U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:26 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Reputation: 22369

Advertisements

With all the talk about home sales . . . just wondering what you see when you look around your neighborhood.

See any houses for sale? If so, have they been sitting a while? If they have been sitting, do you think it is b/c they are over-priced? Or just no buyers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
With all the talk about home sales . . . just wondering what you see when you look around your neighborhood.

See any houses for sale? If so, have they been sitting a while? If they have been sitting, do you think it is b/c they are over-priced? Or just no buyers?
Ani, my neighborhood currently has 11 homes for sale (in a neighborhood of 500+ homes). Two have been on the market since last summer - but the price of them is too high considering they have not been updated. You just are NOT going to get top dollar folks if you leave that 1980's mauve colored carpeting in the living room!! One of the 11 went under contract this weekend - was on the market about 3 months. There are obviously some buyers out there looking

Last edited by lovesMountains; 01-13-2009 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,637,402 times
Reputation: 3689
Here in Brandon Oaks (Indian Trail, Union County) we have a potpourri in Real Estate.....several foreclosures, some short sales, FSBO's, rent (lease) to owns, many homes sitting (traditional realtors), & a developer who left the subdivision....(Ryan)....take your pick....



Its a combination of several things...mainly fear in the markets (fear of job security), not enough qualified buyers, unrealistic sellers who are too emotional to price correctly, off peak time to buy a house, & a plethora of inventory...those are some reasons off the top of my head...

Not unexpected, we are like many other developments in Union, Gaston, etc....

I would tend to think the closer you get to Uptown, there is still great pain, however not as bad as out here.....just my .02

I don't know the exact number of homes (including FSBO's) off the top of my head, but maybe a realtor knows..

Last edited by CouponJack; 01-13-2009 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ani, my neighborhood currently has 11 homes for sale (in a neighborhood of 200 homes). Two have been on the market since last summer - but the price of them is too high considering they have not been updated. You just are NOT going to get top dollar folks if you leave that 1980's mauve colored carpeting in the living room!! One of the 11 went under contract this weekend - was on the market about 3 months. There are obviously some buyers out there looking
Oh. Somebody didn't get the mauve-is-so-80s memo . . .

Yeah . . . I agree . . . replace carpet and for god's sake, get the wallpaper borders down . . . along w/ any wallpaper that is dated . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Here in Brandon Oaks (Indian Trail, Union County) we have a potpourri in Real Estate.....several foreclosures, some short sales, FSBO's, rent (lease) to owns, many homes sitting (traditional realtors), & a developer who left the subdivision....(Ryan)....take your pick....



Its a combination of several things...mainly fear in the markets (fear of job security), not enough qualified buyers, unrealistic sellers who are too emotional to price correctly, off peak time to buy a house, & a plethora of inventory...those are some reasons off the top of my head...

Not unexpected, we are like many other developments in Union, Gaston, etc....

I would tend to think the closer you get to Uptown, there is still great pain, however not as bad as out here.....just my .02
Sounds like a very realistic assessment of the situation, Jack (as usual!).

That is a great location, tho, and I am sure things are gonna rebound.

One for sale in my neighborhood and two for sale in the adjoining subdivision. The one in my neighborhood is priced well - I know the house - nice property and while I wouldn't say it is a steal - it is definitely priced well. In the other subdivision, one house would be a steal or at least - one couldn't go wrong - and the other is still not low enuff (needs some renovation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,928 posts, read 17,752,740 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sounds like a very realistic assessment of the situation, Jack (as usual!).

That is a great location, tho, and I am sure things are gonna rebound.

One for sale in my neighborhood and two for sale in the adjoining subdivision. The one in my neighborhood is priced well - I know the house - nice property and while I wouldn't say it is a steal - it is definitely priced well. In the other subdivision, one house would be a steal or at least - one couldn't go wrong - and the other is still not low enuff (needs some renovation).
here in Hunter Oaks we have 997 homes and 24 active...but most of them have been on the market longer than 7-8 months...the prices have come down quiet a bit...its a great sub division and location, I do know of a few of the homes have had offers recently however the people couldnt get a mortgage and were'nt putting alot down...

Let me add, there are quiet a few that are too high in price..

Last edited by Swimmom32; 01-13-2009 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 11:15 AM
 
2,560 posts, read 6,065,753 times
Reputation: 1062
We are in a small sub-division with only about 40 homes, 1 for sale now. Very nice inside and they put it up for sale in Oct I think.

Oh my gosh, don't even get me started on wallpaper! Thank goodness we only have boarders but still a bee otch to get off. I Nascarnancy vow to never, ever put up wall paper, ever!

I am however redoing our master right now, painted the walls and put chair rail up this last weekend. I am going to glaze 12" stripes below the chair rail so it will have a wallpaper effect and give the bottom more interest since it is the same color above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Harrisburg NC
120 posts, read 283,326 times
Reputation: 74
We have almost 500 homes in our subdivision, and there are 11 for sale. One is on our cul-de-sac and is WAY overpriced but they've only been trying to sell it for a few months so we'll see what happens. Another house I see is right on a corner and was up for sale for I'd say a year, I just saw today they now have a sign that it's now for rent.
The prices have fallen quite a bit here, we bought our home 2 years ago and I know that we'd never get what we paid for it now. But that's ok we don't need to or want to sell for atleast 5 years, and we never looked at our home like an investment, we'll be happy to get what we paid for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 AM
 
852 posts, read 2,214,328 times
Reputation: 314
I love wallpaper. It can tell a story. I have a 150 yr old home in London and when I was stripping down the walls about 10 years ago I took down about 5 layers of wallpaper, all different and it was fun just to see what the fashions were over the years. It was hard work but interesting. I have wallpaper in my dining room now and guess what I am going to paint over it. I know shame on me but it's lining my walls and will give a lovely smooth finish to my walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 11:32 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
We are in a small sub-division with only about 40 homes, 1 for sale now. Very nice inside and they put it up for sale in Oct I think.

Oh my gosh, don't even get me started on wallpaper! Thank goodness we only have boarders but still a bee otch to get off. I Nascarnancy vow to never, ever put up wall paper, ever!

I am however redoing our master right now, painted the walls and put chair rail up this last weekend. I am going to glaze 12" stripes below the chair rail so it will have a wallpaper effect and give the bottom more interest since it is the same color above.
Oh, Nancy - that really sounds neat. You go, girl!!!! Good design decisions!!!!

<and yes, those borders are hell to get off most of the time . . . >
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top