Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 AM

620 posts, read 2,118,685 times

Advertisements

They need to expand downtown Waxhaw. A developer with some vision should construct some buildings with older materials to blend in with the older buildings already there and lease them out to mom-and-pop places. Downtown Waxhaw is pretty small - its nothing great compared to other towns I have seen. They need to focus on creating a downtown master plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 11:51 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
They need to expand downtown Waxhaw. A developer with some vision should construct some buildings with older materials to blend in with the older buildings already there and lease them out to mom-and-pop places. Downtown Waxhaw is pretty small - its nothing great compared to other towns I have seen. They need to focus on creating a downtown master plan.
Great post! Does Waxhaw even have a masterplan? How do we "vote" for something like that, or at least put it into motion?
I do like the look of downtown Waxhaw. It's very historical looking. I don't think any kind of "modern" architecture has a place there. If there is any expansion, it should be in keeping with the current historical architecture.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:47 PM

138 posts, read 413,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
I heard rumor of of a Starbucks coming to the Cureton Shopping center!
I heard that rumor also (in February), however I have not seen/heard anything since.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:01 PM

197 posts, read 735,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Great post! Does Waxhaw even have a masterplan? How do we "vote" for something like that, or at least put it into motion?
I do like the look of downtown Waxhaw. It's very historical looking. I don't think any kind of "modern" architecture has a place there. If there is any expansion, it should be in keeping with the current historical architecture.
they did a town survey last year and many, many people expressed their desire for an overall plan in the survey and in town meetings but the commisioners can't get it together to create one

Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmspeep View Post
they did a town survey last year and many, many people expressed their desire for an overall plan in the survey and in town meetings but the commisioners can't get it together to create one
Are they all at odds? Or why can't they get it together? Maybe it's a financial issue? I'd really love to know.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:24 AM

I can't say with certainty but I have been told there are some mixed politics involved. Some of the long-time landowners (and long time buddies of the commisioners) selling to developers don't want restrictions on building becasue then they cannot get the quick, easy and highest dollar money right now for their land - which is their goal. Having a plan for the town, slowing down growth, making developers jump through hoops is good for the town but puts a monkey wrench in the plans of the old timers that just want to cash out at high dollar on their land and leave the area - which many have done and seek to do.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmspeep View Post
I can't say with certainty but I have been told there are some mixed politics involved. Some of the long-time landowners (and long time buddies of the commisioners) selling to developers don't want restrictions on building becasue then they cannot get the quick, easy and highest dollar money right now for their land - which is their goal. Having a plan for the town, slowing down growth, making developers jump through hoops is good for the town but puts a monkey wrench in the plans of the old timers that just want to cash out at high dollar on their land and leave the area - which many have done and seek to do.
Wow! And then Northerners, like me, get blamed for all the growth!
I was just telling someone yesterday, who was complaining about how all the out-of-towners are creating all the congestion and "ridiculous" growth, that if the landowners weren't selling their land to the highest bidder, none of the developers would be building like crazy! Money talks, unfortunately. Can't say I blame them, though. Where are all the smart-growth plans??? The big political monster must have eaten them up!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:53 AM

well, fortunately the state is stepping in and helping by nixing the requests to grow the sewer plant at unrealisitic speeds - this helps greatly - they are denying and more growth on the plnat for now until they stop dumping into Twelve Mile Creek - thanks god the state has some sense

Old 12-28-2007, 09:45 AM

40 posts, read 95,215 times
Arrow State of growth in Waxhaw

You might be interested in looking over a presentation that the planning staff in Waxhaw put together for the December 2007 Town meeting which details all projects underway as well as those that have been approved but have not yet been built. You may request a copy from our Town Hall by calling 704-843-2195 or emailing Town Manager Mike McLaurin at mmclaurin@waxhaw.com. It should also soon be posted on the town website: www.waxhaw.com. (broken link)

Another resource that you may find interesting regarding growth issues in Union County is the Village Scribe at www.villagescribeonline.com. Or the new Waxhaw Gazette at www.thewaxhawgazette.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte