U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,407,197 times

Advertisements

I see your point and lord Im no different than any other members except as a mod I just enforce the tos that is it. My opinions are just that opinions like everyone elses that post on city-data.

Anyways.. Yes it good for the citizens of the area to be aware of the possibilities that another city can use the power of domain and annex unincorporated areas for that city benefit. I thought annexation of other cities was something my forefathers experienced but I watch nice little rural towns had to choose to become incorporated or annexed. Towns like Midway became incorporated as recently 2004-2006 to prevent Winston Salem from annexing this town , Parts of Wallburg was being eaten up by Winston Salem and they had to incorporate. Horneytown was totally gobblled up by High Point loosing alot of it character to development.

This could be look at several ways positive and negative.
Good for Denver residents as they would have more say so in area progression if they was annexed.
They could provide basics for the citizens like mention above trash, recyling, sewage , police, fire.
Right now they rely on Lincoln County sheriff department and lets say there an armed robbery in Denver and the officers are needed are in Vale that a good hour from one end of the county to the other.
Im not trying to be alarmist just a realist that this has happen in last several years to nearby towns and it could happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,700,427 times
Charlotte is not going to annex Denver. This speculation is preposterous.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:49 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,718,278 times
I believe since every common Joe citizen (dare I say everyone) seems to think the fact that cities can pretty much annex at-will in our state, there needs to be a change. As I've stated in other similar threads, Florida does not allow the aggressive near-bully style annexing we see here. The parcels to be annexed must have an accompanying paper from the owner saying "please annex me." Now, the down side is the fact that some folks just don't want to ever be annexed, even if they're surrounded by city limits. This creates a jagged and uneven city limit border, and in some older cases, a complete "enclave" of no man's land in the middle of a city. Oviedo, one of my former cities, had two or three of these holes in it's limits. Nevermind the ugliness on a map, the real problems lies with services coverage. In counties where there is still an effective sheriff's department, you'd get city cops showing up at a call from a house that had city neighbors, but they hadn't annexed...the cops would stand around waiting for the county cops to show up (as long as something life threatening wasn't going on).

So a balance between the two needs to be struck. If you're surrounded, you need to give up...you're creating a nuisance. If you're far away and your neighbors don't want it, you should be able to say no and be left alone.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,184,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Charlotte is not going to annex Denver. This speculation is preposterous.
I tend to agree. Denver doesn't really fit the qualifications for annexation.

Annexation - FAQ (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planning/Annexation/Annexation%20-%20FAQ.htm - broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 06:15 AM

Intersting FAQ
where do you look for the map of "spheres of influence" mention in that FAQ

I would like to see this for all municipalities

Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,041,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Key operative words in the first post
Yes but the title of the post is "Charlotte To Annex Denver". The To in the title indicated to me that annexation is imminent.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:44 PM

59 posts, read 120,771 times
I would welcome it !

Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,700,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Intersting FAQ
where do you look for the map of "spheres of influence" mention in that FAQ

I would like to see this for all municipalities

The spheres of influence are also the extra-territorial planning and zoning jurisdictions, or ETJs.

Denver is off the map, to the upper left in Lincoln County (in gray).

Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,298,720 times
Heck, if we're goin annexin, I'd like to pick up Harrisburg, Tega Cay and the rural half of Union County!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
The spheres of influence are also the extra-territorial planning and zoning jurisdictions, or ETJs.

Denver is off the map, to the upper left in Lincoln County (in gray).
thanks that the map I was looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or