U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-17-2009, 09:17 PM

496 posts, read 1,131,685 times
I would like to comment about Mallard Creek HS (any Char-Meck school), please people....look at the "Free and Reduced Lunch" percentage, not just the "Race" percentage. My two kids go to MCHS and we've have nothing but positive things to say about it. The teachers and staff are awesome.

Additionally, we moved into this area 10 1/2 years ago and we love it. Crime happens EVERYWHERE.....yes even in Ballantyne, Southpark, West Charlotte, East Charlotte, Mooresville and the Northeast/University area. It's sad but true, these days you have to look out for you wherever you go, or stay - in your own home.

The economy is not helping the businesses (in any area). Restaurants are closing down because they can't operate when the customer base has decreased. Even NASCAR has been affected. You can't say that places are closing because the area is a bad area.

(just reported on wbtv news at 11:00 1/17/09) "9 armed robberies in 2 hours" last night . NONE of these were in the University/North area, they were in South Charlotte, Southeast and Southwest Charlotte. Now, yes this was just one night, but just thought I'd mention it, since I was responding to this and it just happened to air.

Have a safe night everyone!!!! Going night night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-17-2009, 09:59 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,386,947 times
Crime in Charlotte? Not possible

Unread 01-18-2009, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,021 times
I live in the UC area because I go to UNCC. I have to say...I can't wait to get out of here. This place is terrible. You need to watch your back every where you go. I agree that crime is every where in Charlotte, but there are certain parts where you see it more. My parents live in Waxhaw, and down there I don't get a scared feeling when I go out as I do here in UC. It's definitely a different feel. However, one only positive note for the future is UNCC. The school is ever-growing and with the addition of a football team maybe that area will change. But for right now, I would never tell someone to live there. Maybe I should invest in a concealed weapons permit for the remaining two semesters I have here.

Unread 01-18-2009, 12:44 PM

2,156 posts, read 2,258,839 times
You have got to be kidding me. I ive in the area. I believe off the same street at one of the pp. Scary? Carrying a gun??

This is a joke, right??

Unread 01-18-2009, 12:59 PM

34,056 posts, read 38,228,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
You have got to be kidding me. I ive in the area. I believe off the same street at one of the pp. Scary? Carrying a gun??

This is a joke, right??
No, I have heard other people say this - and then I have heard as many say what you just expressed - that this is NOT their experience!

I have often wondered - is it specific apartment complexes that have a lot of criminal activity going on or what? Baybook, do you have any insight? I know cars get broken into, and that is awful, but it isn't like drive-by shootings.

Unread 01-18-2009, 01:11 PM

7,042 posts, read 7,953,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No, I have heard other people say this - and then I have heard as many say what you just expressed - that this is NOT their experience!

I have often wondered - is it specific apartment complexes that have a lot of criminal activity going on or what? Baybook, do you have any insight? I know cars get broken into, and that is awful, but it isn't like drive-by shootings.
I think that "scary" is in the eye of the beholder.

That being said, if you are used to a quiet, small-town atmosphere (like Waxhaw, perhaps), I guess that I could see how the hustle-and-bustle of UC could be scary. And, yes, the media does portray a lot of the crime in the area as being a predominant thing...but...

I have lived up here since 2000. Now, it's not perfect by any stretch and we have had our share of issues even in Faires Farms where I live. But, "scary"...not by any means. Keeping alert, taking precautions, yes. I have lived in far, far worse. Then again, I am from Chicago so these things don't freak me out. It is busy here. There is a lot going on all the time. Maybe sometimes the thugs notice people that are kind of on edge because of the "perception" and target them. That is actually a proven statistic.
If you appear confident and like you know what is going on, usually you are not bothered.

There are certain apartments that are a bit dodgy, Ani, but, you just stay away from them. And, I agree with others...there is a bright future for the area, we have so much going for us, location, location, location...

I love it up here in UC and would not move anywhere else....

Unread 01-18-2009, 01:16 PM

34,056 posts, read 38,228,125 times
I think there is a bright future for the area, as well. That makes sense, CHI, that there may be things at certain apartments and locations that one should avoid. Now, I would think if you had no clue that those were potential "trouble spots" and ended up being a victim (car broken into, mugged, etc) then that would be a huge shock and very troubling. I guess being forewarned is the key.

With the University . . . that area has too much potential for it to go "down" . . .

Unread 01-18-2009, 01:30 PM

2,156 posts, read 2,258,839 times
I have no idea. I take classes at UNCC and have lived here for 4 years. I honestly don't know what or where people are hanging out to be sooo afraid. I don't hang out in bars late at night so maybe I am missing all the action.

Unread 01-18-2009, 02:02 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,040,337 times
I lived in the West WT Harris area in a gated community in a townhouse near Davis Lake for a couple years before moving to South Charlotte near Dilworth a few months ago. I miss the convenience of the area. Where I am now, traffic is thick and you drive a little farther for things. In UC, the post office, 7 restaurants, a grocery store, drug store, barber shop, movie rental, etc, was in the same place right across the street. This area is densely populated, and the shopping centers are spread out more, but there are many more things to do when you get to one. I liked UC okay, very diverse and growing. BUT the vinyl villages and crime are on the rise. I think the area especially directly around the university and Northlake have good times ahead. There are the pockets, though, that will be like Eastland someday, but not UC as a whole. It is a good area to live in for people moving to CLT to learn the city and decide where to settle down permanently.

Unread 01-18-2009, 04:51 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,561,887 times
Either my rose-tinted glasses are too tinted, or I've completely missed the boat on the definition of the University City area. If we're all talking about this area, then I'm dumbfounded at how some of these opinions are being formed. Have some of grown up in a real-life Pleasantville, USA or something? University City is on par (and in my opinion, far better) than all other typical suburban locales across the east coast. Maybe Florida jaded me too badly to see the truth or something...but I think the area is fantastic. Obviously enough so to buy a house and plan on settling here for the next 10+ years.

I know, I know...to each their own...and everyone's entitled to their fair (and hopefully honest) opinion. But I'm reading things here that make me think the authors of the posts lived off I-85 & Beatties Ford! If this area toubles you, then you're in for a rude awakening by moving to another part of the city thinking you're going to get away from it.

I'll try to step down off of my UC Soap Box now...but please, let's keep the complete horror stories limited to the areas that specifically warrant them...not the areas that provide an affordable lifestyle without sacrificing quality or having to paint on an image of someone you're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte