U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,446,850 times

Advertisements

So is anyone else concerned about VickyT's poisened dog situation? The poisening is bad enough, but I don't like the sounds of this guy who called and lives down the street followed by the footprints in the snow. My guess is that it's all related. Do I need to read less into it, or are you guys concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,784,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiT View Post
...When I answered the phone this person hung up. I returned the call immediately & the person denied he ever called me and said no one else has access to his phone. A reverse phone # check revealed that he lives on the same road as I do.
There are some other things that I would rather not get into on a public forum regarding the call. I will say that we have only been here 2 months and I haven't met anyone in the neighborhood yet, so I know no one has my cell# around here. My cell # is on my dogs tag...
Vicki, this guy definitely got your phone# off your dog's IG tag...no doubt in my mind about it. There's something very fishy & unnerving about him & all the coincedences surrounding her poisoning. I would also suggest motion detector lights around your house.

I'm glad to hear she's doing better! Hope she makes a full recovery, she is Gorgeous!!

BxRosie

Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 PM

693 posts, read 1,954,568 times
Quote:
We just recently moved to Union County...Waxhaw area. I was sitting at the kitchen table today with my laptop for a few hours. I have a Siberian Husky that is an outdoor dog. I was watching her from the window, as I thought it was nice that the temperatures are low enough that she feels as good as she does...she was playing like crazy in her own element.
I went out a few times and she was totally fine. About 10 minutes after I last checked on her, I went out to throw something away and I noticed that she didn't flinch when the door opened...from inside I thought she was asleep. I thought it was strange so I called her name a few times and nothing. I ran over to her and she started to get up and she looked horrible. She was twitching and couldn't stand up straight. She was terrified of me. I got really scared and ran inside to get my husband as I am pregnant and didn't want to get too close. At this point she started salivating like crazy and started having seizures.
She is now at the animal hospital and they do not know if she will make it or not. They did some blood work and it came back positive for anti-freeze poisoning. They have started treatment but will not know for 12 hours if it is working or not or if she will make it.
My husband searched the whole area that she is in (she's on a tie-out) and found nothing but some glass and old rusted metal she must have dug out of the ground.
Can someone offer me another explanation as to what may have caused this other than someone intentionally poisoning her? She is a quiet dog and doesn't bark or anything. You don't even know she's there. I can't believe this has happened.
I was wondering if anyone knew if this is something common and under-reported. The vet said reporting it to the police doesn't really help in anyway as there is no proof. What else can I do other than informing the neighbors? Should I call the HOA?

Hi Vicki,

As a former vet tech I can tell you that antifreeze poisoning is extremely common, and usually completely unintentional. Dogs and cats are drawn to the sweet smell and taste of antifreeze, and most poisonings occur from antifreeze mixed in puddles on streets and driveways from leaky lines.

Sorry you had to go through this.

Dame

Old 01-21-2009, 12:33 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Hi Vicki,

As a former vet tech I can tell you that antifreeze poisoning is extremely common, and usually completely unintentional. Dogs and cats are drawn to the sweet smell and taste of antifreeze, and most poisonings occur from antifreeze mixed in puddles on streets and driveways from leaky lines.

Sorry you had to go through this.

Dame
Well, the thing is, her dog was not allowed to run loose and her cars are kept in the garage nowhere near where the dog could have been exposed to any antifreeze?? Her dog was in its own back yard, not near the street.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,436,080 times
Hmm... After reading 10 pages of this thread I'd have to say that I concur with posts 39, 56, 67 & 71.
I'd say that that someone is sizing up you & your property for either a home invasion or something worse. You have a beautiful pup & she's probably very friendly. But friendly or not a thug would see her as a threat to be eliminated. Adding motion lights is a good first step, but you may want to add cameras as well to have proof that there is someone out there. Its possible too that this person knows your routines, so you may want to start doing things differently. Ask your neighbors if they've seen anything suspicious & by all means form the neighborhood watch. I'm glad that your girl has recovered.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,303,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
So is anyone else concerned about VickyT's poisened dog situation? The poisening is bad enough, but I don't like the sounds of this guy who called and lives down the street followed by the footprints in the snow. My guess is that it's all related. Do I need to read less into it, or are you guys concerned?
I agree, this is very alarming. I hope the police check into this.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:55 PM

452 posts, read 2,124,752 times
Quote:
<snip>My cell # is on my dogs tag.
I feel better that I reported that information to the police and filed a report with the information included. I may never know who, or why, but anything can happen. I have 2 kids with 1 more on the way and I know that anyone crazy enough to trespass onto my property and hurt my dog for no reason, can just as easily do the same to a human..<snip>.
OMG....you definitely did the right thing by reporting this to the police. I find this to be really distressing..people are crazy and you never know, not knowing your neighbors, who is around you.

When we lived in Concord, we adopted 2 dogs for our large fenced in backyard, for security and so my little girl would have them growing up with her, to bond with and protect her too. We adopted them from a dog rescue.

Almost as soon as we got them, when they were still puppies and being trained, out neighboor 2 doors down, who had been complaining about our NEXT door neighbors dogs for as long as we had lived there, immediately started complaining about ours! He had a dog too, and he left HIS dog in his house while he went to work and you could hear barking outside, the poor thing barked all the time- but none of us would complain....anyway, he called the police on my next door neighbor and they told him the dogd were well cared for and dogs bark sometimes, so as long as the animals were well cared for, there was nothing they could do. This made him angry so he started looking up obscure city ordinances and calling the police on these neighbors nonstop. He was a real nut job.

When he kept coming over when I was home alone with my toddler, my husband decided to return the dogs to the rescue group (who was ok with taking them back and actually had it in our contract that they come back if things didn't work out). I was so upset and my little girl was too...but my husband didn't want this man to try to do things to us while he was away at work. The dogs did bark SOME but not excessively. I am really sensitive to the fact that most people (myself included) don't want to hear continuous barking. The dogs would be quiet for hours and if they started to bark, the man would complain after 1-2 minutes, literally. He never even gave them a chance to be a nuisance by barking nonstop, he was angry if he heard them at all (meanwhile his little dog was cooped up yapping in his house!).

People are sick. I think you should find out as much as possible about the person who called your cell phone and stay far away- leave him alone and don't let him know you are checking on him, but just find out as much as you can so you can defend yourself....you know, make sure he has never hurt anyone before or done anything weird. Not to take action against him, but just to keep an eye on him and basically make sure he hasn't caused any trouble before. If we had asked in my neighborhood, the complainer guy was all over the place complaining about EVERYTHING He really needed to move if it was so bad! Before we had our dogs, the police even came out and happened to see me out, and asked me if I thought my nextdoor neighbors dogs were excessively loud. I said "No! I am a stay at home mom, I am home basically all day and all night, and his dogs NEVER bother me." and shrugged...

Old 01-21-2009, 02:57 PM

452 posts, read 2,124,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Hmm... After reading 10 pages of this thread I'd have to say that I concur with posts 39, 56, 67 & 71.
I'd say that that someone is sizing up you & your property for either a home invasion or something worse. You have a beautiful pup & she's probably very friendly. But friendly or not a thug would see her as a threat to be eliminated. Adding motion lights is a good first step, but you may want to add cameras as well to have proof that there is someone out there. Its possible too that this person knows your routines, so you may want to start doing things differently. Ask your neighbors if they've seen anything suspicious & by all means form the neighborhood watch. I'm glad that your girl has recovered.

Bolding is mine-- you know, I agree. I think this warrants security cameras outside your home because this makes me nervous that someone is going to mess with you again or that guy on the phone was involved and is crazy.

This worries me and I wouldn't feel comfortable living there. Report all suspicious activity to the police and see if they can't do some more checking on this guy.....but maybe the best thing you can do to get this stopped is install cameras so of something else happens again, you've got it on tape.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,303,060 times
Vicki, if the police don't do anything would you consider hiring a Private Investigator?

Old 01-21-2009, 03:13 PM

630 posts, read 1,674,721 times
I would definitely add cameras at this point. So if anything happens you have proof rather than just you saying that he was acting crazy or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte