Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:06 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,722,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Target, Best Buy, Trader Joes etc are in within walking distance.

20 min walk there 20 mins shopping and 20 min walk back and great exercise as well
Yep. You're talking about Met Midtown, there's also a new Marshalls and a West Elm. And they'll be several resturants on the greenway there to open. Since folks are talking about places like Atlantic Station in Atlanta, you certanly have to give Charlotte credit for that area of our "Midtown".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 AM

7,055 posts, read 12,274,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
The new parking structure that they are building between the arena and children's library will have retail space below. Last I had heard it would include an open air market.
You are talking about Center City Green no doubt!!! This is the best I could find online about it. The following is copied from another site.

CENTER CITY GREEN

Next Big Thing started with a need for parking spaces, but it will be much more -- possibly even a year-round green market.

Spectrum Properties plans to develop Center City Green, a 12-story, 1,400-space deck to include condos, a restaurant and a farmers' market across Fifth Street from Time Warner Cable Arena, formerly Bobcats Arena.

Spectrum is buying the 2 acres on the light-rail line between the arena and ImaginOn from Bank of America, which will lease 1,300 spaces for its employees.

The $60 million complex will be developed with a goal of achieving Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification, said Spectrum CEO Darryl Dewberry.

THE DETAILS OF CENTER CITY GREEN

• Size: 12-story parking deck to include condos, a restaurant and a green market.

• Location: 2-acre site bounded by Fifth, Sixth and North Brevard streets and the light-rail line.

• The condos: 88 units, 560 to 960 square feet, priced from the $180,000s to the $280,000s. Green features to include eco-friendly finishes such as cork, recycled glass, bamboo, compact fluorescent lighting, and energy-saver appliances.

• The restaurant: Developers are aiming for a health-conscious eatery featuring wholesome dining.

• The green market: Developers are working with Charlotte Center City Partners on a year-round market featuring fresh vegetables, fish, meats and dairy products -- all sold by local vendors.

• Parking: Condos with balconies would be constructed beside a 1,400-space deck. Glass elevator towers and a helix -shaped parking ramp add artistic elements.

• Design: Developers will seek LEED silver certification and include such green features as bicycle storage, showers and changing rooms.

• Development team: Spectrum Properties, developer; LS3P Associates Ltd., architect; BE&K Construction, general contractor; Bank of America, lender.

• Timetable: Groundbreaking by late June; completion by fourth quarter of 2009.

• Information:center city green.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:11 AM

274 posts, read 238,522 times
When I moved here in 1997, "uptown" Charlotte rolled up the streets at night and on weekends. I worked uptown at the time and loved the atmosphere. I loved being able to walk through the catwalks and eventually make my way to Overstreet Mall.

Charlotte has come a long way since then. There's a lot of nightlife and it's busy. It's good to see.

Unfortunately, when malls come to town, downtown shopping areas suffer. I've seen it in all the areas I've lived along the East Coast.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:11 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,798,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Target, Best Buy, Trader Joes etc are in within walking distance.

20 min walk there 20 mins shopping and 20 min walk back and great exercise as well
Great exercise, but 20 minutes for shopping? I'm talking eat lunch at desk, then clock out, 5 minutes up, 50 to shop and 5 back.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:13 AM

494 posts, read 1,342,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
you are talking about center city green no doubt!!! This is the best i could find online about it. The following is copied from another site.

center city green

next big thing started with a need for parking spaces, but it will be much more -- possibly even a year-round green market.

Spectrum properties plans to develop center city green, a 12-story, 1,400-space deck to include condos, a restaurant and a farmers' market across fifth street from time warner cable arena, formerly bobcats arena.

Spectrum is buying the 2 acres on the light-rail line between the arena and imaginon from bank of america, which will lease 1,300 spaces for its employees.

The $60 million complex will be developed with a goal of achieving leadership in energy and environmental design (leed) certification, said spectrum ceo darryl dewberry.

the details of center city green

• size: 12-story parking deck to include condos, a restaurant and a green market.

• location: 2-acre site bounded by fifth, sixth and north brevard streets and the light-rail line.

• the condos: 88 units, 560 to 960 square feet, priced from the $180,000s to the $280,000s. Green features to include eco-friendly finishes such as cork, recycled glass, bamboo, compact fluorescent lighting, and energy-saver appliances.

• the restaurant: Developers are aiming for a health-conscious eatery featuring wholesome dining.

• the green market: Developers are working with charlotte center city partners on a year-round market featuring fresh vegetables, fish, meats and dairy products -- all sold by local vendors.

• parking: Condos with balconies would be constructed beside a 1,400-space deck. Glass elevator towers and a helix -shaped parking ramp add artistic elements.

• design: Developers will seek leed silver certification and include such green features as bicycle storage, showers and changing rooms.

• development team: Spectrum properties, developer; ls3p associates ltd., architect; be&k construction, general contractor; bank of america, lender.

• timetable: Groundbreaking by late june; completion by fourth quarter of 2009.

• information:center city green.
love this...hope it is still on track!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:15 AM

7,055 posts, read 12,274,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
love this...hope it is still on track!!!
Yes!!! They are heavy into construction. The pedestrian walkway over the LYNX tracks is up now!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 AM

3,364 posts, read 9,985,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
Great exercise, but 20 minutes for shopping? I'm talking eat lunch at desk, then clock out, 5 minutes up, 50 to shop and 5 back.

NAh!!! in this economy 50 mins to shop, I would spend too much!!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 AM

494 posts, read 1,342,768 times
Quote:
Yes!!! They are heavy into construction. The pedestrian walkway over the LYNX tracks is up now!!!

This will be so great!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,798,947 times
Quote:
You are talking about Center City Green no doubt!!! This is the best I could find online about it. The following is copied from another site.

CENTER CITY GREEN

• Information:center city green.
Nice photo, when I worked at the arena my cube looked straight out to the construction area. It was very interesting to watch. Our TV announcer would stand at the window and give us a play by play, it was great!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,287,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargoKey View Post
When I moved here in 1997, "uptown" Charlotte rolled up the streets at night and on weekends. I worked uptown at the time and loved the atmosphere. I loved being able to walk through the catwalks and eventually make my way to Overstreet Mall.

Charlotte has come a long way since then. There's a lot of nightlife and it's busy. It's good to see.

Unfortunately, when malls come to town, downtown shopping areas suffer. I've seen it in all the areas I've lived along the East Coast.
Omg you hit it on head for someone new they look at the city and complain just like many transplants no this, or no that but for those of us who have been here awhile Charlotte has a new face lift about every 10 years.
Charlotte uptown has changed since 1997 and will look totally different in 2017 . It use to be that you could sail through Uptown on Tryon at night now on a summer night it like going to Myrtle Beach with all the uptown traffic on Tryon and College.

Point is naysayers need to stop look at what Uptown is blossoming into instead of stepping on it. Growth doesnt happen over night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte