U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:36 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Some have said that while they appreciate these old photos, they still like the way uptown now looks. I disagree. I think that the city of Charlotte would be a lot more interesting if these lovely old buildings still existed. Loves, this is what I was talking about in another post a few weeks ago. I think that it is just so tragic that we have lost these gems of architecture, and, with them, important pieces of Charlotte's history.
But what you have to remember Chi is that by the time those buildings were torn down in the 80's and 90's they were in many cases derelict and not worth saving!

In fact, some were looked at for potential salvaging but deemed not worthy. The people of Charlotte would have needed a different mindset and understanding of conservation issues back in the 50's and 60's to salvage all those lovely buildings in those great pics.

Sure it's a shame they didn't have that, but I challenge you to show me how many small towns back in the 50's and 60's DID? Historical conservation is something that just did not exist in places like Charlotte prior to the most recent decades.

Though as a lover of history myself, I agree that it would be so nice to have some of these buildings still standing today in Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:48 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But what you have to remember Chi is that by the time those buildings were torn down in the 80's and 90's they were in many cases derelict and not worth saving!

In fact, some were looked at for potential salvaging but deemed not worthy. The people of Charlotte would have needed a different mindset and understanding of conservation issues back in the 50's and 60's to salvage all those lovely buildings in those great pics.

Sure it's a shame they didn't have that, but I challenge you to show me how many small towns back in the 50's and 60's DID? Historical conservation is something that just did not exist in places like Charlotte prior to the most recent decades.

Though as a lover of history myself, I agree that it would be so nice to have some of these buildings still standing today in Charlotte
Well, obviously, I cannot speak about Charlotte, as I did not live here then. And, honestly, any debate over the issue is pointless anyway. So, all I will say is that I just think that it is so sad; not only for the people of Charlotte, but for all of us newcomers who, I think, would have appreciated the history that was here.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Well, obviously, I cannot speak about Charlotte, as I did not live here then. And, honestly, any debate over the issue is pointless anyway. So, all I will say is that I just think that it is so sad; not only for the people of Charlotte, but for all of us newcomers who, I think, would have appreciated the history that was here.
To see cities with historical architecture in abundance you really have to go to Charleston, New Orleans, Chicago, Pittsburgh, San Fran, Baltimore, Boston...all the great OLD cities - Charlotte really is a NEW South city .

Old 01-20-2009, 07:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
Quote:
To see cities with historical architecture in abundance you really have to go to Charleston, New Orleans, Chicago, Pittsburgh, San Fran, Baltimore, Boston...all the great OLD cities - Charlotte really is a NEW South city .
Dont forget my favorite in this state Greensboro North Carolina and Savannah Georgia

Quote:
I guess it in the eye of the beholder from a distance Charlotte looks new but once you walk the streets you will see alot of old architecture that is blended nicely between the two.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
Quote:
Growing up in Chicago , I developed this taste for old architecture. Have been to Charleston (oh, I love Charleston), Savannah, (yes, Sunny), Baltimore, Beaufort, SC, Beaufort, NC, St. Augustine, FL, Philadelphia, Lancaster, PA, London, (UK) Moscow (Russia) .This summer, I hope to go to Beijing. I am the weirdo who goes on vacation to look at all the old architecture and learn the history of the area! (no laying on beaches for more that just one day for me!)

Have not yet been to Boston, New Orleans or Pittsburgh. My son says that CT is wonderful, too. Lots of architecture left to see!!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Oh, lordy . . . by the 60s, even, Charlotte had buildings wh/ were in such a mess - So things got knocked down and in most cases, it was good riddance when it happened. Same for the 70s and 80s . . . everything was in such a bad state from electrical to sewer and water . . . it was just impossible to retrofit. Plus, most of the land was a lot better suited to build taller buildings (density was more appropriate than a three story building) and so things were torn down. And don't forget - certain areas had growth potential, such as w/ CPCC, so other stuff had to come down to make way for very much needed buildings. Things were retrofitted when it could be done and still meet the end goal w/ space needs . . .

Today, we look at buildings that are two and three stories high and think how charming they were - but the fact is - when the city grew, we needed to go UP on that land and 3 stories just wasn't gonna get it.

I am very into preservation . . . but truly . . . Charlotte had to grow UP and there was no way to do this but wipe out the derelict 2-3 story buildings that sat on those plats of land.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Growing up in Chicago , I developed this taste for old architecture. Have been to Charleston (oh, I love Charleston), Savannah, (yes, Sunny), Baltimore, Beaufort, SC, Beaufort, NC, St. Augustine, FL, Philadelphia, Lancaster, PA, London, (UK) Moscow (Russia) .This summer, I hope to go to Beijing. I am the weirdo who goes on vacation to look at all the old architecture and learn the history of the area! (no laying on beaches for more that just one day for me!)

Have not yet been to Boston, New Orleans or Pittsburgh. My son says that CT is wonderful, too. Lots of architecture left to see!!
OHMYGOSH, GO to Pittsburgh - it's only an 8 hour drive, you can do it on a long weekend. You would be enthralled by all the architecture and history there. There really is so much to do. We went last year and I was shocked. They actually have cobble stone streets and funiculars on their hillsides!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:

Ohhhhh . . . then you might like the 18th C homes dotted all over Virginia! Gosh, I so enjoy these structures. James River Plantations . . . And you gotta go to Boston. I have not done Moscow - St. Petersburg is on the list, tho!!! Gotta see that architecture!!! But all the other places on your list - yes - love the buildings - and the cathedrals, too. Don't forget the cathedrals!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 PM

CB - what a great collection on JCSU!!! Those would be neat re-done in sepia for an antique look. I especially like the football team picture!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM

Had to mess w/ that football team photo . . .

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte