Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 AM

65 posts, read 238,623 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have been looking for a job forever. It is driving me nuts. Anyway, at times I go to Craig's list to apply for a job being very hesitant about it because sometimes or most of the time I guess.. I will apply for a job and I get this bogus reply that says apply here http://thecareer-hub.com?38090
Is this a scam? Or do companies really go through this? I just highly doubt it, but I was wondering if anyone knew about sites like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 AM

8 posts, read 22,646 times
Yes, you are Correct!

A lot of recruiters and firms go there post a job that sounds really really great and then....

Direct you to their website.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 AM

65 posts, read 238,623 times
This is a legite website then?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:25 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
Website is registered out of VA. Call them and see if a legit company answers the phone: Thecareer-hub.com - The Career Hub

Old 08-01-2008, 03:11 PM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times
I also have been searching Craigs List for a job. You have to be careful and look for scams. I will google a phone number, fax number, or company name (may be in the email address - when it's there, which is not often).

Old 08-01-2008, 03:35 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Yeah be careful..I don't know if it's true or urban legend, but I heard one person responded to a craigslist ad for babysitting and showed up for the job only to be killed.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,370 times
Default It's A Scam

They are trying to get you to request information concerning "work from home" programs (another scam) or similar programs. My guess is someone pays the jerks who post these bogus help wanted ads and manage the responses, so that they can direct unsuspecting folks to the "career-hub.com" site. It's not really a job site, just google it and see what happens. It's really insidious how they appear to be coping and pasting text from legitimate ads into their listings.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:53 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeme View Post
Ok, I have been looking for a job forever. It is driving me nuts. Anyway, at times I go to Craig's list to apply for a job being very hesitant about it because sometimes or most of the time I guess.. I will apply for a job and I get this bogus reply that says apply here http://thecareer-hub.com?38090
Is this a scam? Or do companies really go through this? I just highly doubt it, but I was wondering if anyone knew about sites like this?
No real well established company would go through Craig's List to look for applicants.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:22 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
No real well established company would go through Craig's List to look for applicants.
I disagree with that, or at least wonder about your definition of "established company." I'm sure that BofA isn't advertising in Craig's List, but many small- to mid-sized companies use it along with NPOs that can't spend money on expensive ads.

I would be wary of any ads that direct you to a recruiter. Follow the other response's advice and Google what you can. Also, be ware of ads that seem very similar to one another advertising different positions; you will eventually learn to spot the ones that are suspect. I have interviewed at several companies with excellent reputations that advertised on Craig's List due to the cost, flexibility, and number of people that it reaches.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:42 PM

228 posts, read 910,506 times
Groove-It is not an urban legend. A 24 yr old girl in Minnesota responded to an ad for a babysitter and was shot and killed when she went for the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte