U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 03:22 PM

35 posts, read 82,459 times

Advertisements

I sent you a private message in response to your search in Union County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 03:23 PM

111 posts, read 493,083 times
agree with comments from dawnw. weddington/waxhaw i think is your best bet. the sanctuary is nice too. if you go into gaston county, on the lake check out mystic waters, very nice gated community. <EDIT> thanks!

Last edited by xxman777; 03-12-2007 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 03-10-2007, 12:12 AM

473 posts, read 1,451,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
We're thinking about relocating to South Charlotte (husband would travel to various clients in Charlotte and outside states so needs a good airport for domestic travel). We'd like a 5 bed home, half acre or so, in very upscale community. Does $700k get anything decent in the South Charlotte areas? I looked at Ballantyne, for example, and the planned communities look not very good, older houses, smaller homes.

Something like The Governor's Club in Chapel Hill - that's more what we're looking for, but I don't see anything like that in South Charlotte. The stats say 75% of NASCAR employees and drivers live within two hours of Charlotte. Does that mean the most upscale communities are not in So Charlotte?

Thanks in advance!
If I had that kind of money, I'd be up around Birkdale but that's Huntersville...

Old 03-10-2007, 07:34 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,376,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston2000 View Post
You might want to take a look at The Palisades at Lake Wylie.
I second that, especially if your husband wants to be near the airport.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:54 AM

348 posts, read 317,912 times
Providence Country Club in South Charlotte. Golf course/country club community, if you are so inclined to join. Very convenient just minutes off of 485, and about 20 minutes from the airport. Also, best school in Mecklenburg county.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:11 AM

12 posts, read 30,907 times
I live in South Charlotte-Union county. Our community is Marvin Creek a toll brothers community. The amenities here are unbelievable. The people are awesome. The homes are made well. All brick homes in 3 collections. Carolina, executive and estates. The homes start in the 500's and go to over $100,000,000. We love it here. The elementary school Marvin is like a private school. Unfortuanetley we have to sell our home. My husband is getting transfered back to FL. We are so unhappy about that. This was our dream home and neighborhood. Our house is in the Carolina Collection. Was built in Dec. 2006 and we closed in January. It is the Ellsworth model. We have 4 bedrooms, 3 and 1/2 baths, office, huge bonus room , huge master, . ..68 acre lot, upgraded kitchen with granite, all wood floors. Our home is absoluteley beautiful!!!!!! We are the lowest price and the only resale for the Carolina Collection in Marvin Creek. We are asking $585. If interested let me know. You will love it here!!!!!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 10:20 AM

4,299 posts, read 13,623,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niknaxx View Post
If I had that kind of money, I'd be up around Birkdale but that's Huntersville...

Me too! I'd be running to River Run

Old 03-10-2007, 05:11 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,150,499 times
Did you mean to say over 100 Million?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimianne View Post
I live in South Charlotte-Union county. Our community is Marvin Creek a toll brothers community. The amenities here are unbelievable. The people are awesome. The homes are made well. All brick homes in 3 collections. Carolina, executive and estates. The homes start in the 500's and go to over $100,000,000. We love it here. The elementary school Marvin is like a private school. Unfortuanetley we have to sell our home. My husband is getting transfered back to FL. We are so unhappy about that. This was our dream home and neighborhood. Our house is in the Carolina Collection. Was built in Dec. 2006 and we closed in January. It is the Ellsworth model. We have 4 bedrooms, 3 and 1/2 baths, office, huge bonus room , huge master, . ..68 acre lot, upgraded kitchen with granite, all wood floors. Our home is absoluteley beautiful!!!!!! We are the lowest price and the only resale for the Carolina Collection in Marvin Creek. We are asking $585. If interested let me know. You will love it here!!!!!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 06:21 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,687,886 times
Ballantyne Country Club, Kensington at Ballantyne, Providence Country Club and Piper Glen are just a few. There are a number of upscale communities in South Charlotte in your price range. If you'd like to do a Property Search, you may access my website (under my profile) and enter your criteria. Let me know if I can help.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:37 AM

478 posts, read 1,878,382 times
Default You all are stars, thank you!

Thank you all for all the help! I've been very busy looking up all the areas mentioned and I do appreciate the offers for home buying assistance.

My husband is seeing nearly identical properties for say, $200k less than the 'upscale' country club communities. So he's wondering, 'why pay $600 when I can pay $500k and spend the rest on decorating, furniture, etc?'

But that makes me nervous, as I feel these homes are priced for the area and quality (or lack thereof) of schooling.

As far as 'amenities' (new concept for us), when a home in say, Lake Wylie on The Landing reads, 'Amenities: lake, playground, pool, clubhouse' is that crap amenities? Compared with some of the areas in Ballantyne with a massive country club, spa, nearby shopping, recreation director, whatever, seems like the Lake Wylie amenities aren't so good.

Thinking aloud here, but is there a big class difference between those outside of the upscale subdivisions, with the country clubs, and those in them? I'm not keen to peer through the gates of the great communities and try to get us an invitational membership! But my husband wants to make sure our home value stays, even if there is a recession in the U.S. and the housing market (including new home building) tanks.

Though the only problem I see with falling home value, if one is living in that home, is negative equity, which means one cannot re-fi. If we plan to be in a home for 10-15 years, then a recession won't matter too much, providing he has a good income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or