U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Information on Charlotte, North Carolina suburbs, good school districts, access to river water, golf courses, low crime rate neighborhoods, access to running trails and gym, Catholic schools

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Michigan
528 posts, read 1,331,374 times
Reputation: 179

Advertisements

Yes, another possible transplant here looking for info.

I have read many threads here, and have some friends in the Charlotte area who have helped to give me some info, now I'm just looking for some other insider info. regarding certain parts of the area.

First, I should say, that we are coming from Michigan and that the job is not an issue for us - hubby has a great job already and can work from anywhere (he travels as a consultant and must just be within a reasonable distance from the airport).

Next, we had been looking at two other areas - the Triangle (Raleigh area) and Nashville. Nashville has just been ruled out. Wake County turns us off because of the school (redistricting) issue (our kids are 2 and 4 years old). While we may send our kids to private (Catholic) school, we still want to know where our kids will be going to school if they should head to public at any point. We have been to the area, but were there for leisure, so now we are looking at the area from a different angle.

We're looking for housing in the range of up to $300K. We don't want a tiny speck of land (like we would get in the Triangle) but we also want to be in a neighborhood (not too spread out). A friend of mine recommended three areas: Belmont, Mt. Holly and Ft. Mill, SC.

I would like to know if you can describe the following for me for these three areas:
  • schools (good reputation, good with children w/IEP's as my daughter has one (she will likely be in regular classroom, but still may require some extra help outside of class)
  • access to water/river
  • access to Charlotte
  • access to golf (for hubby )
  • safety of the area (crime)
  • access to running trails and a gym
  • access to Catholic schools (names of some that are reputable would be great)
  • the town itself (does it have a nice downtown, a good strategic plan for the future, concerts or anything else that brings the town residents together, etc.)
If you want to throw in any other areas for us to consider, that would be great. It would also be great if you could throw in specific developments we might consider. We want a lively community with lots of neighbors and a kid friendly area.

Thank you so much for any info. you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2009, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Reputation: 39856
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
Yes, another possible transplant here looking for info.

I have read many threads here, and have some friends in the Charlotte area who have helped to give me some info, now I'm just looking for some other insider info. regarding certain parts of the area.

First, I should say, that we are coming from Michigan and that the job is not an issue for us - hubby has a great job already and can work from anywhere (he travels as a consultant and must just be within a reasonable distance from the airport).

Next, we had been looking at two other areas - the Triangle (Raleigh area) and Nashville. Nashville has just been ruled out. Wake County turns us off because of the school (redistricting) issue (our kids are 2 and 4 years old). While we may send our kids to private (Catholic) school, we still want to know where our kids will be going to school if they should head to public at any point. We have been to the area, but were there for leisure, so now we are looking at the area from a different angle.

We're looking for housing in the range of up to $300K. We don't want a tiny speck of land (like we would get in the Triangle) but we also want to be in a neighborhood (not too spread out). A friend of mine recommended three areas: Belmont, Mt. Holly and Ft. Mill, SC.

I would like to know if you can describe the following for me for these three areas:
  • schools (good reputation, good with children w/IEP's as my daughter has one (she will likely be in regular classroom, but still may require some extra help outside of class)
  • access to water/river
  • access to Charlotte
  • access to golf (for hubby )
  • safety of the area (crime)
  • access to running trails and a gym
  • access to Catholic schools (names of some that are reputable would be great)
  • the town itself (does it have a nice downtown, a good strategic plan for the future, concerts or anything else that brings the town residents together, etc.)
If you want to throw in any other areas for us to consider, that would be great. It would also be great if you could throw in specific developments we might consider. We want a lively community with lots of neighbors and a kid friendly area.

Thank you so much for any info. you can provide.
While I like Mt. Holly and Belmont, the better schools of the 3 are in Fort Mill.

Belmont is a very attractive little town though with more character and personality, and a neat little downtown. It also has great access to the airport and uptown Charlotte. But really, all 3 of them are convenient to the airport.

You will not have great access to Catholic schools in any of the 3. Belmont would get you the closest to one - St. Michael's in the neighboring town of Gastonia.

To get everything on your list, with the exception of Catholic schools, consider the wonderful little community of Tega Cay on Lake Wylie (it has Fort Mill schools).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Michigan
528 posts, read 1,331,374 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
While I like Mt. Holly and Belmont, the better schools of the 3 are in Fort Mill.

Belmont is a very attractive little town though with more character and personality, and a neat little downtown. It also has great access to the airport and uptown Charlotte. But really, all 3 of them are convenient to the airport.

You will not have great access to Catholic schools in any of the 3. Belmont would get you the closest to one - St. Michael's in the neighboring town of Gastonia.

To get everything on your list, with the exception of Catholic schools, consider the wonderful little community of Tega Cay on Lake Wylie (it has Fort Mill schools).
lovesMountains, thank you! Tega Cay looks like a GREAT location and I love the fact that the schools are the best of the 3 towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,447 posts, read 6,653,718 times
Reputation: 1389
I used to work in Gaston county and have several friends in that area. Mt. Holly and Belmont are right next to each other somewhat divided by I- 85. Both towns have cute downtowns with restaurants and coffee shops (no Starbucks in Gaston county). Both have several community festivals and Christmas parades. IMO, Belmont seems to have more energy.

Other suggestions are Cramerton and McAdenville. Both are nestled in between Mt. Holly/Belmont and Gastonia.

If you need professional real estate guidance you may want to contact city-data member Patti1042. She lives in Belmont.


We're looking for housing in the range of up to $300K. We don't want a tiny speck of land (like we would get in the Triangle) but we also want to be in a neighborhood (not too spread out). A friend of mine recommended three areas: Belmont, Mt. Holly and Ft. Mill, SC.

I would like to know if you can describe the following for me for these three areas:

schools (good reputation, good with children w/IEP's as my daughter has one (she will likely be in regular classroom, but still may require some extra help outside of class)

Of the two, Belmont schools have the better reputation. Gaston county schools have plans to build a new high school and a another elem. or middle school in Cramerton. This will probably impact the existing schools in each town.

access to water/river

There isn't a lot of public access but there are Waterfront and Waterview homes in each area. Mt.Holly - Catawba River, Belmont -Lake Wylie.

access to Charlotte- Here's a good map. link

Mt. Holly and Belmont are right beside Charlotte. Do you see where it says to Gastonia? North of I-85 is Mt. Holly and south of I-85 is Belmont. As you can see there are several roads that can take one into Charlotte.

safety of the area (crime) - Overall these cities have very good reputations as far as crime is concerned,

access to running trails and a gym

There are two close YMCAs, Stowe in Belmont (actually thisclose to Mt Holly) and a new Y in McAdenville (Pharr Family).
Gaston County YMCA There is a Planet Fitness in Gastonia.

Golf- In Cramerton there is a private course on Cramer Mountain (http://www.cramermountain.com/CMCC/Golf/Golf_Homepage.htm - broken link)

Last edited by NCgirl; 01-13-2009 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM
 
4 posts, read 5,775 times
Reputation: 10
Are you set on a Charlotte suburb or will you consider Charlotte itself? I think the best place to find all that you are looking for is in South Charlotte, in communities between Park Road and Randolph Rd. Possible developments include Huntingtowne Farms, Thornhill, Touchstone, and many more.

The Charlotte YMCA is fantastic and has several locations. The Catholic school system, MACS (Mecklenburg Area Catholic Schools) is excellent too, with St. Gabriel and St. Matthew Catholic schools both in South Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:13 PM
 
221 posts, read 649,797 times
Reputation: 69
shoes,

You have already received some fantastic advise.

Make sure you do your own research on schools. I suggest www.greatschools.net as it is a very easy site with a wealth of information. Also, you may visit the schools that you are interested in for your children. My children do attend the Belmont public schools and we have been thrilled with everything so far.

As loves mentioned, Tega Cay really does fit most of your criteria too. I would recommend that you drive around each of the areas to determine which one feels more like home to you as each of them are different.

I think that you enjoy what this area has to offer. Best Wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,447 posts, read 6,653,718 times
Reputation: 1389
shos4birds -

I forgot this in my previous post. Here is the website for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte (http://www.charlottediocese.org/index.html - broken link)

Mecklenburg Area Catholic Schools (http://www.charlottediocese.org/macs.html?sid=9495 - broken link)

St. Michael's Catholic Church and School in Gastonia. Yahoo maps says that is about 20/30 minutes from Belmont/Mount Holly.

ETA: I found this great video on youtube
Fort Mill SC Photos Video Tour Things to do

Last edited by NCgirl; 01-14-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Cornelius
407 posts, read 728,292 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
Yes, another possible transplant here looking for info.

I have read many threads here, and have some friends in the Charlotte area who have helped to give me some info, now I'm just looking for some other insider info. regarding certain parts of the area.

First, I should say, that we are coming from Michigan and that the job is not an issue for us - hubby has a great job already and can work from anywhere (he travels as a consultant and must just be within a reasonable distance from the airport).

Next, we had been looking at two other areas - the Triangle (Raleigh area) and Nashville. Nashville has just been ruled out. Wake County turns us off because of the school (redistricting) issue (our kids are 2 and 4 years old). While we may send our kids to private (Catholic) school, we still want to know where our kids will be going to school if they should head to public at any point. We have been to the area, but were there for leisure, so now we are looking at the area from a different angle.

We're looking for housing in the range of up to $300K. We don't want a tiny speck of land (like we would get in the Triangle) but we also want to be in a neighborhood (not too spread out). A friend of mine recommended three areas: Belmont, Mt. Holly and Ft. Mill, SC.

I would like to know if you can describe the following for me for these three areas:
  • schools (good reputation, good with children w/IEP's as my daughter has one (she will likely be in regular classroom, but still may require some extra help outside of class)
  • access to water/river
  • access to Charlotte
  • access to golf (for hubby )
  • safety of the area (crime)
  • access to running trails and a gym
  • access to Catholic schools (names of some that are reputable would be great)
  • the town itself (does it have a nice downtown, a good strategic plan for the future, concerts or anything else that brings the town residents together, etc.)
If you want to throw in any other areas for us to consider, that would be great. It would also be great if you could throw in specific developments we might consider. We want a lively community with lots of neighbors and a kid friendly area.

Thank you so much for any info. you can provide.
Other areas
Birkdale and Birkdale Village, 1/2mile off Exit 28 on I77 in Huntersville. Golf course in Birkdale, existing Catholic school & new Catholic Church under construction, easy access to airport, 1/2mile to Lake Norman,"upscale" shopping and restaurants in Birkdale Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 12:32 PM
 
441 posts, read 1,070,102 times
Reputation: 280
Default Other Options

I agree with Loves Mountains. Here observations are good ones. However, there are a good number of kids from Ft. Mill in MACS (Mecklenburg Area Catholic Schools).

Also, there is still a well kept secret in Charlotte...a small area called Coulwood which is near Mountain Island. Large lots, small town feel. BUT the public schools in the area are not very good. You can access uptown (Charlotte's 'downtown') or Huntersville K-8 schools readily, however.

Good luck with your choice. Personally, I would simply plan on sending them to Catholic School and then base your choice around there simply because the Char-Meck and surrounding schools, while good, take a good bit of time to really navigate and choose. MACS is all set...you know where your kids will be k-12, there is bus service to most areas and they will have consistency while you have peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,447 posts, read 6,653,718 times
Reputation: 1389
Coulwood is a secret?

I think this is great advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
Good luck with your choice. Personally, I would simply plan on sending them to Catholic School and then base your choice around there simply because the Char-Meck and surrounding schools, while good, take a good bit of time to really navigate and choose. MACS is all set...you know where your kids will be k-12, there is bus service to most areas and they will have consistency while you have peace of mind.
Especially if catholic schools are a top priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top