U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Information on Charlotte, North Carolina suburbs, good school districts, access to river water, golf courses, low crime rate neighborhoods, access to running trails and gym, Catholic schools

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Coulwood is a secret?
For newcomers, yes, I agree that it is

So many people have either heard from their friends already here or even on these threads to avoid west Charlotte that they don't realize west Charlotte and WEST OF Charlotte are not the same thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:46 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,023 times
Hmm..I guess you are right about newcomers. Although Coulwood is in western Charlotte. I think people associate "west Charlotte" with anything in Meck. county that is west of uptown. When in fact "west Charlotte" is a small area. And I also agree there are people who mistakenly believe that anything west of Charlotte is bad.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:55 PM

528 posts, read 1,329,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendGules View Post
Are you set on a Charlotte suburb or will you consider Charlotte itself? I think the best place to find all that you are looking for is in South Charlotte, in communities between Park Road and Randolph Rd. Possible developments include Huntingtowne Farms, Thornhill, Touchstone, and many more.

The Charlotte YMCA is fantastic and has several locations. The Catholic school system, MACS (Mecklenburg Area Catholic Schools) is excellent too, with St. Gabriel and St. Matthew Catholic schools both in South Charlotte.
Hi Bend. We are not set on a Charlotte suburb and are open to any suggestions. I suppose it was an assumption (bad, I know) on my part that being so close to the city would not be a good thing (crime) as well as very expensive. I will absolutely look into your suggestions. Thank you!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
shos4birds -

I forgot this in my previous post. Here is the website for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte (http://www.charlottediocese.org/index.html - broken link)

Mecklenburg Area Catholic Schools (http://www.charlottediocese.org/macs.html?sid=9495 - broken link)

St. Michael's Catholic Church and School in Gastonia. Yahoo maps says that is about 20/30 minutes from Belmont/Mount Holly.

ETA: I found this great video on youtube
Fort Mill SC Photos Video Tour Things to do
NCGirl I loved the video. While I was on YouTube I also checked out some other videos of the Charlotte area. I've been there but again it was for different reasons so my eyes take it in differently now. Charlotte appears to be a pretty clean city, am I right?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
I agree with Loves Mountains. Here observations are good ones. However, there are a good number of kids from Ft. Mill in MACS (Mecklenburg Area Catholic Schools).

Also, there is still a well kept secret in Charlotte...a small area called Coulwood which is near Mountain Island. Large lots, small town feel. BUT the public schools in the area are not very good. You can access uptown (Charlotte's 'downtown') or Huntersville K-8 schools readily, however.

Good luck with your choice. Personally, I would simply plan on sending them to Catholic School and then base your choice around there simply because the Char-Meck and surrounding schools, while good, take a good bit of time to really navigate and choose. MACS is all set...you know where your kids will be k-12, there is bus service to most areas and they will have consistency while you have peace of mind.
There is BUS SERVICE for some of the Catholic Schools? Well shoot, I'm sold on Charlotte for sure now! (j/k..kind of) Seriously, I have never heard of bus service to private (Catholic) schools. Thanks taben!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
There is BUS SERVICE for some of the Catholic Schools? Well shoot, I'm sold on Charlotte for sure now! (j/k..kind of) Seriously, I have never heard of bus service to private (Catholic) schools. Thanks taben!
Just so you know, it costs extra and the stops are centralized locations, not students individual homes

Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
For newcomers, yes, I agree that it is

So many people have either heard from their friends already here or even on these threads to avoid west Charlotte that they don't realize west Charlotte and WEST OF Charlotte are not the same thing
Kind of like the difference between Assistant to the Regional Manager and Assistant Regional Manager .

Old 01-14-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just so you know, it costs extra and the stops are centralized locations, not students individual homes
Yes, I figured they couldn't very well go all over the greater Charlotte area for each Catholic student, but hey, at least it's an option!

Old 01-14-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
Other areas
Birkdale and Birkdale Village, 1/2mile off Exit 28 on I77 in Huntersville. Golf course in Birkdale, existing Catholic school & new Catholic Church under construction, easy access to airport, 1/2mile to Lake Norman,"upscale" shopping and restaurants in Birkdale Village.
I'm not finding homes for sale related to the name Birkdale...only apartments. I'm assuming this is a community within Huntersville - am I wrong? What is the name of the Catholic school in the community?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM

407 posts, read 726,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
I'm not finding homes for sale related to the name Birkdale...only apartments. I'm assuming this is a community within Huntersville - am I wrong? What is the name of the Catholic school in the community?
Check your direct message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte