Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 AM

61 posts, read 137,356 times

Advertisements

Back on the blog: contemplating a move to Charlotte this year. I am 70 and retired, my wife is 61. We will be buying in the 375,000 to 400,000 price range. Can anyone give me a quality comparison between the Lake Norman area and South Charlotte. Both seem to be very popular. We would be looking for a good mix of people and amenities, i.e. pool, clubhouse, etc.

Thanks in advance.

denny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:29 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny View Post
Back on the blog: contemplating a move to Charlotte this year. I am 70 and retired, my wife is 61. We will be buying in the 375,000 to 400,000 price range. Can anyone give me a quality comparison between the Lake Norman area and South Charlotte. Both seem to be very popular. We would be looking for a good mix of people and amenities, i.e. pool, clubhouse, etc.

Thanks in advance.

denny
You can have golf at either, but only water at one - does that matter?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 AM

Default Lake Norman v. South Charlotte

Can anyone give me a comparison between the two areas.Both seem to be very popular. My wife and I are retirees and would be looking for a good mix of people with amenities, i.e.pool, clubhouse,etc.

Many thanks.

denny

Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Gosh. Not sure how to do that . . . South Charlotte is older, many upscale neighborhoods, but then there is Ballantyne wh/ is new and upscale, as well . . . very well established areas in S. CLT as far as retail and medical . . . very convenient area.

LKN - still growing. Proximity to water makes it so nice if you enjoy boating. All sorts of housing, depending on price point.

You would really need to check out either area and just get the "feel" for what is there. Maybe others have a better way of explaining the differences. I tend to think of area N of CLT attracting a lot of families - and then right on the lake - expensive housing, so that attracts people w/ big budgets, LOL. Nice golf courses in both areas . . . I like the shopping and restaurants better from the city down to S. CLT, but that is just me . . .

ETA: substantial medical around LKN, too.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Can anyone give me a comparison between the two areas.Both seem to be very popular. My wife and I are retirees and would be looking for a good mix of people with amenities, i.e.pool, clubhouse,etc.

Many thanks.

denny
Denny, it's all in what you like to do I think...are you golfers, into tennis, boaters? What's your lifestyle?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 AM

Not into golf or boating. We are into swimming,however. I assume there are also swimming facilities at Lake Norman.

Speaking of medical: which hospital is closest to South Charlotte? How would you rate it? At our age, this becomes important.

Thanks again.

denny

Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,675 times
Quote:
I assume there are also swimming facilities at Lake Norman.
Very common assumption, and mostly wrong. I believe there is only one swimming beach on the entire lake (With the exception of the private beach for Duke Power employees). The shoreline is posted with no swimming from the shore signs. You can jump off a boat and swim, and you can jump off a private dock and swim, but there are no swimming beaches or swimming allowed from the shore! They are currently reviewing this policy and may change it, but you should definitely know the "score" before you move to the area because you like to swim.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Not into golf or boating. We are into swimming,however. I assume there are also swimming facilities at Lake Norman.

Speaking of medical: which hospital is closest to South Charlotte? How would you rate it? At our age, this becomes important.

Thanks again.

denny
We are fortunate to to have good hospitals north and south of the city. The two main competing hospitals are Carolinas Medical Center and Presbyterian - both have their main big hospitals uptown - which is central for most everyone. They each also have satellite locations around the city. CMC has a location in the south end of the city in Pineville (CMC-Pineville) - In the southeast there is Presbyterian-Matthews - so you are well covered. Up on the north end you have CMC-University (that's actually northeast), Presbyterian-Huntersville, Lake Norman Regional Medcal Center - gosh, I feel like I'm missing one or two...

Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 AM

620 posts, read 2,118,932 times
Not sure if you are looking to be in a retirement community, but Sun City Carolina Lakes is very nice. It is gated and has several clubhouses/pools and lots of amenities. It is in South Carolina just south of Ballantyne and South Charlotte. There is also a new retirement community going up in Matthews called Windsor Run.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 AM

Thanks again everybody for the help. As far as swimming goes, we'll probably have to find a house in area with a community pool.

denny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte