U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,449,442 times
Here's another Birkdale/Birkdale Village Homes for Sale, Lake Norman Real Estate Agent, Realtor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

43,335 posts, read 51,875,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
One of the newest concepts in development is "Urban-Suburban". Birkdale would fall into this category. The idea is to offer urban type amenities without many of the negatives that come with living in an urban environment.

Some of the urban type concepts:
  • tight living quarters, row houses, townhouses, small yards, densly populated areas
  • restaurants and retail within walking distance
  • Ofiice buildings and medical offices on or near the development
  • Entertainment, ect.
Baxter and Blakeney would be other examples of this type of development. It's all about convenience and walkability.

I knida look at it like a fake spray tan...you get tan..without the harmful side effects of the sun...

The proper term is PUDS - Planned Urban Developments

And you are right. They are areas in suburbia meant to encourage higher density among retailers and residents - a "green" concept. Certain developments like you mentioned, Baxter, Birkdale, are built to give that old main street city feel - where you can get to everything you need on foot from home. No one is fooled that these are really urban areas, but many of us do agree with the concept

21,687 posts, read 37,080,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Are you from the South? I am guessing not, cause here - if it isn't rural, then it must be urban.

As for your comment about trailers and flags . . . don't even start w/ the stereotypes.
But it the truth I dont get the connection this has to do with urban but I can think of four homes with Confederate flags within a mile of Birkdale but not like that is a bad thing just a transplant perception

I guess Urban is different kinda like Charlotte is and isnt cosmopolitan

Old 01-15-2009, 12:14 PM

and another
Birkdale Village: Information from Answers.com

Old 01-15-2009, 12:15 PM

890 posts, read 2,039,470 times
Birkdale urban? Urban-esque maybe but not urban. It is a destination/community built upon the concept of New Urbanism. New Urbanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 PM

43,335 posts, read 51,875,219 times
I think you just misunderstood what was being described.

From this article: "urban lifestyle center" is what they called Birkdale, meaning pedestrian friendly - not truly urban.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 PM

2,447 posts, read 4,479,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Yesterday, I visited Birkdale Village and thought is was nice, family shopping area. However, I noticed many real estate agents defining this area - and others like it in Charlotte - as "Urban". What is so urban? IMO these areas are essentially former rural areas, now populated by bland, mostly cheap looking/built homes, and typical retail stores. Urban suggest area's where minorities moved into after whites moved out. Urban also suggest hip, cool, cuitting edge, city.

Case in point, a few miles down the street from Birkdale village there are trailer homes - some with confederate flags.
I've never heard Birkdale described as urban. Also, Birkdale isn't in Charlotte. It's in Huntersville which is a small (yet growing) suburb of Charlotte. We actually have a regular poster here named urbancharlotte. He loves to document the urban areas of Charlotte.

Here is a recent post with links to his youtube videos.

UrbanCharlotte's Videos

Old 01-15-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Birkdale urban? Urban-esque maybe but not urban. It is a destination/community built upon the concept of New Urbanism. New Urbanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New Urbanism - that's funny. Kind of like Elvis inventing rock and roll. This is why Charlotte is not considered a city but a big town. A nice town - but a town nonetheless

Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 PM

21,687 posts, read 37,080,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
New Urbanism - that's funny. Kind of like Elvis inventing rock and roll. This is why Charlotte is not considered a city but a big town. A nice town - but a town nonetheless

Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM

I just dislike false advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte