U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 AM
 
1,158 posts, read 2,312,690 times
Reputation: 551

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I assume that you are referring to the CSA battle flag. I don't know what your point is. I had a neighbor in my former neighborhood, in a South Jersey suburb, who flew the CSA battle flag. Granted that was a house, not a trailer, or is it the trailer that you have the problem with? There were also trailers in my former location.

I think you're making something out of nothing.
I made an observation. I didn't make something or makeup anything. I observed that Birkdale and other areas were called and marketed as urban or new urbanisn. I was told on this post that if need something to do go to Birkdale Village (i.e. hip and cool). While it's nice, it's a outside mall. Further, I drove down the street and noticed several trailer homes and small trailer-like homes, with some confederate flags and said - "wow' - not urban, hip, cool.
Just a nice outside mall. And I think that's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2009, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Reputation: 39851
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I assume that you are referring to the CSA battle flag. I don't know what your point is. I had a neighbor in my former neighborhood, in a South Jersey suburb, who flew the CSA battle flag. Granted that was a house, not a trailer, or is it the trailer that you have the problem with? There were also trailers in my former location.

I think you're making something out of nothing.
Exactly. And all because the OP doesn't understand the 15 year old concept of PUD's - Planned Urban Developments. Just because it's a concept he's not familiar with (basically, pedestrian friendly areas meant to RESEMBLE high density city life in suburban areas) he ASSUMES there must be some kind of fraud in the advertizing or that many of us who live in these kinds of developments think we are really in an urban area. We have explained that we ALL know this is a rural area but he just wants to continue to cut the city down. WHAT IS THE POINT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 09:11 AM
 
1,158 posts, read 2,312,690 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Exactly. And all because the OP doesn't understand the 15 year old concept of PUD's - Planned Urban Developments. Just because it's a concept he's not familiar with (basically, pedestrian friendly areas meant to RESEMBLE high density city life in suburban areas) he ASSUMES there must be some kind of fraud in the advertizing or that many of us who live in these kinds of developments think we are really in an urban area. We have explained that we ALL know this is a rural area but he just wants to continue to cut the city down. WHAT IS THE POINT?

FUNNY- the OP doesn't understand. Please look up PUD. It's not a Planned Urban Development. It's Planned Unit Development. I was an underwriter in my former life so I understand real estate very well and the area is rural to suburban. NOT UBRAN. In fact evey apprisal has section where the area must be defined; Rural, Suburban, Urban. This is based on USAP Standards.

Me thinks you may not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 AM
 
1,158 posts, read 2,312,690 times
Reputation: 551
Please wiki PUD.
Who's adding value to this conversation/thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 AM
 
1,158 posts, read 2,312,690 times
Reputation: 551
Planned unit development (PUD)

A type of ownership where a unit or the whole building is owned by an individual who lives in it and where the ownership of common spaces is shared by other members of the homeowner's association for the benefit of all owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,808 posts, read 5,861,491 times
Reputation: 748
Could it be that "PUD" has more than one definition?

I Googled "PUD" and came up with "planned unit development", as mrdkb says.

I also Googled "Planned Urban Development" and came up with many results with "PUD" as the acronym, as lovesmountains says.

Are we just mincing words on this thread? Not sure about the point anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 10:32 AM
 
1,158 posts, read 2,312,690 times
Reputation: 551
Trust me - I was an underwriter for both residential and commerical mortgages. A Pud is a Planned Unit Development
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Reputation: 39851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Trust me - I was an underwriter for both residential and commerical mortgages. A Pud is a Planned Unit Development
Meaning you REALLY did already understand the answer to your own questions and starting this thread was simply an attempt to entice folks into arguments by bad mouthing Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 02:10 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Reputation: 22371
As I said earlier . . . this has all come down to semantics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,111,325 times
Reputation: 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Trust me - I was an underwriter for both residential and commerical mortgages. A Pud is a Planned Unit Development
Well, I AM an underwriter. Yes, a PUD is a planned unit development. side note: Loves, they don't *have* to have sidewalks to be a PUD. I agree, a PUD is most likely not urban the way that most people from large cities define "urban". In fact, I chuckle when I see appraisers write that the property is "urban" when it is just in a PUD....

That being said, there are a LOT of definitions of "urban" out there. Don't know that there is a hard/fast rule. In my mind, there is very little, if anything that might be described as "urban" in Charlotte (maybe the downtown area) as the word connotates (in my mind anyway) living somewhere where you don't need a car to live, that there are a lot of people living in a very dense area, with shops, stores, etc. readily available and public transportation if you want to get out of the immediate neighbourhood. But, the advertising people have taken all sorts of words and stretched them to believe what they want to in order to make sales. "false advertising"..no..poetic license, maybe... Is this worth arguing over? I hardly think so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:28 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top