U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:54 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,990,932 times

Advertisements

Well, here it is ya'll. I think Pep is the first of MANY more to come. The Panthers are not the Superbowl team many of us thought they were and now the good players want out. I think it is time to bench Jake and save this team. What do you guys think?
Peppers wants out | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/478863.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 04:08 AM

26 posts, read 54,860 times
wow! talk about a fair weather fan. i'm not even a panthers fan, but i do work at all the games and panther fans really suck. i can actually make a phone call during the game! they were 8-0 at home and won the south division. one loss in the playoffs to a very hot team and you want to start all over? do you even remember the panthers record last year? yikes!

Old 01-17-2009, 04:24 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,751,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridow View Post
wow! talk about a fair weather fan. i'm not even a panthers fan, but i do work at all the games and panther fans really suck. i can actually make a phone call during the game! they were 8-0 at home and won the south division. one loss in the playoffs to a very hot team and you want to start all over? do you even remember the panthers record last year? yikes!
Oh I wouldn't say the Panthers fans suck. The Panthers franchise is still young compared to older teams like the Steelers, Packers, Jets, etc. Those teams have generations of fans that grew up around the team.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:14 AM

807 posts, read 2,041,608 times
I hope he doesn't leave, I just spent 40 dollars on his jersey for my 3 yr old. He now thinks he is JP. How am I going to explain this one to him next year? Poor me.

Give the team some time to build a following. I'm pushing my kids to become Panther fans and I've become one myself. (give me any reason to leave the Jets, I'm in hell)

How many cities could you move into and right a way pull for the home team? Charlotte is one for me, maybe Jacksonville, Arizona, Green Bay, San Diego, not many others.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:20 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,271,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
I hope he doesn't leave, I just spent 40 dollars on his jersey for my 3 yr old. He now thinks he is JP. How am I going to explain this one to him next year? Poor me.

Those of us who have bought jerseys with player names on them will never do that again. Ever. Just for that reason, too.

First jersey I ever got was a number 28 Sandstrom Jersey, at the time my favorite New York Ranger. Got it in November. I wore it to a game in December where I sat in back of a few Los Angeles Kings team scouts. By that January he was traded to Los Angeles just before the all star break. I got one other jersey and he lasted a little while but again, a name on a jersey of a player who would soon be gone from the team. I'd rather just get the jersey with nothing on the back. They can't trade me (even though I think subliminally my sports teams attempt to do so).

Old 01-17-2009, 07:12 AM
QCP

185 posts, read 464,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridow View Post
I am so sick of bullsh#t comments like this. Let me guess, you moved down here from (fill in the blank) and the fan base is so much better there. Give me a break. You live in Charlotte, why are you not a Panthers fan? You are part of the problem!

ANY team that lost the way they did last week would have there fans up in arms. Look around the league, look at all the jobs being lost, are you really stupid enough to think it's only a situation the Panthers are dealing with. I'm a die hard Panthers fan and I too am pissed about the performance. Losing is one thing, but the way they lost was ridiculous. It's called accountability.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:28 AM
QCP

185 posts, read 464,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Well, here it is ya'll. I think Pep is the first of MANY more to come. The Panthers are not the Superbowl team many of us thought they were and now the good players want out. I think it is time to bench Jake and save this team. What do you guys think?
Peppers wants out | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/478863.html - broken link)
Don't jump just yet. There is no such thing as a bad 12-4 team.

Okay, you bench Jake...who's in? The second string quarterback is always everyone's favorite player...until he becomes the starter...then we quickly realize why he was second string. Yes, he played horribly last week...as bad as you could possibly play. But until we have other options, he has to be the man. Truth is, there are very few upgrades throughout the league. Most experts would have a hard time coming up with 10 QB's they'd rather have than Jake. Those 10 are very rarely available. Just saying...

As for Peppers...goodbye. He has underachieved more than any other Panther in history with the exception of maybe Shaun Gilbert. He has elite ability, but he is NOT an elite player. He lacks drive, motivation and any effort whatsoever. I believe he wants out because he's tired of being called out on it. He'll go somewhere else and get treated like a King for a season, and then they will see the same thing we have seen for seven years.

Other players wanting out? I doubt it. I think it's an isolated problem with Pep. Truthfully, what I gather is that most of the lockerroom actually feels the same about him as I stated in the paragraph above. They can get 3 or 4 good players for the salary he will demand.

Lucas will probably go as well, but I think that is more of an organizational desire.

Anyways, I honestly think we have a chance to be just as good, if not better next year...IF WE FIRE MIKE TRGOVAK!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:18 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,990,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCP View Post
Don't jump just yet. There is no such thing as a bad 12-4 team.

Okay, you bench Jake...who's in? The second string quarterback is always everyone's favorite player...until he becomes the starter...then we quickly realize why he was second string. Yes, he played horribly last week...as bad as you could possibly play. But until we have other options, he has to be the man. Truth is, there are very few upgrades throughout the league. Most experts would have a hard time coming up with 10 QB's they'd rather have than Jake. Those 10 are very rarely available. Just saying...
This is true, but I think most folks missed the point of this thread. I think PLAYERS (like Peppers) want to be here if Jake was gone. That is what I truly think is up with Pep. If the players have lost confidence in Jake, then it is time to give someone else the chance to be starting QB this summer. All good QBs have had games similar to Jake's last game. Heck, even Elway threw several interceptions in a Superbowl against San Fran. I just think the team as a whole might be in danger if more of our better players decide to move on because they don't see Carolina as a Superbowl team. If more players like Pep come out this spring and say "I want out" then we have to assume that Fox, Jake, or Hurney is the problem. Maybe all three. I am a big Panthers fan BTW. But I have NEVER been a fan of Jake. The Suberbowl against New England was the last time I had confidence in Jake. Well, that was 6 years ago. Every since then, his passes look like a duck that just got shot. Steve Smith makes him look good. Period.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:30 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,658,411 times
I always though JD was the weak link, not many QBs have the talent around him like he does. He doesn't have the arm strength. I was suprized they didn't give attention to this position in the off season as you have your starter coming of elbow surgery. They should draft or find a veteran QB. Since I am a Browns season ticket holder (living in CLT), for selfish reasons I'd like to see Panthers go after Derek Anderson, head stretch out the field....

Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,163,593 times
[quote=BrianH1970;7037468]Those of us who have bought jerseys with player names on them will never do that again. Ever. Just for that reason, too.

QUOTE]

Hey! DH still proudly wears his #56 Giants jersey, and yes, it has a name sewn on the back.
Not sure what he sees in that coke-head.
Then again, I'm glad the season is over...no more screaming at the television!

We did just recently purchase a J. Peppers jersey for a relative in NJ, who is a collector of memorabilia. Maybe it'll be valuable some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or