Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:55 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
That's what everyone else said. Birkdale isn't urban. If you are a Charlotte resident you already knew this:
Just got here 2 months ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Urban suggest area's where minorities moved into after whites moved out.
I almost choked on my fried chicken when I read this statement LOL!!! Without naming OTHER cities, I can think of SEVERAL west coast cities that are 70% white or better and are still very urban!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Since you seem to be focus on Huntersville it basically a new city and has developed since the mid 80's . Birkdale is only around 6 years old . Huntersville was basically farm & brick making town before someone decided it was ok to live near Nuclear plant and be near the lake so Yes Birkdale is Urban living if you come from a farm!

Huntersville population around 48k .. Crazy your debating urbanism of a small town

Old 01-15-2009, 01:00 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I almost choked on my fried chicken when I read this statement LOL!!! Without naming OTHER cities, I can think of SEVERAL west coast cities that are 70% white or better and are still very urban!!!
Sorry, but I'm originally from the NorthEast - LI - and urban suggest something different.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Well, I hope you like it here. But truly, we are a growing city . . . not a finished product. Charlotte is great if you enjoy the burbs, but if you are looking for that true urban feel, you should check out Southend, NoDa, Elizabeth, etc. It still might not be exactly what you had in mind.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM

307 posts, read 715,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Like I said - its the South. Anything not rural must be urban - at least, to many. And yes, that was facetious. I really don't know what you all want us to say about trailers being "down the road."
Nobody needs to say anything I just took it that the OP was making the distinction that the area seems rural not urban and that was an example why. He didn't like the area being marketed as urban. Anyway it's a mix, still in transition, it's the suburbs with a little bit of rural thrown in, and birkdale village is a little bit of urban like thrown in.

It reminds me very much of the area I grew up in outside of the dc beltway back about twenty years ago and I like that about this area. In another twenty years Lake Norman might be just as congested as Nova. You never know...

Old 01-15-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm originally from the NorthEast - LI - and urban suggest something different.
What, exactly, does "urban" mean to you? Cause if we knew that, then maybe we could suggest something more compatible for you.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:02 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Quote:
Ahh....Okay that makes sense! I hope you take a look at urbancharlotte's videos. I put a link in my post upthread. In case you missed it.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
To quote Dorothy, "I guess I'm not in the northest....er, Kansas anymore"

Old 01-15-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLK706 View Post
Nobody needs to say anything I just took it that the OP was making the distinction that the area seems rural not urban and that was an example why. He didn't like the area being marketed as urban. Anyway it's a mix, still in transition, it's the suburbs with a little bit of rural thrown in, and birkdale village is a little bit of urban like thrown in.

It reminds me very much of the area I grew up in outside of the dc beltway back about twenty years ago and I like that about this area. In another twenty years Lake Norman might be just as congested as Nova. You never know...
Good point - and didn't mean to come off as snippy - just re-read my post and it looked prickly, LOL. I was trying to say what you said - it is mixed and in transition. Very well put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: