U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 AM

10,268 posts, read 10,824,413 times
Mike I understand what you are saying but this cop didn't even approach the intersection in a cautious matter. He completely flew out. Trust me if there was that much of an emergency, he wouldn't have sat in that line for the mall that was 6 cars deep like nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 AM

The police chief emailed me back and said it was one of his. He said its being investigated and will get back to me. Let's see..

Old 01-15-2009, 08:02 AM

21,815 posts, read 38,366,942 times
I have a feeling it will be investigated but kept under the table since no accident occured that just my gut feeling but admirable that he did mention it was one of his. Hopefully you will not run into this situation again

Old 01-15-2009, 10:11 AM

72 posts, read 133,148 times
Good for the Chief for owning up to it!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:25 PM

454 posts, read 1,555,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I emailed the chief of Concord Police. Hopefully I'll be able to figure this out with his help.
Merl whatever his last name is? If this is who you emailed, he will get back with you. I emailed him about a concern when we lived in Concord and he invited me to come into his office and look over some crime stats from my neighborhood. (I wasn't able to go, and the answer he gave me was sufficient for what I was worried about, but he let me know he'd be happy to discuss it more in depth with me, it was related to something that had happened just outside of my neighborhood).

Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 PM

Yes, Merl whatever. I will keep you all posted on what happens.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:55 PM

1,312 posts, read 3,002,579 times
I haven't posted on this thread before, but I've been watching to see what comes of it. Thanks for the update, himain, and do come back when you hear back from the chief.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:32 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,481,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Your assuming it was for no reason. It is quite possible that if they did have a 911 call or other call for assistance, that the dispatcher or other officers called off the other cars responding. Maybe that's why he turned off his lights and drove normally after getting off highway.

Certain 911 calls require the use of lights and sirens, others do not. For instance, if they got a call for a burglary, they would use there lights and sirens to get to the scene quickly. However, as they get closer, they shut down the lights and sirens as to not spook the criminals, in order to try and catch them before they flee.

If it's a call for a robbery or assault, they would keep the lights and sirens going, in hopes that the criminal will stop there actions to prevent injury or further injury to a victim ASAP.

I'am not defending them for driving, in what you call a reckless matter. I'm merely stating that just because they shut the lights off, does not mean they had them on for no good reason to begin with.
I completely agree. The officer could have been on his way to a emergency call but got canceled...perhaps a citizen failed to yield to a emergency vehicle and the officer had to take evasive action? We should all remember there are two sides to every story.

Seriously...do you think the officer was trying to get to the mall to go shopping or something? Do you not believe he/she was responding to an emergency?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 PM

I do not believe he was heading to an emergency. No citizen was in his path. He had a clear lane off 85 and just completely flew out. My brother is a firefighter. I've dated cops numerous times. This was completely uncalled for. Again, IF it was such an emergency, then he would have went around the other cars waiting in line for the mall and just gone in. And as for the call getting canceled, I highly doubt it. After he almost hit us that's when he turned his lights off. I'm talking not even 5 seconds that this occurred.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:02 PM

1,367 posts, read 3,465,977 times
Whether it was an emergency or not is irrelevant, either way his first priority should be to avoid causing a new emergency and hurting bystanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte