisements

After having to go back down to Miami due to a family emergency, I realize how much I miss Publix. Is there any more news on if one is coming up this way??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:42 AM

236 posts, read 614,387 times
You can move to ATL...plenty of Publix there.

It's hard to imagine Publix coming up here given the stranglehold that HT has the grocery market in Charlotte. The only thing I can imagine that would facilitate an expansion to Charlotte would be to acquire a Lowe's Foods or something of the sort to allow them to acquire sites in great locations...

Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 PM

21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times
My suggestion, for the time being, is to invest in several of the zipper closure thermal bags at Trader Joe's & some freezer packs & go, occasionally, to the nearest Publix & stock up. You might want to check Ingles as well.

I know that this will work for you because I have done it myself. I have had frozen food in those thermal bags with freezer packs for several hours & the food was still frozen solid. This includes 90 degree+ weather.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:14 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,836,900 times
Well I know after searching through the threads there's one in Spartsanberg SC but thats 90 miles away. I guess I'll just have to settle for care packages although I don't think the Publix vanilla cake will last

Old 01-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Well I know after searching through the threads there's one in Spartsanberg SC but thats 90 miles away. I guess I'll just have to settle for care packages although I don't think the Publix vanilla cake will last
Try the thermal bag trick. I used to buy frozen stuff in Delaware & then finish my trek to various stores & then drive back to South Jersey. You should not have a problem. Try coming out to the Ingles in Kings Mountain to try the bakery products. They were compared favorably to Publix in another thread. Yes it's a haul for you, but it's far closer than Florida. If you do a stock-up when you go to the far-flung stores it can be worth it for you.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,165,894 times
If you get your Publix, I want my Shop Rite!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
If you get your Publix, I want my Shop Rite!
Well, I prefer Pathmark to Shop Rite, but honestly, I'm happy with Ingles. The few things that I can't get here isn't worth quibbling about.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 PM

409 posts, read 988,776 times
I lived in Florida for 20 years, and in Ingles-land for the past 7 years. Ingles is not a bad store, and some are actually very good, but they fall short of Publix in a couple of significant areas - 1. Bakery. Ingles makes decent cakes, but their breads don't come anywhere close to the excellent bread Publix makes. Publix also has a much better selection of other baked goods than Ingles does. 2. Deli. No contest there. Not even close. 3. Customer service. Harris-Teeter and Lowe's foods are the closest thing to a Publix in these parts, but are significantly more expensive (Ingles pricing is more like Publix). And, unfortunately Publix has no plans to come to the Charlotte area any time soon. I've been watching this closely since we moved up here.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:16 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,728,509 times
Funny...I was just talking to my neighbor yesterday evening about Publix. I do miss them for the subs and Publix brand stuff (best store brand products, ever).

I will admit though, I think it would be a potentially lethal strain on them to put a store all by it's lonesome up here. Unless they did a blitzkreig style assault on Charlotte with 5-10 stores at once to make supply routes more feasible than one or two stores...I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:21 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,126,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Funny...I was just talking to my neighbor yesterday evening about Publix. I do miss them for the subs and Publix brand stuff (best store brand products, ever).

I will admit though, I think it would be a potentially lethal strain on them to put a store all by it's lonesome up here. Unless they did a blitzkreig style assault on Charlotte with 5-10 stores at once to make supply routes more feasible than one or two stores...I don't see it happening anytime soon.
I totally agree with you, Metalllisteve - Publix does have the best store brands, by far.

The "blitzkreig style assualt" you describe is exactly what HT did here a couple of years ago. Sadly, it still wasn't enough. Kroger was particularly ruthless with them, and ended up buying most of their locations just to promptly shutter most of them.

I miss Harris Teeter, they are a great store. I am very thankful to have Publix here duking it out with Kroger (not much of a fan of Krogerl).

Just curious - do you guys have Trader Joe's yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte