U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 19,160 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just moved to NC from WA state back in June. To make matters more confusing, the state I work in is SC. I have a fairly high income this year (over $80k) and I am getting about $600 back from federal. But, for some reason Turbotax shows that I owe $6,000 to NC!!!! I let Turbotax import all my data from my employer, and I am no good at taxes, so I am trusting the program to do what its supposed to do.

Can anyone explain this to me? That concerns me for next year. Since I owe so much tax to NC, I can't imagine what it will be like next year. They don't seem to be getting any tax from me so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 01:09 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,146,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpartdq View Post
Hi all,

I just moved to NC from WA state back in June. To make matters more confusing, the state I work in is SC. I have a fairly high income this year (over $80k) and I am getting about $600 back from federal. But, for some reason Turbotax shows that I owe $6,000 to NC!!!! I let Turbotax import all my data from my employer, and I am no good at taxes, so I am trusting the program to do what its supposed to do.

Can anyone explain this to me? That concerns me for next year. Since I owe so much tax to NC, I can't imagine what it will be like next year. They don't seem to be getting any tax from me so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Samething happened to me the 1st year I moved to NC.
One of the problems you may have is your employer is taking out SC % in your payroll taxes. SC taxes are much less than NC. Since you have to ultimately file in the state you LIVE in, you have paid under the amount due.
Check with your employer or look at your stub and see if this is not the case.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:11 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,726,557 times
It is likely you were filed wrong on your W-4. For instance, you could have been filed as "withhold $0" or something. My wife was filed wrong last year, but in the better direction (we got money back from the state). In fact, I'm filed as single for state. I don't know how it got like that, as I certainly didn't put it like that. Since I'm relatively new to the state and the state tax thing (moved from FL, no state tax), I get the feeling that this may be fairly common to screw up the filing status for state income tax.

Then again, TurboTax could be wrong too. I use their services too, but never import electronically. I don't trust it. It might be worth your while to manually enter it. Remember that the state nor the feds don't give you a courtesy review and let you know you overpaid...although, they will do it or the other reason (owing). My point being, don't just pay it thinking they'll give back any overpaid amount. Not gonna happen.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 19,160 times
Aha!!! I figured out what I did wrong. It says to file nonresident returns first. Well, I did the NC one first then the nonresident ones. Now I only owe about $500 in tax to NC. Much better! Thanks for the info all. I need to slow down and go more carefully next time.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
im glad it worked out pay attention to those things its asking you to deduct They do help in the fed returns and in the state... not so much.
good luck . I would do it three times if I was you since you are getting various results

Old 01-11-2009, 01:54 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,670,208 times
I think that one of the surprises to high-income earners in NC, is what a big bite NC state income takes. Being from NJ, where you get slaughtered by "property taxes", it comes as a shock to many newcomers just how high NC state income taxes are. The tax tables extract a much higher percentage of income at a lower income level than many states. For higher-income workers, what you may save on property taxes may be offset by what you end up paying in state income tax! It can come as a rude awakening for those who don't give much thought to that W-4!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:56 PM

19,815 posts, read 55,790,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
.......... Remember that the state nor the feds don't give you a courtesy review and let you know you overpaid...although, they will do it or the other reason (owing). My point being, don't just pay it thinking they'll give back any overpaid amount. Not gonna happen.
Well, out of the blue I just got back $485 for my 2005 taxes, from my state. I'm not asking why.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:08 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Well, out of the blue I just got back $485 for my 2005 taxes, from my state. I'm not asking why.
We never heard a thing...

Old 01-11-2009, 03:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,035,328 times
NC loves your money...
It takes quite a bit of cash to run school buses 100,000 miles (CLT Observer) for the Char-Meck schools everyday.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:16 PM

124 posts, read 322,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It might not hurt to check it out . One year they sent me a check in error and eventually they came back after it and even tho it was their error they threatened
me and demanded it back and said if it happened again they would penalize ME and
I would be audited from now on. Luckily I had never cashed it. They never admit to their errors. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte