Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 AM

7,055 posts, read 12,278,818 times

Advertisements

I can't honestly think of another midsized American city with a Ritz and "W" brand hotel, a complex like Epicentre, a NBA arena, a retail effort like the Founders Hall expansion, and a major light rail station ALL ON THE SAME BLOCK!!! Those that seem to enjoy picking on Charlotte really need to take a close look at this city. My goodness, I have even heard rumors that Blomingdales might be coming to the new Wells Wachovia building. There will be another uptown YMCA there as well. People really need to do their homework on what Charlotte is planning and building before they come on city data and start threads like this one.

Charlotte's downtown future (5 to 10 year future) is far brighter than most midsized cities (and even a few large cities). Some folks have no clue where this city is heading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:16 AM

355 posts, read 988,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I can't honestly think of another midsized American city with a Ritz and "W" brand hotel, a complex like Epicentre, a NBA arena, a retail effort like the Founders Hall expansion, and a major light rail station ALL ON THE SAME BLOCK!!! Those that seem to enjoy picking on Charlotte really need to take a close look at this city. My goodness, I have even heard rumors that Blomingdales might be coming to the new Wells Wachovia building. There will be another uptown YMCA there as well. People really need to do their homework on what Charlotte is planning and building before they come on city data and start threads like this one.

Charlotte's downtown future (5 to 10 year future) is far brighter than most midsized cities (and even a few large cities). Some folks have no clue where this city is heading.
UrbanCharlotte for mayor!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,299,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricbeethoven View Post
UrbanCharlotte for mayor!
wait we need to check to see if he related or has any affiliation with Nick Mackey first

Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykayak View Post
wait we need to check to see if he related or has any affiliation with nick mackey first
lol! Good one kayak:d

Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,146,032 times
Quote:

I like your perspective. And I like that you do your homework!!!!! Thanks for a very insightful post.

Maybe you should consider political office, Urban.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,800,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to CRock for posting those postcards. I really enjoyed seeing what Charlotte looked like in the past.
Right now if you go to Costco, they have 2 books on Charlotte. One of the books shows now and then photo's and is really neat. Unfortunately I can't remember what the other one was.

The new parking structure that they are building between the arena and children's library will have retail space below. Last I had heard it would include an open air market.

When I was working in uptown, I would have traded Raymond Felton for a retail shop. They do have a few shops in BofA Plaza, I loved The Bee Hive (a gift store). I always saw people in Julies & Belle Ville (women's clothing) and men in Jos A. Banks and there is even a book store (I forget which one). If you go to the visitor center on Tryon that's where you'll find your Charlotte trinkets for out of towners. I didn't want large retail stores, Wal Mart/Sears, just a few small ones, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor/Loft, Black House White Market, Limited/Express, stores like that. South Park wasn't do-able for a lunch hour. We were very happy when Target opened. But we just needed something with in walking distance.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
Right now if you go to Costco, they have 2 books on Charlotte. One of the books shows now and then photo's and is really neat. Unfortunately I can't remember what the other one was.

The new parking structure that they are building between the arena and children's library will have retail space below. Last I had heard it would include an open air market.

When I was working in uptown, I would have traded Raymond Felton for a retail shop. They do have a few shops in BofA Plaza, I loved The Bee Hive (a gift store). I always saw people in Julies & Belle Ville (women's clothing) and men in Jos A. Banks and there is even a book store (I forget which one). If you go to the visitor center on Tryon that's where you'll find your Charlotte trinkets for out of towners. I didn't want large retail stores, Wal Mart/Sears, just a few small ones, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor/Loft, Black House White Market, Limited/Express, stores like that. South Park wasn't do-able for a lunch hour. We were very happy when Target opened. But we just needed something with in walking distance.
LOL!!! trade Raymond Felton, you guys are a humor buffet

Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,723,377 times
Quote:

Good points. Only Memphis comes to mind. But its pretty much what you find in downtown Charlotte. Near their arena is Peabody Place; which is like our Epicentre, and Beale Street is very nearby. Beale street is a very nice environment; a lot of hustle and bustle in one tight area, but when you look at what’s really there, its nothing over and above what you find in downtown Charlotte. And they certainly don't have the development in their downtown that we have going on.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 AM

3,364 posts, read 9,986,372 times
Target, Best Buy, Trader Joes etc are in within walking distance.

20 min walk there 20 mins shopping and 20 min walk back and great exercise as well

Old 01-15-2009, 08:06 AM

494 posts, read 1,343,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Good points. Only Memphis comes to mind. But its pretty much what you find in downtown Charlotte. Near their arena is Peabody Place; which is like our Epicentre, and Beale Street is very nearby. Beale street is a very nice environment; a lot of hustle and bustle in one tight area, but when you look at what’s really there, its nothing over and above what you find in downtown Charlotte. And they certainly don't have the development in their downtown that we have going on.
I completely understand your point...However, it is so hard ot know what is really coming and what is rumored...it seems to change like the wind. I don't think that wishing and hoping for an addition of a fun walking/shopping/eating area for Uptown is a bad...it is great to discuss our hopes and wants for a place that we all live in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte