Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

I mentioned using molasses in my BBQ sauce to a newcomer and he was fascinated w/ that - had never heard of using molasses and wondered where to get some.

So that got me thinking . . .

What products are here that we locals use that maybe newcomers don't know about - or know to even look for?

So molasses is my first on the list.

I also introduced some of my midwestern friends to a great sauce I love to use when I cook meat indoors (altho many use it for grilling):

Dale's Sauce (I couldn't find it in the Midwest)

Here's another - Duke's Mayo

Can you all add to the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:11 AM

307 posts, read 715,584 times
Well of course my new favorite soda is cheerwine we did not have that in Va even though it's just one state away!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 AM

654 posts, read 1,210,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I mentioned using molasses in my BBQ sauce to a newcomer and he was fascinated w/ that - had never heard of using molasses and wondered where to get some.

So that got me thinking . . .

What products are here that we locals use that maybe newcomers don't know about - or know to even look for?

So molasses is my first on the list.

I also introduced some of my midwestern friends to a great sauce I love to use when I cook meat indoors (altho many use it for grilling):

Dale's Sauce (I couldn't find it in the Midwest)

Here's another - Duke's Mayo

Can you all add to the list?

Well, I don't know if this qualifies, but when I first moved to Charlotte I was introduced to the absolute brilliance of fried pickles.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Sun Drop, Mr. Pibb.......my wife love's sweet tea (which they don't have in the north)

Duke's Mayo down here is like Hellman's up north IMO......

One thing that bugs me is that I can't find My-T-Fine Pudding mix for my kids.....

Old 06-25-2008, 10:34 AM

280 posts, read 948,572 times
Not a condiment, but I use it almost as frequently - Carolina Blonde Beer.

Carolina Blonde (and all beers from Carolina Beer Company | Quality Craft Beers | Carolina Blonde) are fantastic. Made in Mooresville, NC. Also, the old South End Brewery (now called Woods On South) is a microbrew restaurant that also has all of the varieties of Carolina Beer Company's brews.

Try them out - I can promise you won't be disappointed.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
These are all great ideas/suggestions!!!!

JLK: I agree - gotta have a stock of Cheerwine!!!!

FP: Fried pickles! LOL! Yes, newcomers must try this!!!

CJack: Yes, I think Duke's is almost exactly like Hellman's - only cheaper, LOL!!! And we gotta mention Sundrop!!!!

Have you asked for your local grocery store to start ordering the My-T-Fine puddings?? Just ask - I know HT will order stuff I want!!!

Yum - Carolina Blonde . . . terrific recommendation!

Now you all keep posting . . .

Here is another product that is local . . . Wounded Warrior. Great stuff - from western NC - here is an article about the product and the man who invented it!!!

The Mountain Times Online

Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Sun Drop, Mr. Pibb.......my wife love's sweet tea (which they don't have in the north)
Jack, when Southerners drive north they stop to eat at Cracker Barrel. Sweet tea is on the menu.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:20 PM

279 posts, read 887,778 times
One of my southern favorites for breakfast is grits and fried livermush! My northern cousins won't touch it. We also love fried okra and they don't grow it up north. I'm one of those wierd people who loves fruitcake,and the best there is, is made in Bear Creek NC. It's called Southern Supreme.Check out their website at Southern Supreme It is owned and operated by the Scott family.Also anyone who loves country ham,Alexander's in Mooresville is the absolute best! I buy the center cuts by the case. They are good grilled!

Ani, where do you buy molasses? It's hard to find real black strap molasses,like the old timey mountain folks used to make. Have you ever seen this done? It's really amazing and labor intensive.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
Well, I don't know if this qualifies, but when I first moved to Charlotte I was introduced to the absolute brilliance of fried pickles.
Yummy...me too. The Penguin makes the best but I can almost replicate them.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:33 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Jack, when Southerners drive north they stop to eat at Cracker Barrel. Sweet tea is on the menu.
There ain't any cracker barrell's in Northern NJ where I'm originally from.

You don't start hitting them till you get to south Jersey I believe....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte