Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 AM

15 posts, read 47,318 times

Advertisements

i am thinking about moving to Lawson and i was wondering if people are happy there. i was also looking at Millbridge can anyone tell me if one is better then the other? i am from Long Island NY ( sorry GTRMAN74) and i have an 8 and 9 year old and would like to know if living down there would be a good move. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM

238 posts, read 565,144 times
I live in Millbridge. We moved here a few months ago and really love it. Our kids are 7 and 5. There are lots of kids here and they all play outside and all the neighbors are very friendly. We are very excited for the pool to open this summer. We've enjoyed the gym and social events the commuity has.

I've never visited Lawson, but I have heard good things as well.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM

430 posts, read 799,149 times
Both are fantastic neighborhoods IMO. Good schools, nice houses. I think Lawson might be a slightly higher price point than Millbridge, but Millbridge has fantastic pools. Both have a ton of children and lots of new people moving in looking for friends. I have good friends in each.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 PM

93 posts, read 183,527 times
I recently went through the house hunting process and both neighborhoods were looked at.
I highly recommend going to Millbridge on a warmer Saturday morning. Apparently there is a shooting range relatively close by. Gun shots rang out all morning long.

I never smelled the sewage plant at Lawson and met many of the neighbors. Great neighborhood with a HUGE population of kids. Also, big houses for the money! We couldn't justify paying list for a build with the options we were looking for. If you are willing to buy a spec home though, you'll get a great deal.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 AM

238 posts, read 565,144 times
It's true about the gun range. You can hear the shots being fired. Last Saturday we were outside all day and could hear it. it's not very loud, because we are quite a distance from it, but you can hear it. It doesn't bother me though.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Thanks guys for the information, It really is a tough decision they both are beautiful communities and the ammenties are great. I wanted to know if anybody knows anything about Cureton if that is also a good community to look in. This information is so helpful through this relocating process.
Thanks again Ronnie

Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 AM

I just hope that gun range isnt to loud . i hope it is something i can get used to if i live in Millbridge, the communities are one better then the other.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGSONE2001 View Post
Thanks guys for the information, It really is a tough decision they both are beautiful communities and the ammenties are great. I wanted to know if anybody knows anything about Cureton if that is also a good community to look in. This information is so helpful through this relocating process.
Thanks again Ronnie
Ronnie,
I am new to Charlotte and went through the house hunting process as I mentioned before in this thread, so take my comments for what they are, my opinion only.

There are some nice communities in the area but I found every one of them had their issues to weigh against when we made our decision to build.
-> Cureton - VERY close the sewage treatment facility. The smell was very strong on a cloudy day this past fall.
->Lawson - Big homes for the money. No sewage smell. Best neighborhood/amenities/community in the area. You will NOT be able to build to your selections without paying list price for a home in this community. My wife and I are particular about our lot, flooring, cabinets, and granite. They build spec homes and move a large volume at a very low $/sqft. If you buy a spec home, you will pay significantly less than someone who builds to their selections. Hire a realtor to make sure you are comping out!
-> Millbridge - Gunshots from shooting range(s). They were loud enough, we didn't even walk into the model to talk. Got out of car, heard 20-30 shots in a minute and jumped right back in to leave.
-> Chimney's of Marvin - Really nice neighborhood. Open section of neighborhood will start in the $400's for the less desirable lots. Great location and schools. My only issue with this neighborhood is with paying $130/sqft for new construction. The existing homes are selling much lower $/sqft. I worried that I would lose 20% immediately after I closed on the home.
-> Weddington Trace - Nicest and best built homes of the lot. In the less expensive section, there are rather large (actually HUGE) power lines running through the middle of the section. In the most expensive section, large lots around 1 acre and very large existing homes to help with the value of property. However, still those pesky power lines.

I hope this helps to give you some direction, things to look for, and allows you to consider the pros and cons of each from the opinion of a home buyer.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 AM

I should also add:
-> Hollister - Big homes, large power lines, but not much development. It felt like they had hit the neighborhood with a nuclear bomb and begun building expensive homes in the aftermath.
-> Briarcrest - Not many mature trees. Nothing terribly bad to say about the neighborhood other than how far away from everything it is. We had this strange feeling that it wasn't the right neighborhood for us. If that makes any sense at all.

I'm sure I'll have more to add later, I'm drawing a blank on other neighborhoods we visited.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM

430 posts, read 799,149 times
So weird, I had the same feeling about Briarcrest when we were looking into new homes almost 2 years ago.

Regarding Hollister, it wasn't the place for me, but since I was looking, they have added a lot of new homes, so they are definitely growing.

Also check out Lake Forrest. I thought it was quite lovely in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte