U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:58 AM

4,097 posts, read 10,177,401 times

Advertisements

I would strongly suggest getting a realtor and looking for yourself. Recommendations are good, but to get a feel for the place and what you really want, I would look at it for yourself.

It took our realtor a good several days to really understand what we wanted.

BTW: Our area has increased in value quite a bit even since we moved in 18 months ago. We are in Marvin.

Have you looked at Mecklenberg Schools site and Union County Schools site to see which schools you might want? Are you interested in private schools? These are all imp when looking as well, even if you don't use to public schools in your area, they are good for resale value.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
Thank you all for all the help! I've been very busy looking up all the areas mentioned and I do appreciate the offers for home buying assistance.

My husband is seeing nearly identical properties for say, $200k less than the 'upscale' country club communities. So he's wondering, 'why pay $600 when I can pay $500k and spend the rest on decorating, furniture, etc?'

But that makes me nervous, as I feel these homes are priced for the area and quality (or lack thereof) of schooling.

As far as 'amenities' (new concept for us), when a home in say, Lake Wylie on The Landing reads, 'Amenities: lake, playground, pool, clubhouse' is that crap amenities? Compared with some of the areas in Ballantyne with a massive country club, spa, nearby shopping, recreation director, whatever, seems like the Lake Wylie amenities aren't so good.

Thinking aloud here, but is there a big class difference between those outside of the upscale subdivisions, with the country clubs, and those in them? I'm not keen to peer through the gates of the great communities and try to get us an invitational membership! But my husband wants to make sure our home value stays, even if there is a recession in the U.S. and the housing market (including new home building) tanks.

Though the only problem I see with falling home value, if one is living in that home, is negative equity, which means one cannot re-fi. If we plan to be in a home for 10-15 years, then a recession won't matter too much, providing he has a good income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 07:08 AM

478 posts, read 1,881,600 times
Good points. My husband should be contacting a realtor soon, and we have a relocation agent working for us as well. He'll be seeing the areas in two weeks time. We live in England, not sure how not having a U.S. address works for schools. When I try to complete the Magnet Compacts for Mecklenburg School District, for example, I need a U.S. address.

I'll be ringing the schools tomorrow, to learn about possible overcrowding and how we can get on waiting lists when we aren't living in the area yet.

As of right now, I favour the Union County area (for taxes, to start with!) and schooling. Weddington schools look excellent, but we also liked the Montessori options (like Chantilly) in Mecklenburg.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:55 AM

58 posts, read 198,973 times
Quote:
We're thinking about relocating to South Charlotte (husband would travel to various clients in Charlotte and outside states so needs a good airport for domestic travel). We'd like a 5 bed home, half acre or so, in very upscale community. Does $700k get anything decent in the South Charlotte areas? I looked at Ballantyne, for example, and the planned communities look not very good, older houses, smaller homes.

Something like The Governor's Club in Chapel Hill - that's more what we're looking for, but I don't see anything like that in South Charlotte. The stats say 75% of NASCAR employees and drivers live within two hours of Charlotte. Does that mean the most upscale communities are not in So Charlotte?

Thanks in advance!
Probably 2 very nice houses!!!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:20 PM

4,097 posts, read 10,177,401 times
I think you actually need to live at the physical address to register to enroll for any schools. You need to show proof of residency with a gas bill or mortgage bill from what I understand. So I don't think you can do much about schools until you get here and get settled.

Dawn

Quote:
Good points. My husband should be contacting a realtor soon, and we have a relocation agent working for us as well. He'll be seeing the areas in two weeks time. We live in England, not sure how not having a U.S. address works for schools. When I try to complete the Magnet Compacts for Mecklenburg School District, for example, I need a U.S. address.

I'll be ringing the schools tomorrow, to learn about possible overcrowding and how we can get on waiting lists when we aren't living in the area yet.

As of right now, I favour the Union County area (for taxes, to start with!) and schooling. Weddington schools look excellent, but we also liked the Montessori options (like Chantilly) in Mecklenburg.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:54 PM

23 posts, read 111,830 times
Default CMS charter/magnet enrollment

There is also a form buried deep within the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools website which is an "intention to enroll" -- for people who are planning to move but are not yet here or have a temporary address (e.g., an apartment while looking for a house) but intend to be located within a particular school district. I think it is only good for the first 30 days or so of the school year...you would need to contact CMS directly for more information as I don't remember the exact details.

It is my understanding that you must have a current North Carolina address to even apply for a magnet or charter school (vs. just be a resident by the time school starts in the fall). There may be openings in some schools if there is not a wait list once you move. Once you get here you could apply for the following year, but watch the CMS website/newspaper for the magnet programs as the deadlines are scheduled early in the school year prior to the year you would like to enroll. Charter schools all have their own schedules, and The League of Charter School for North Carolina has a list of all the schools in the state with contact information and websites. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:12 PM

113 posts, read 408,488 times
No all you need is a contract to register in schools. But the magnet deadline has passed fo the 2007-8 school year.

And it is possible to try anddo too much shopping on the Intenet. many of your questions are purely subjective questions, ask 100 people and get 100 different answers.

I'm a Realtor that deals almost exlcusively with relcoation. Ihave an online relocation guide where you can see manyof these communities for your self, inslide show form. Visit it at removed, it was created to answer exactly the questions you have in mind.

terry

Last edited by Marka; 04-20-2007 at 06:14 AM..

Old 03-19-2007, 12:58 AM

549 posts, read 2,190,616 times
Hello
There is a really chic upscale community in South Park called "Heydon Hall". The neighborhood evokes the genteel charm of established Charlotte neighborhoods of Myers Park and Eastover. They are costume homes built by Simonini starting in the 600's and up to 1 mil+. With their three groups of homes starting with 60 foot "The Park Collection" homes are situated on 60 foot wide homesites. "The Pavilion Collection" homes are situated on 80 foot wide homesites. Finally the "Promenade Collection" homes sit in the largest 100 foot wide homesites. Some of these Promenade estates over the green square ( the gazebos are so pretty) in the entrance. If you have the time you try to stop by the community Lynn is wonderful.
www.simonini.com
http://homes.point2.com/Photo/GeoAreaExpert/2006-05-04/209326/2-Gallery.jpg (broken link)

http://homes.point2.com/Photo/GeoAreaExpert/2006-05-04/209326/3-Gallery.jpg (broken link)

www.cunnanegroup.com
Ardrey is another south charlotte community that is also cute as bottom full of charm. A neighborhood being built by the Cunnane Group . The homes have a very destinct 19th Southern century period look. You can find so many styles ranging from the grand French Empire and Second Empire homes found in theGarden district in New Orleans.

Maybe you prefer the Queen Anne Victorian

or cozy up in one of their Garden home.

The frontporch over porch Charleston style should make you feel like a aristocratic debutante.

If your the folksy type the really quaint "arts & craft" homes should capture your heart.

Cunnane's prices for this lovely enclave of homes ranges from the 400's to the high 600's. Even though they are not costume home builder, every detail one can possibly think of in creating these homes are topnotch and authentic despite having a very traditional look from the outside.

Nevertheless the floorplans are just wonderfully excecuted and have an excellent modern/traditional flow.

The builder really also has added lots of nice features to this neighborhood giving it a lovely lived in feel. Last time I was there there were so many people with their pets and kids outside enjoying the number of parks

and little pocket parks throughtout the community. My favorite one is the one that there are lots of trees in the middle of street reminiscent of Queens Road.

Sprinkled with period looking lamp posts and decorative items like fountains, banners.

Driving by it is a joy. They also have come up with another community next to it called "Adrey Commons" with lower price points but just as pretty. It is 2 miles of in Ardrey Kell Rd485 and in desriable the Ballantyne area. Worth checking out!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:03 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,556,478 times
Quote:

I believe that in Union County you can enroll in the schools as long as you have a signed contract for a home. I think they charge a "tuition" if you do this (since you are not yet paying county taxes). I would check with the schools to verify this. Best of luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or