U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM
 
5 posts, read 34,132 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi there!

We have been pondering the thought of heading to NC, so that the kids might get to experience snow. From my understanding, it would be about an 8 hour drive from Orlando. Also pondering the thought of relocating to the Charlotte area from Orlando (Lake Mary, Florida).

I'm originally from the Detroit area. but have lived in Central Florida for quite some time. It's too hot here in the summer, and from my understanding, NC offers the four season's, but not too harsh of a winter?

Would there be a chance for us to catch any snow accumulation near Charlotte NC? What month is the best chance for snow in Charlotte?

Also, how is the summer season?

Thanks so much!

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 AM
 
27,903 posts, read 34,340,394 times
Reputation: 4031
Not really. Maybe one or two occasional dusting where I have lived and then every 3-5 years a decent amount will fall. Somewhere between 6"-12". That's my recollection over close to 10 years. If you want to catch snow for sure you can always travel to the mountains. Lots there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 10:44 AM
 
Location: NE Charlotte, NC (University City)
1,894 posts, read 5,725,143 times
Reputation: 1041
Hey Med Mom,

My wife and I moved to Charlotte from Oviedo in June 2007 and love it! No regrets.

As for snow, we got one day of snow last year. Nothing yet this year. Charlotte certainly gets cold enough to snow, but unpredictable weather patterns keep snow at bay for the most part. People say it's due to the Blue Ridge Mountains blocking it. So as for Charlotte being a snow destination, there are other better options at the same driving distance. Don't let that discredit moving here though!

For snow, I'd hit Asheville. It's right around 8 hours from Orlando too. Their snow is more predictable. And as long as it's not currently snowing and there isn't bad ice, the Blue Ridge Parkway can take you up to higher elevations (5,000'+) in a 30 minute drive from Asheville where there is guaranteed to be snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,629,298 times
Reputation: 3806
Historically, over a period of 59 years, Charlotte has averaged a total of 5" per season with January being the snowiest month.

CHARLOTTE WSO ARPT, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Charlotte Snowfall Amounts (1878-2008) - http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/CLTmonthlySNobs.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Reputation: 22370
Depending where you are headed in the Charlotte region, it will be closer to a 9 hour drive (w/ any stops) but who is quibbling, LOL.

You will need to head to the mountains to see snow here. We rarely get snow and it is usually only a dusting when we do get it. More often, it turns into an icy mess, LOL - then melts and is gone quickly.

It snows more often in the northwestern counties of Avery and Watauga than it does here. Sometimes there are huge snow storms in Haywood and Madison Counties, as well. So you would need to add on some drive time (2 hours or so depending on route and weather) to make a trip to Boone, where it is snowing right now, as I write.

Here is a publication from that area - a Leisure Guide from the Mountain Times:

Winter Times 2008-2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Reputation: 22370
Be aware that the Parkway is not always open to traffic, due to weather or to repairs or rock slides. Check here b/f you take off on a trip that includes getting on the Parkway.

Blue Ridge Parkway - Road Closures (U.S. National Park Service)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Hey Med Mom,

My wife and I moved to Charlotte from Oviedo in June 2007 and love it! No regrets.

As for snow, we got one day of snow last year. Nothing yet this year. Charlotte certainly gets cold enough to snow, but unpredictable weather patterns keep snow at bay for the most part. People say it's due to the Blue Ridge Mountains blocking it. So as for Charlotte being a snow destination, there are other better options at the same driving distance. Don't let that discredit moving here though!

For snow, I'd hit Asheville. It's right around 8 hours from Orlando too. Their snow is more predictable. And as long as it's not currently snowing and there isn't bad ice, the Blue Ridge Parkway can take you up to higher elevations (5,000'+) in a 30 minute drive from Asheville where there is guaranteed to be snow.

The Parkway usually gets closed at those higher elevations when it does snow - so don't count on that.

In fact, it's hard to count on snow anywhere in NC except in the most rugged places. Sure our mountain communities get it (Boone, Banner Elk, sometimes Asheville) but it doesn't sit on the ground all winter - you'd have to know when it was coming, THEN plan to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 10:56 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The Parkway usually gets closed at those higher elevations when it does snow - so don't count on that.

In fact, it's hard to count on snow anywhere in NC except in the most rugged places. Sure our mountain communities get it (Boone, Banner Elk, sometimes Asheville) but it doesn't sit on the ground all winter - you'd have to know when it was coming, THEN plan to get there.
Very true. Otherwise, the only snow you will see will be the manufactured stuff on the ski slopes, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Be aware that the Parkway is not always open to traffic, due to weather or to repairs or rock slides. Check here b/f you take off on a trip that includes getting on the Parkway.

Blue Ridge Parkway - Road Closures (U.S. National Park Service)
great minds... lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
great minds... lol!
Well, we all know from your name that you love mountains!!! And I sure do, too . . . especially around Grandfather . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top