U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:03 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
weird. Weird colours, too.

Is that a restaurant grill in the kitchen??

Have to get rid of those Cyprus trees in the front, too.
That house needs some serious re-working (landscaping and interior) and it would really be best if it had a circular drive in front to give it that estate look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:00 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,867,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
Oh...in case you haven't seen it...here is the link!

Real Estate Search Results - Williams & Williams Real Estate Auctions
Just for the record - don't try to follow the directions on this link. There is no longer a Marvin Weddington Rd. From I-485, to Providence, to REA RD, would get you to Churchhill Downs. When Rea Rd was extended, Marvin Weddington Rd was eliminated. Parts of it are the new Rea Rd and parts of it are the new Marvin School Rd. (Wouldn't you think someone would have caught an error as important as that?)

Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 AM

523 posts, read 2,606,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I received a mailing today, announcing that a 5000+ sf home in Providence Downs on .74 acres is going on auction at the end of the month. The starting bid is $100,000!!!
Sheesh! And I thought I was getting a deal at Harris Teeter the other day, when they were having a two-for-one sale on steak!
These auctions are simply a marketing tool. A couple of months ago, I found some really great townhomes near uptown with starting bids around the $170k range. They were brand new, so it was a builder's auction. The true value of these places was at least $300k if not $400k so I decided to go ahead in put in a bid. I had to leave a $2000 earnest money deposit. There was a website where you could see the bids (most started out as closed bids but day after day, another house's bid was published for everyone to see). Also, every day, the auction was supposed to end the next day, unless someone new bid in that 24 hours, in which case the bid was extended another 24 hours. I bid about $20k over opening bid and because my bid was published online, I could see that no one outbid me on the house that I wanted. At the end of the auction, even though some people bid around $250k on some houses, NO ONE's bids were accepted. I saw these houses advertised online the other day for around $350k. I got my $2k back minus $50 about a month later. It was all a gimmick!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
These auctions are simply a marketing tool. A couple of months ago, I found some really great townhomes near uptown with starting bids around the $170k range. They were brand new, so it was a builder's auction. The true value of these places was at least $300k if not $400k so I decided to go ahead in put in a bid. I had to leave a $2000 earnest money deposit. There was a website where you could see the bids (most started out as closed bids but day after day, another house's bid was published for everyone to see). Also, every day, the auction was supposed to end the next day, unless someone new bid in that 24 hours, in which case the bid was extended another 24 hours. I bid about $20k over opening bid and because my bid was published online, I could see that no one outbid me on the house that I wanted. At the end of the auction, even though some people bid around $250k on some houses, NO ONE's bids were accepted. I saw these houses advertised online the other day for around $350k. I got my $2k back minus $50 about a month later. It was all a gimmick!
Yep. If you read the fine print (or get the "fine print" from the auction house - cause it isn't always on the website!!!) you will find that the seller can put a "reserve" price on the property . . . wh/ means, if no one bids over that set price, then the property is withdrawn.

I agree - it is just a way to get interest up - a marketing tool. And who knows - maybe someone really does buy at the seller's price.

Real auctions of foreclosed property take place at the courthouse in most cities.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:50 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,535,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
And you lost 50 dollars!!! I agree when an opening bid is so low is just a marketing ploy!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
And you lost 50 dollars!!! I agree when an opening bid is so low is just a marketing ploy!
You know - what a scam. Just think - they got $50 off everyone who signed up to bid!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte